Carnes Starter?

What did we have to go on with Martinez?

My point is that everyone is scoffing at the idea of Carnes starting, but how is that in any way shape or form any more ridiculous than Martinez starting in '10?

And one scrimmage? You do realize that Carnes was the Scout Team MVP, right? The point is that the kid has the fundamental tools, both with his arm and his feet. His mastery of the offense will come later. If you can't already feel that Carnes has that "it" factor--the same spark that JT has, by the way--then you don't have a nose for football.

He has things that you cannot teach and it doesn't take long to see it. When it's there it's there. This is true for all the great ones. The first time I saw Rex play---at Mizzou '09---I knew he was going to be a great one. I had absolute confidence in him.

With Martinez, even when he was breaking those runs I was wondering how much longer he could keep doing that before the world caught up to him. More and more, Martinez looks like he has already reached his ceiling and will never again reach the heights he hit last year.

Whether this year or the next one, I strongly believe that Carnes will replace Martinez as our QB.

Scout team MVP? lol....oh Gawd. Oh yeah, fours years of being an All American at minimum. You bet. Probably two or three heisman's too.

Tmart has gap speed Carnes could only dream of and it doesn't take long to see it. Heh, just don't blink. I suppose you think that could be teached? If so, you not only don't have a nose for cfb but....oh well, nevermind.

I guess one spring scrimmage just isn't enough to make me "feel" if someone has the IT factor (whatever that is). But I wish the kid the best and I'm damned glad we have him. We'll see.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to know what your drinking.

I think your just arguing just to disagree with someone.

By the way your boy Martinez was on the scout team the year before he became the starter.

2 or 3 heismans you must be really high on something.

Hey genius, I'm not the one who claimed being Scout team MVP is a big deal. In your spare time, open a dictionary and look up "sarcasm".

My point is that everyone is scoffing at the idea of Carnes starting, but how is that in any way shape or form any more ridiculous than Martinez starting in '10?

And one scrimmage? You do realize that Carnes was the Scout Team MVP, right? The point is that the kid has the fundamental tools, both with his arm and his feet. His mastery of the offense will come later. If you can't already feel that Carnes has that "it" factor--the same spark that JT has, by the way--then you don't have a nose for football.

He has things that you cannot teach and it doesn't take long to see it. When it's there it's there. This is true for all the great ones. The first time I saw Rex play---at Mizzou '09---I knew he was going to be a great one. I had absolute confidence in him.

With Martinez, even when he was breaking those runs I was wondering how much longer he could keep doing that before the world caught up to him. More and more, Martinez looks like he has already reached his ceiling and will never again reach the heights he hit last year.

Whether this year or the next one, I strongly believe that Carnes will replace Martinez as our QB.

Scout team MVP? lol....oh Gawd. Oh yeah, fours years of being an All American at minimum. You bet. Probably two or three heisman's too.

Tmart has gap speed Carnes could only dream of and it doesn't take long to see it. Heh, just don't blink. I suppose you think that could be teached? If so, you not only don't have a nose for cfb but....oh well, nevermind.

I guess one spring scrimmage just isn't enough to make me "feel" if someone has the IT factor (whatever that is). But I wish the kid the best and I'm damned glad we have him. We'll see.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way your boy Martinez was on the scout team the year before he became the starter.

Hey genius, I'm not the one who claimed being Scout team MVP is a big deal. In your spare time, open a dictionary and look up "sarcasm".

I was just pointing out your boy was on the scout team. So for Carnes to go from scout team to starter shouldnt suprise anyone really.

You're genius that is proclaiming Martinez as a 4 time All American, multiple Heisman winner and so on. So in your spare time between pimping Martinez and whatever else you do, you could look up realistic expectations in the dictionary.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just pointing out your boy was on the scout team. So for Carnes to go from scout team to starter shouldnt suprise anyone really.

You're genius that is proclaiming Martinez as a 4 time All American, multiple Heisman winner and so on. So in your spare time between pimping Martinez and whatever else you do, you could look up realistic expectations in the dictionary.

I've never once stated Tmart would be 4 time All American or multiple heisman trophy winner. Take your lies somewhere else.

I know what you do. Spend every friggin day dissing our freshman qb beacuse he's a "somebody" and you're "not". End of story.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never once stated Tmart would be 4 time All American or multiple heisman trophy winner. Take your lies somewhere else.

I know what you do. Spend every friggin day dissing our freshman qb beacuse he's a "somebody" and you're "not". End of story.

You might have not said directly, but you might as well have said it. I may have dissed martinez for his play on the field, but never for his inteviewing skills and things like that. I have always said he wasnt our best option at QB he would have been better at WR or a DB. He is great athlete, but not a QB. The fact that his lack of pocket presence, indecision with the ball, passing machinics and so on further proves this case.

Everyone of your posts is defending/pimping Martinez, you might as well be blasted_imposter.

I have no horse in this race. I'm rooting for all of them though. Having said that, I ran across this article yesterday since it ties into the arguments being made here, therefore felt it was worth posting. The most interesting quote that jumped out at me was this:

Also, note the plays and formations he's running. I know we haven't truly seen Beck's offense, but this sure appears resemble what Beck and his players have been describing, doesn't it? (Not sure if Manatee ran any no huddle)

As a four year starter at Manatee, it could be argued that he's been running some form of our new spread for the last five years including the scout team in 2010.

I also thought it'd be interesting to post Brion's high school teammate RB Mike Blakely's highlight reel. Since Brion's highlights focus on his passing & scrambling abilities, Mr. Blakely's highlight reel shows the other side of Brion's skill set. FYI, there are also a handful of wildcat plays that Mr. Blakely runs in the video (he's #7) which I didn't include in the plays breakdown below.

The basic breakdown of plays executed in Mr. Blakely's highlight reel are as follows:

Shotgun Zone Read Option - 14

Shotgun Option Pitch - 5

Under Center (Handoff or Pitch) - 11

Shotgun Pass - 5

Last but not least, here are a few more quick highlights from huskers.com of Carnes in scrimmage that occurred the weekend before the Red/White game. More specifically the 0:53 and 2:13 marks.

I'm pretty sure Martinez showcased in the Oklahoma State game that he can stand in the pocket, deliver throws and deliver throws on the run before actually taking off. I know that OSU's passing defense was atrocious, but he showed extreme patience in that game so we know he is capable of it if he tries.

Furthermore, I'm really surprised this thread has reached page 5 and the same arguments are being made for either side. There are many logical responses here that people are either immediately disregarding or just oblivious to the truths they offer.

Read and analyze before you post, people.

First of all, I'm pretty sure I've read in here and other places that Watson had coached the QB's to avoid scrambling out of the pocket to look for open receivers? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain. Moreover, Martinez did show a good deal of improvisation vs. Okie State. Just youtube it.

Second of all, one of the reasons Bo picked Martinez was because he was Tyrod Taylor in preparation for the Virginia Tech game, and Martinez was absolutely blowing past one of the best defenses in '09 (including Suh), and this trend continued all year.

Carnes could start over Martinez, and that would be fine, but as of right now, Bo has said on record that Martinez would be the starter if they were playing a game today.

I used to be a huge Cody Green fan, and while I like the kid, he's just not our starter, and never will be. I admit that now. It's okay to admit things sometimes.

• Fire 1

My God you guys are technical. "Great" not in the sense that is going to break rushing titles (though he could), but in the sense that he is going to be a big-time, impact player for us. The first time I saw him play as a freshman, I said, "This kid has heart, fights for extra yards, and is going to be a leader. He's going to be a good one for us." And he's turned into the fan favorite I knew he would be. He is no Lawrence Phillips or Ahman Green, but he might earn similar respect in the lore of Husker football as a Mackovicka. Maybe? Point being, I knew Rex was going to be fun to watch the very first time I got to see him. I know I'm not alone. And I see the same things in Carnes and Turner. You are going to see a lot of dazzling plays between those two for years to come.

This is what I'm talking about when I say that some posters/fans are holding Martinez to a much higher standard than they are with other players on the team. I remember Rex Burkhead's freshman year - it was good. I remember his first carry - it was good.

Martinez's first carry, on the other hand, was a 46 yard touchdown run. If you saw that, and didn't think anything of it, while thinking the world of Burkhead, Carnes, and Turner, I guess I just have to assume that you were watching Helu on that play like the announcer was and must have just missed Martinez running into the endzone on his third play as a college quarterback.

Rex Burkhead looked good when he played in his freshman year. However, halfway through, he broke his foot, and he was out for 6 weeks.

Martinez was a borderline Heisman trophy candidate in his freshman year, and was basically the lone ingredient that turned our 2009 laugh-attack into a formidable offense in 2010. However, halfway through, he suffered a sprained ankle and turf toe, and tried to play through it. Instead of fans realizing that the kid was hurt and should have been on the bench like Burkhead was, they ripped him apart.

I can't think of many, or any, really. I can remember Martinez spinning around in the pocket like a top in our game at Washington, then finally deciding to run and picking up quite a few yards. It was more like a lucky panic than anything. So, yes, I suppose he's picked up some yards on broken plays. Based on the limited amount we've seen, Carnes doesn't seem to look like the play is ever really broken. The motion, the rolling out, the creeping, it all looks like it's part of the design. Again, that's the "IT" factor I'm talking about.

Ealier, I think I saw you post that the plus side to Carnes is that he's going to run around, roll out, and constantly be looking for someone to throw the ball to, while Martinez just tucks and runs when he "improvises." ... That's what we WANTED Martinez to do. The coaches had been telling him to just be decisive and hurt teams with his legs, because he can! That's what I want from any of our QBs, I don't want them wandering around in the backfield, constantly looking for something that's not there. That's how guys like Joe Ganz get 15 yard sacks, and we don't have Alex Henery to bail us out anymore.

Anyways, you wanna see Martinez improvise, just watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkdc4rsIH7o

My God you guys are technical. "Great" not in the sense that is going to break rushing titles (though he could), but in the sense that he is going to be a big-time, impact player for us. The first time I saw him play as a freshman, I said, "This kid has heart, fights for extra yards, and is going to be a leader. He's going to be a good one for us." And he's turned into the fan favorite I knew he would be. He is no Lawrence Phillips or Ahman Green, but he might earn similar respect in the lore of Husker football as a Mackovicka. Maybe? Point being, I knew Rex was going to be fun to watch the very first time I got to see him. I know I'm not alone. And I see the same things in Carnes and Turner. You are going to see a lot of dazzling plays between those two for years to come.

This is what I'm talking about when I say that some posters/fans are holding Martinez to a much higher standard than they are with other players on the team. I remember Rex Burkhead's freshman year - it was good. I remember his first carry - it was good.

Martinez's first carry, on the other hand, was a 46 yard touchdown run. If you saw that, and didn't think anything of it, while thinking the world of Burkhead, Carnes, and Turner, I guess I just have to assume that you were watching Helu on that play like the announcer was and must have just missed Martinez running into the endzone on his third play as a college quarterback.

Rex Burkhead looked good when he played in his freshman year. However, halfway through, he broke his foot, and he was out for 6 weeks.

Martinez was a borderline Heisman trophy candidate in his freshman year, and was basically the lone ingredient that turned our 2009 laugh-attack into a formidable offense in 2010. However, halfway through, he suffered a sprained ankle and turf toe, and tried to play through it. Instead of fans realizing that the kid was hurt and should have been on the bench like Burkhead was, they ripped him apart.

I can't think of many, or any, really. I can remember Martinez spinning around in the pocket like a top in our game at Washington, then finally deciding to run and picking up quite a few yards. It was more like a lucky panic than anything. So, yes, I suppose he's picked up some yards on broken plays. Based on the limited amount we've seen, Carnes doesn't seem to look like the play is ever really broken. The motion, the rolling out, the creeping, it all looks like it's part of the design. Again, that's the "IT" factor I'm talking about.

Ealier, I think I saw you post that the plus side to Carnes is that he's going to run around, roll out, and constantly be looking for someone to throw the ball to, while Martinez just tucks and runs when he "improvises." ... That's what we WANTED Martinez to do. The coaches had been telling him to just be decisive and hurt teams with his legs, because he can! That's what I want from any of our QBs, I don't want them wandering around in the backfield, constantly looking for something that's not there. That's how guys like Joe Ganz get 15 yard sacks, and we don't have Alex Henery to bail us out anymore.

Anyways, you wanna see Martinez improvise, just watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkdc4rsIH7o

Putting aside that Okie Light had a pretty laughable defense. I loved how our offense used playaction fakes out of gun and the pistol. That was the only game that seemed our receivers and QB seemed to be on the same page every play. It seemed when Okie Lights corners played up tight we had something over the top. Then when they backed off, played 5 yards off the LOS, we had comeback route after comeback route, it was like taking candy from a kid. Martinez did a great job of improvising with the ball, but I think the play action helped him be able too. This something we didnt see the rest of the season, which pretty much baffles me. Even with Martinez running on a bad wheel, why wasnt the playaction put into the game plan more????? Its almost like we shelved it when Taylor got hurt, we seems completely backward. You still have to impose your will on offense and still present that threat of a running QB, you may have Martinez run it half the time, but you got keep the defense thinking he could take off on any given play.

I gotta admit that was a fun game to watch if you love offensive football.

I think you're right about the playaction, huskerscott. I just think that Martinez wasn't enough of a running threat after his injury to keep defenses honest. We could run playaction all we wanted, the defense wasn't going to bite. It's why I'm very happy to see Carnes play well in the spring game, we need a number of guys that can step in and run the offense.

I really think it will take more than a spring scrimmage to see how good Carnes is. I remember when Cody Green was an incoming freshman and people were calling for him to start before he ever was on campus.

As far as Martinez he had the best year ever for a Husker Freshman QB and that was with an injury for half the season, Watson calling plays, and receivers who at times couldn't catch a football. If he had been healthy all year and had T.O. calling plays with the oline of the mid 90s how do you think he would have done?

I hope they are both 100% and we are lucky to have them both. Remember 1994 when Frazier had blood clots and Berrenger was able to step in?

• Fire 1

First of all, I'm pretty sure I've read in here and other places that Watson had coached the QB's to avoid scrambling out of the pocket to look for open receivers? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain. Moreover, Martinez did show a good deal of improvisation vs. Okie State. Just youtube it.

I think this should be corrected. Watson may have coached Martinez to do so, but that was not his MO with QBs. He apparently judged it would be a disaster if Martinez were given that leeway (Martinez did nothing to show otherwise, really). For example, Zac Lee was a QB with a little mobility who scrambled, and always kept his eyes downfield looking for a receiver because he was trained that way as a passer-first.

How about having open competition during the non conference schedule? The QB that looks the best in the non conference gets the start at Camp Randall.

There is no way that would happen. You use the non-conference schedule to gain a rhythm and continuity with the offense and work out all the kinks before conference play. You don't use non-conference play to mess around and find the best players. You should know who your starters are before the first game and you stick with them...unless it is a blowout. Whoever is the starter at the beginning of season will get most of, if not all the snaps during the non-conf games.