Carnes Starter?

Trust me I'm not trying to jump on the spring game bandwagon. I've seen it plenty times where someone has a good game, and never sees the field during the season, or isn't productive. I am being serious though that I would have to think really hard about not having Carnes as the starting QB. He is a good passer and good runner. I'd take that over a great runner and bad passer (T Magic). Brion just looks so much more smooth and comfortable. Really really like this kid, also doesn't hurt he has some Touchdown Tommie ties. #winning

• Fire 1

I don't think there's any way Taylor doesn't start this year, and he'd have to do pretty badly to lose his job. But I think Carnes (just a RFr) is growing and there's a decent chance TM may not be a 4-year starter at QB. At some point this year or next, it's possible that Carnes will get his opportunity, and not let go of it. But that's a lot of ifs.

It's telling though, that of the two celebrated QBs from this class - a class that needed QBs - both probably won't make it. Starling I doubt is coming, and Turner probably stands as much a chance of moving back to QB as Prince did of moving back to RB back in '07. Right now, on this roster, Carnes is the future. It's too bad there isn't more class separation between the Future and the Present.

I actually predict an effective opening day depth chart of TM, Green, and Carnes. Brion showed his stuff today, but we can afford to be very patient with him, and not press him into service.

• Fire 1

I know it was only one game, but I think Carnes is our future. He looked very composed for a young guy and I think he made better decisions than his elders. He didn't force a lot of throws and ran when no one was open. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he's our starter come fall.

I even thought that Ron Kellogg looked pretty good.

I don't think there's any way Taylor doesn't start this year, and he'd have to do pretty badly to lose his job. But I think Carnes (just a RFr) is growing and there's a decent chance TM may not be a 4-year starter at QB. At some point this year or next, it's possible that Carnes will get his opportunity, and not let go of it. But that's a lot of ifs.

It's telling though, that of the two celebrated QBs from this class - a class that needed QBs - both probably won't make it. Starling I doubt is coming, and Turner probably stands as much a chance of moving back to QB as Prince did of moving back to RB back in '07. Right now, on this roster, Carnes is the future. It's too bad there isn't more class separation between the Future and the Present.

I actually predict an effective opening day depth chart of TM, Green, and Carnes. Brion showed his stuff today, but we can afford to be very patient with him, and not press him into service.

We'll have to see if TMart and Green can avoid the injury bug this season. I think we'll see Carnes playing significant minutes sometime this season.

It's been talked about all spring that Carnes was having trouble getting a handle on the offense and Bo's comments after the game should be enough to solidify what was once rumor. Brion won't know the offense well enough to run the show this fall, especially with T-Mart in front of him.

He has between now and September to study himself up to know the offense. Seemed to work for Martinez last year, cause Martinez was on the scout team before spring practice last year much like Carnes.

It's been talked about all spring that Carnes was having trouble getting a handle on the offense and Bo's comments after the game should be enough to solidify what was once rumor. Brion won't know the offense well enough to run the show this fall, especially with T-Mart in front of him.

And that's a shame, tmart better hope he doesn't catch a learning curve to quick.

He has between now and September to study himself up to know the offense. Seemed to work for Martinez last year, cause Martinez was on the scout team before spring practice last year much like Carnes.

The difference is that last year, Zac knew the offense already. There were two options during the summer: Zac's knowledge was going to stay the same because he knew it already so Taylor would either stay behind him, or he'd learn over the summer and catch up enough to be able to jump ahead of him (which happened).

This year it's a new offense, Taylor is going to be learning over the summer as well as Carnes. Since Taylor's already ahead of Carnes, he'll spend the summer learning more of the ins and outs and all the little details, while Brion is still trying to learn the basics. It's a completely different situation than last year.

The difference is that last year, Zac knew the offense already. There were two options during the summer: Zac's knowledge was going to stay the same because he knew it already so Taylor would either stay behind him, or he'd learn over the summer and catch up enough to be able to jump ahead of him (which happened).

This year it's a new offense, Taylor is going to be learning over the summer as well as Carnes. Since Taylor's already ahead of Carnes, he'll spend the summer learning more of the ins and outs and all the little details, while Brion is still trying to learn the basics. It's a completely different situation than last year.

Yea I see your point. I was just referencing last year on how a guy from the scout team can learn the offense enough the next year to become the starter.

So what your saying since Carnes and Martinez are learning this new offense together. With that I dont think Martinez really does hold an advantage. Coaches will go with whoever gives us the best chance to win, experience wont matter. See 2010 QB race.

The problem is that TM is the better athlete (when healthy). BC is probably a better QB, but he only has about 50% of the offense down at best. I think the offense is designed and really works better with who ever is the best athlete and its a greater edge if the best athlete understands the offense.

I think TM has a little bit of a mental block right now. I still think that injury is messing with him. I think it will continue for a while and that might be enough that if BC picks up the rest of the offense he'll get a chance at being the QB. Right now...I give it less than 20% chance of happening this year.

I know there isn't a lot of weight for stats of a single scrimmage, but I just think that this is funny:

Presumptive starter, Martinez, Taylor 4-13-1, 52 yards passing (-1 net rushing yard)

Presumptive #2, Green, Cody 4-11-0, 63 yards passing (-6 net rushing yards)

Presumptive #3 (or 4), Kellogg III, Ron 11-19-0, 124 yards passing (-12 net rushing yards)

Presumptive #4 (or 3), Carnes, Brion 11-15-0, 173 yards passing (40 net rushing yards)

All stats can be found here.