RB depth a plus for Huskers

Just a few weeks ago we were lamenting the lack of depth, with several folks basically saying we were "Rex Burkhead and NOTHING" right now. Hard to argue with them - we have seen pretty much nothing from Austin Jones, Collins Okafor and Lester Ward, and all we had going for us was the hope of better days with incoming talents Aaron Green and Ameer Abdullah.

Then came the Spring Game and Ty Kildow's performance, which raised a few eyebrows. Was it a Spring Game mirage, or can the tiny former WR really carry the ball for the Huskers? And what of Braylon Heard and Mike Marrow, neither of whom are currently listed on the Roster?

Well, Bob Hamar of the Grand Island Independent is drinking the kool-aid:

RB depth a plus for Huskers

Pelini said he’s excited about what his running game will be able to do next season.

“I think we’re going to have an outstanding running game next year,” Pelini said. “Some of those true freshmen — we recruited those guys because we think that they’ve got some ability, and they’re going to be players.”

It remains to be seen if Green, Abdullah or Heard will be ready to step into the lineup, but Pelini is expecting help from at least a couple of those players.

“I’m hoping that a couple of them, if not all of them, will be ready to step up and help this football team,” Pelini said. “I don’t ever look at recruiting somebody, thinking I’m going to redshirt them. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn’t. We’ll see how it goes. I know those guys have the ability to help our football team next year.”

We know what we have in Burkhead. I'm not sold on the fact that we're in good shape at RB yet. But I have hope that we'll be good enough to move the chains.

I had hopes of Okafor and AJ really taking advantage of their opportunity this spring to step up and maybe be a solid #2 behind Rex, but i have heard nothing that gives me optimism that they will see any significant playing time this year.

Ty had a good spring game, I will be watching to see how he does in fall camp.

I also hope to see Leser Ward at his new hybrid tight end/H-back position this season, he will bring a level of athletecism that we havent seen from that position. (I still think of Kyler has a feild stretcher).

I'm taking Kildow with a grain of salt right now and not expecting much.

Remember last year's spring game when Austin Jones barreled his way through and nearly scored breaking at least 4 tackles in the process? What did he do last year?

Remember last year's spring game when C.J. Zimmerer was a human bulldozer? What did he do last year?

Remember last year's spring game when Cody Green threw for 150+ yards, including a gorgeous 72 yard bomb for a TD? What did he do last year?

Remember last year's spring game when KC Hyland and Will Henry looked like legitimate top tier options at Wideout? What did those two do last year?

Remember last year's spring game when Latravis Washington go dang near perfect on his throws and seem to know right when to take off and run? What did he do last year?

That all said... I had more concerns in 2009 about the running back position than I do now.

post spring 2009 we had Roy Helu who had yet to prove himself capable as an every down starter but was a very effective backup to Marlon Lucky. Very similar to Rex - but unlike Rex, Helu up to that point was seemingly quite injury prone.

We had no depth due to Quentin Castile leaving the team before the spring game.. at least this year the staff weren't caught off guard with who was going to be available.

We had two incoming freshmen who were going to have to carry a load in Rex Burkhead and Dontravious Robinson - very similar to Green and Abdulah (the latter are both more highly touted recruits though)

It was Roy + the two freshman or bust, this year we have two other potentially very good contributors coming in in the form of Braylon Heard and Mike Marrow, both with a few extra years of maturity on them as well.

I wasn't quite as sure about Beck's ability as a running-backs coach as I am in Ron Brown. - Not taking anything from Beck who is a great coach, but I think Brown is going to revitalize that entire position.

2009 turned out to be pretty good for the running game. I'm thinking this year will too.

I'm taking Kildow with a grain of salt right now and not expecting much.

Remember last year's spring game when Austin Jones barreled his way through and nearly scored breaking at least 4 tackles in the process?

Remember last year's spring game when C.J. Zimmerer was a human bulldozer? What did he do last year?

Remember last year's spring game when Cody Green threw for 150+ yards, including a gorgeous 72 yard bomb for a TD? What did those two do last year?

Remember last year's spring game when KC Hyland and Will Henry looked like legitimate top tier options at Wideout? What did those two do last year?

Remember last year's spring game when Latravis Washington go dang near perfect on his throws and seem to know right when to take off and run? What did he do last year?

Words of wisdom. Really would have liked to see LaTravis get in against A&M. Really would have liked to see more Will Henry all year. Really would have liked to see Cody play like he did in the Spring Game in.... any game last year.

I'm feel good about the talent of those true freshman, next year we should be ABSOFREAKINLUTLEY LOADED at RB. As for this year, I just hope at least one of them can step up and seriously contribute. If they're as good as the scouts say they are, chances are good someone will step up.

True, Rex is the only proven performer. But with the number of backs we have in the stable, plus the number of backs we have coming in, the odds are in our favor that at least one will be highly productive. Frankly, I'd be surprised if no one among Kildow, Jones, Okafor, Wade, Taylor, Morrow, Heard, Abdullah, and Green stepped up to make something happen.

Also, don't forget we've got Legate, too.

True, Rex is the only proven performer. But with the number of backs we have in the stable, plus the number of backs we have coming in, the odds are in our favor that at least one will be highly productive. Frankly, I'd be surprised if no one among Kildow, Jones, Okafor, Wade, Taylor, Morrow, Heard, Abdullah, and Green stepped up to make something happen.

what we are missing or need is a guy who is a threat to take it to the house on any touch.....find that guy and we will be a real threat offensively.

what we are missing or need is a guy who is a threat to take it to the house on any touch.....find that guy and we will be a real threat offensively.

We got him. Coaches just need to let him heal up.

A healthy T-Mart is that offensive home run guy, but if we rely on it like last year it will come back to bite us. Taylor needs a wideout to step up so our pass plays compliment are danger on the ground. It sounds so repetitive as it's always said but it's true