Last Saturday's Scrimmage Observations

Bradr

Pretty good quotes from one of the huskermax doods who was able to watch last Saturday's scrimmage.

Link

Juiciest Bits:

3.) Brion Carnes is the clear choice as Martinez's back-up. Cody Green looks to be in the number three spot.

4.) Carnes is not a finished product, but he plays with more poise than his age and experience than you would expect. One play called for a roll-out pass to his right. His first read wasn't open, but he bought enough time to spot an open receiver and hit him right in the hands. No happy feet for him. And his first step is a blur. Look for him to see a lot of playing time this fall. At first glance, Carnes makes you think of a young Turner Gill. Now I get why freshman QB, Jamal Turner is getting reps at wide receiver.

10.) Attempts to throw passes to Alfonzo Dennard's side were just that -- attempts.

13.) The last part of the scrimmage saw the #1 offense (with Brion Carnes at QB) get the ball six consecutive times on the #1 defense's 2½ yard line. The plays were right in front of me and you could feel the leather popping. The offense never did get in and the defense celebrated by yelling and chest-bumping each other.

13.) The last part of the scrimmage saw the #1 offense (with Brion Carnes at QB) get the ball six consecutive times on the #1 defense's 2½ yard line. The plays were right in front of me and you could feel the leather popping. The offense never did get in and the defense celebrated by yelling and chest-bumping each other.

Don't know whether to feel good about this, or not. I feel like throwing the bones for the Blackshirts. On the other hand, I feel like throwing a giant facepalm for the offense.

Don't know whether to feel good about this, or not. I feel like throwing the bones for the Blackshirts. On the other hand, I feel like throwing a giant facepalm for the offense.

Yeah maybe once or twice to cross the goal line...

I don't think it means much, there will be a lot of offenses struggling to get anything at all going against this defense.

Pretty good quotes from one of the huskermax doods who was able to watch last Saturday's scrimmage.

Link

Juiciest Bits:

3.) Brion Carnes is the clear choice as Martinez's back-up. Cody Green looks to be in the number three spot.

4.) Carnes is not a finished product, but he plays with more poise than his age and experience than you would expect. One play called for a roll-out pass to his right. His first read wasn't open, but he bought enough time to spot an open receiver and hit him right in the hands. No happy feet for him. And his first step is a blur. Look for him to see a lot of playing time this fall. At first glance, Carnes makes you think of a young Turner Gill. Now I get why freshman QB, Jamal Turner is getting reps at wide receiver.

10.) Attempts to throw passes to Alfonzo Dennard's side were just that -- attempts.

I support #4 juicy bit. I really believe Carnes is a serious contender for QB 1. I've said it since the end of the season so I can't stop now.

We won't know until the season starts, but we'll get our first inkling if Carnes is a contender in two days. Not much of a glimpse, but a glimpse.

I'm not hearing much about Green. Not a lot about Carnes, either, but as much about him as about Green, if not more. I would hope Cody isn't content with having had a couple of starts and some mop-up duty. That, or Carnes really is so good he's taking over #2. I would hope for more from Cody.

Yeah, that's good but that's bad. Maybe it's just a combination of a stiff Dline & defense is usually ahead of the offense early anyway (especially for a new offense). A guy can hope anyway. :corndance

Yeah, that's good but that's bad. Maybe it's just a combination of a stiff Dline & defense is usually ahead of the offense early anyway (especially for a new offense). A guy can hope anyway. :corndance

yup, hope and change......that's what i am waiting for.