Carnes Starter?

The only reason why people are courting Carnes and dogging Taylor is because Carnes hasnt been given the oppurtunity fo F**k up yet. People are making him out to be the next coming of Christ after he had a decent SPRING GAME.

Although Carnes did have a good spring game that isn't fully the reason. Did you not watch the end of last year? It was absolutely pathetic. Obviously stats wise it was horrible, but his attitude was even worse, and he still isn't fully healthy. I think Taylor and Carnes can take us far. Just have to trust Bo and his decision.

The greater majority (mainly the second half) of 2009 was pathetic. People clamored for Martinez during the spring/fall and low-and-behold he started in 2010. He got injured, and the offense was pathetic to finish out another season.

Two seasons in a row, two different quarterbacks and both offenses were just embarrassing against above average competition.

I'm not clamoring for either quarterback, and obviously Martinez was a problem. How could he not be with the way he played to finish 2010? But two years in a row our offenses failed after injuries to our quarterback, which says a lot to me about the TEAM than just the quarterback. Championship teams should be able to perform better than they did when the starter got hurt, and I blame that more on Watson and his offensive unit as a whole than I do Martinez.

I still feel today that our offensive line and the coaching is the weakest facet of this team.

Enhance:

You state that : "Championship teams should be able to perform better than they did when the starter got hurt..."

I agree wholeheartedly. That said, NU is not a championship team --- when did we last win a conference? NU is nowhere near a championship team --- just a decent team, a fringe top 25 team... no more. It is just that our fans --- especially on this site --- somehow think NU is more and have expectations that are out of sync with what the immediate past or the present would suggest is reasonable.

We love our team... we all do. And, seemingly, many on this site see NU red like the NU red of the early 70's and the mid 1990's when we think of NU football --- or, at least project onto this team the expectations we had of those teams.

I reiterate... NU is so long removed from being a championship-level team that expecting from NU championship-level performance is well... really hopeful and not to realistic.

We have all sorts of problems on the NU team --- and I agree with you when you say that "our offensive line and the coaching is the weakest facet of this team." I can only add that the WR and Qb positions are also problematic as well --- both talent wise and coaching wise (or, at least we had coaching problems there... what we have now remains to be seen... but could not hardly get worse, could it?)

I should have worded that differently, because that's not what I meant.

I didn't mean Nebraska was a championship team last year, even though I would have said it was possible before Martinez got hurt and the other problems with our offense began to reveal themselves.

My point is that IF Nebraska wants to contend for championships, the offense has to be better than that as a whole. I think we can agree that for the last two years we have had a defense capable of winning a national championship game, only to have it squandered by a poor offense.

Once Martinez got hurt, the issues Martinez masked with this athleticism began to showcase themselves, and they were the same issues from the 2009 season.

But regardless of whether or not we were a championship team, a team ranked in the top 10 shouldn't have had an offense that bad when the starting quarterback went down. We should be better than that. We may be far removed from championship winning teams but not we should never be removed from expecting a certain caliber of play.

yea, so ummmmmmmm....... why do people call you the pine apple? jw

Apparently someone thought that was a way to slander me or something. I thought it was so absurd I wore a pineapple as an avatar for a while.

I'm gonna go with "tough on the outside, sweet on the inside".

As far as Taylor's injury goes, I think one of the problems is he can be at 90% health so to speak, but that hinders his effectiveness a lot, because he relies on that little bit of edge and explosion. "90% Taylor" might really be "50% Taylor".

Apparently someone thought that was a way to slander me or something. I thought it was so absurd I wore a pineapple as an avatar for a while.

As far as Taylor's injury goes, I think one of the problems is he can be at 90% health so to speak, but that hinders his effectiveness a lot, because he relies on that little bit of edge and explosion. "90% Taylor" might really be "50% Taylor".

Another thing people don't think about is how long these things actually take to fully heal. Anyone who's ever had any kind of athletic injury likely knows what I'm talking about. Especially with ankles or shoulders (like myself right now), where the bloodflow is poor, take a really really long time to heal up. Even moreso if you are constantly using the injured area, like Taylor would be if he is working out or practicing. Weird thing is, sitting around and not using the joint isn't really any better for it. You might not make the injury worse that way, but it still takes a hell of a long time to get back to 100%.

Actually getting from 90% to 100% is frustrating as heck.

Good point. It seems like the difference between "super Taylor" and "mere mortal Taylor" is very slim. At 100%, he can't be touched. At 90%, he is above average at best. This is the thing that gives me some concerns about his long term durability.

My guess is taking away both wheels lowers his ability to far less than 90%.

If we had anyone last year who could have carried his jock, he would have set most of the games after his injury. He was rushed into action due to having no on that could play at his level or even close to it. His terrible games again were bacause who ever we put in would have been worse, or at least the coaches felt that way. If he is given the opportunity to heal, or he takes the opportunity given, he will be what we needed the whole year.

Bag on those responsible for his latter half showing. That being a poor Oline, a terrible offensive game plan, and no preperation of other players or the lack of recruiting suitable players to run the offense.

Is he better than Carnes, we do not truly know, but as I read it Carnes was playing with the third and fourth string, guessing that is where the coaching staff felt he belonged. Again playing on the scout team is not facing true division 1 competition in game time speed and action. We have an All American, that mosts call amazing, unless they reside on this board. Injured he sucked, but most do when they depend on legs to win and both are screwed. Imagine that.

My guess is taking away both wheels lowers his ability to far less than 90%.

If we had anyone last year who could have carried his jock, he would have set most of the games after his injury. He was rushed into action due to having no on that could play at his level or even close to it. His terrible games again were bacause who ever we put in would have been worse, or at least the coaches felt that way. If he is given the opportunity to heal, or he takes the opportunity given, he will be what we needed the whole year.

Bag on those responsible for his latter half showing. That being a poor Oline, a terrible offensive game plan, and no preperation of other players or the lack of recruiting suitable players to run the offense.

Is he better than Carnes, we do not truly know, but as I read it Carnes was playing with the third and fourth string, guessing that is where the coaching staff felt he belonged. Again playing on the scout team is not facing true division 1 competition in game time speed and action. We have an All American, that mosts call amazing, unless they reside on this board. Injured he sucked, but most do when they depend on legs to win and both are screwed. Imagine that.

Oh, I agree. More to the 10 to 20% range is my take.

The only reason why people are courting Carnes and dogging Taylor is because Carnes hasnt been given the oppurtunity fo F**k up yet. People are making him out to be the next coming of Christ after he had a decent SPRING GAME.

Although Carnes did have a good spring game that isn't fully the reason. Did you not watch the end of last year? It was absolutely pathetic. Obviously stats wise it was horrible, but his attitude was even worse, and he still isn't fully healthy. I think Taylor and Carnes can take us far. Just have to trust Bo and his decision.

The greater majority (mainly the second half) of 2009 was pathetic. People clamored for Martinez during the spring/fall and low-and-behold he started in 2010. He got injured, and the offense was pathetic to finish out another season.

Two seasons in a row, two different quarterbacks and both offenses were just embarrassing against above average competition.

I'm not clamoring for either quarterback, and obviously Martinez was a problem. How could he not be with the way he played to finish 2010? But two years in a row our offenses failed after injuries to our quarterback, which says a lot to me about the TEAM than just the quarterback. Championship teams should be able to perform better than they did when the starter got hurt, and I blame that more on Watson and his offensive unit as a whole than I do Martinez.

I still feel today that our offensive line and the coaching is the weakest facet of this team.

Enhance:

You state that : "Championship teams should be able to perform better than they did when the starter got hurt..."

I agree wholeheartedly. That said, NU is not a championship team --- when did we last win a conference? NU is nowhere near a championship team --- just a decent team, a fringe top 25 team... no more. It is just that our fans --- especially on this site --- somehow think NU is more and have expectations that are out of sync with what the immediate past or the present would suggest is reasonable.

We love our team... we all do. And, seemingly, many on this site see NU red like the NU red of the early 70's and the mid 1990's when we think of NU football --- or, at least project onto this team the expectations we had of those teams.

I reiterate... NU is so long removed from being a championship-level team that expecting from NU championship-level performance is well... really hopeful and not to realistic.

We have all sorts of problems on the NU team --- and I agree with you when you say that "our offensive line and the coaching is the weakest facet of this team." I can only add that the WR and Qb positions are also problematic as well --- both talent wise and coaching wise (or, at least we had coaching problems there... what we have now remains to be seen... but could not hardly get worse, could it?)

I should have worded that differently, because that's not what I meant.

I didn't mean Nebraska was a championship team last year, even though I would have said it was possible before Martinez got hurt and the other problems with our offense began to reveal themselves.

My point is that IF Nebraska wants to contend for championships, the offense has to be better than that as a whole. I think we can agree that for the last two years we have had a defense capable of winning a national championship game, only to have it squandered by a poor offense.

Once Martinez got hurt, the issues Martinez masked with this athleticism began to showcase themselves, and they were the same issues from the 2009 season.

But regardless of whether or not we were a championship team, a team ranked in the top 10 shouldn't have had an offense that bad when the starting quarterback went down. We should be better than that. We may be far removed from championship winning teams but not we should never be removed from expecting a certain caliber of play.

What part of "new offense", "new offensive co-ordinator", "more line coaching", "silly incoming talent", and "fat slow opponents on the way" did you miss?

ITS BEEN ADDRESSED. STOP CRYING.

at least give the new staff a chance before you jump off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

What part of "new offense", "new offensive co-ordinator", "more line coaching", "silly incoming talent", and "fat slow opponents on the way" did you miss?

at least give the new staff a chance before you jump off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

:facepalm: GHOST? Is that you?

What are you even talking about?

Damn good point, Enhance. The only little point I disagree with is that 2009's offense was pathetic the instant it finished with the three SunBelt teams.

I would even further say Tmart's outrageously talent masked a horribly inept offensive scheme & coaching when healthy. He gets hurts...."poof!".....instant 2009 all over again.

I totally agree with your premise with the small exception that "possibly" the Oline's major problem was taking marching orders from a grossly incompetent OC the last three years. This year shows substantial improvement with the Oline or it's bu-bye Barney.

I don't know squat about the new offensive coaches or even what they're going to do but I figure odds are very high they'll do better than the previous ones. Yeah, that isn't saying much but there's a reasonable chance they'll do much better.

GBR!

I don't know squat about the new offensive coaches or even what they're going to do but I figure odds are very high they'll do better than the previous ones. Yeah, that isn't saying much but there's a reasonable chance they'll do much better.

This sums up my expectations for the offense quite well. I actually think even if our offense does not improve, but instead is just more consistent (i.e. not really good then really bad like last year but mediocre all year), it'll play right into the hands of what I expect to be a great defense.