East Stadium expansion update coming tonight

Nexus

Those corners look pretty bare.....I think they should add more seats in the corners in the future of course.

Practically impossible. Extending the corners is impossible because half or all of the field would be out of view from those seats, blocked by the east or west stadium structure. (See this)

Giving south stadium an upper deck is the only thing that seems even remotely feasible after this expansion, and I'm not even sure that is possible.

If they don't address something as simple as the sound system while doing this expansion it would be practically criminal. Christ how difficult and expensive could it be to add a few more speakers, especially with our athletic budget

New seats will pay for themselves . . . speakers won't.

That said, I agree. I don't know much about commercial/stadium sound systems but you'd think that $100,000 in speakers in south stadium would be money well spent. (Again, I have no idea what it would actually cost.)

For a college basketball arena that seats 5,000 it costs about 100,000 for a decent jbl system. For a stadium the size of memorial and the fact that they would be outdoor speakers, we're looking at more like 1,000,000 if you truly want a rockin system with great bass. The length of cables they'd have to run, how high they'd have to hang them, and the sound boards they'd have to plug them into all play a factor in the cost.

For a college basketball arena that seats 5,000 it costs about 100,000 for a decent jbl system. For a stadium the size of memorial and the fact that they would be outdoor speakers, we're looking at more like 1,000,000 if you truly want a rockin system with great bass. The length of cables they'd have to run, how high they'd have to hang them, and the sound boards they'd have to plug them into all play a factor in the cost.

That's if you're going top shelf. We don't need that, and frankly, they could spend about 100K and have improved sound over what we have now. With ALL sound coming from the North stadium, they've got it cranked so high that you cannot hear yourself think over there, nor can you have anything less than an at-the-top-of-your-lungs conversation. About the 50 yard line it's OK, but the sound is grainy and muddled by noise from South stadium. In the South stadium you can barely hear anything - it's scratchy, muddled, and obscured badly by crowd noise.

What we have now is the worst of all worlds. What we could get with some mediocre speakers would be an improvement, if the sound system was spread out instead of centralized.

Honestly not a fan of the brick face of the east stadium, keep the stone look, the stadium has no brick anywhere else, so keep the flow.

True, but the horseshoe loop that runs in front of the stadium is paved with bricks and from the looks of it the entrance is only going to be about 50 feet from the street so it does tie the two together. Not to mention a lot of the sidewalks in campus are outlined with brick. I agree it looks a little different but that may be where the designers were coming from, trying to tie the campus into the stadium.

Honestly not a fan of the brick face of the east stadium, keep the stone look, the stadium has no brick anywhere else, so keep the flow.

True, but the horseshoe loop that runs in front of the stadium is paved with bricks and from the looks of it the entrance is only going to be about 50 feet from the street so it does tie the two together. Not to mention a lot of the sidewalks in campus are outlined with brick. I agree it looks a little different but that may be where the designers were coming from, trying to tie the campus into the stadium.

as are the nearby buildings (made of brick)