Athlon Sports 2011 Predictions: Nebraska

For the 45th year in a row, Athlon Sports will release its in-depth preseason preview annual complete with coaching changes, behind the scenes features, scouting reports from within the locker room, pages of recruiting rankings, and most importantly, in-depth predictions and previews.

Each year, we order some pizza and lock ourselves in a room until all 120 teams have been hammered into place. And every year, there are some seriously heated discussions that result in not-so-cordial commentary.

The 2011 preseason top-25 countdown will begin with No. 25 on Monday May 2. But every day until then, we will offer the college football fan a peek behind the curtain at some of the most heated debates that we the editors at Athlon had to work through.

The Debate: What will Nebraska's first Big Ten conference record be in 2011?

http://www.athlonsports.com/columns/5-burning-questions/2011-predictions-nebraska-cornhuskers

Definitely would disagree with the NC talk... but 7-1 in conference is not out of the question. I've heard a couple B10 guys say the conference will be offensive this year, which I would say hugely favors NU. I'm very confident the D will once again more than hold it's own, and in an offensive league you are looking at poorer defenses, meaning NU's average offense should be able to eek out just enough points to get a number of wins.

IF, Taylor stays healthy and plays like we all know he can, we will be in a ccg with the chance to get a national championship berth, let face it guys, this is not the bill callahan nebraska, we have 3 all americans, at 3 lines of the defense, i will be SHOCKED if we average more than 14 or 15 ppg by the end of the season, and our offense will flourish this year if magic stays healthy, we are stacked at RB, and the WR's SHOULD step up this year, o line will be great too, maybe i just have high standards and have been sick of these past few years when we could have done better, i think some will be surprised that we will most likely be favored in every game as well... Time to BRING THAT TROPHY BACK TO LINCOLN! In Bo we trust :bonez

-If- we come out with a Big10 CCG win and have 1 loss...to Wisky.

Alabama wins the SEC with 1 loss...to LSU.

OU rolls the table and finishes undefeated.

Both LSU and Wisky will get an at-large BCS bid (Rose and Sugar)

BCS#1-OU

BCS#2-??

Here we go.... :ahhhhhhhh

/end trash

Wish I was as confident as they all were. I'm optimistic, but until I see a healthy, pocket-aware, and fumble-free Martinez, I will remain somewhat skeptical...

I would love to see a healthy, poised, and polished Martinez, but I just hope if we don't see that Martinez Bo is willing to give somebody else a try. Leaving a shellshocked freshman running-qb that coudn't run in there was just absurd.

-If- we come out with a Big10 CCG win and have 1 loss...to Wisky.

Alabama wins the SEC with 1 loss...to LSU.

OU rolls the table and finishes undefeated.

Both LSU and Wisky will get an at-large BCS bid (Rose and Sugar)

BCS#1-OU

BCS#2-??

Here we go.... :ahhhhhhhh

/end trash

Don't hope for that scenario. Everybody knows the top SEC team gets to play for the national championship. Your only chance is OU getting beat and you guys running the table. Not saying it's right, but it is a fact of life in NCAA football.

I know that NC talk is a reach, but if we don't make a run at it this year it'll be a while before we have a chance again IMO. I do agree with all of what these guys have said, it will come down to the quaterback play.

I think our defense will be very good, at worst, as long as Bo is here. And our offense SHOULD get better and better over the next few years, unless Beck is a complete bust of course. Plus our schedule will be cake in 2013-14. Although this year could be rough, the future looks bright in my opinion.