Just curious...

Sorry if this topic has been covered previously...but how is it possible for Mich and OSU students to receive these gold pants in the first place? Isn't that an improper benefit? After seeing that they are worth thousands of dollars on a recent Pawn Stars it made me wonder, do our players receive anything like this? Does any other team that you can think of receive something similar?

IDK, but the whole thing is stupid. Tressel shouldn't have lied, but this whole thing is getting blown way out of proportion.

Pryor sells his TV for $300 = okay

Pryor sells a high school jersey for $300 = okay

Pryor sells "gold pants" award for $300 = Major NCAA infraction

???

Whether these kids sell this stuff is their prerogative as far as I'm concerned. Guys who sell their college awards for tats or cash are going to regret that when their playing days are over and they have an empty trophy case in their den. It might be a misguided choice, but it is their choice to make.

The NCAA needs to butt the hell out of this stuff. You've got SEC schools paying kids several hundred grand to come to their school and handing out cash like it's candy, and yet the NCAA doesn't do jack. Players at SEC schools are racking up felonies and misdemeanors like it's there job, and the NCAA doesn't do jack.

Meanwhile, an agent pays a player to leave USC early (i.e., a detriment to the program) and without any concrete proof that the school even knew about it, the NCAA nukes the program. Tressel basically shrugs his shoulders when his kids trade some trophies for tats and the NCAA is licking it's chops.

The NCAA's priorities are so out of line that I can't even take them seriously anymore. You suck, NCAA.

• Fire 2

Teams are allowed to give their players trophies and awards, and I guess that's what the gold pants are considered. Missouri gave their players Big XII North Championship rings this year. I believe Nebraska has done similar things in the past. Players are allowed to receive gifts when they go to bowl games, but there is a dollar amount restriction on them. Such earned gifts are not banned under NCAA bylaws, but they are strictly regulated.

Teams cannot give their players out-and-out gifts or they would fall under "improper benefits" and would be sanctioned. Further, NONE of the gifts or awards players earn can be sold for profit by the players - and this is where tOSU is running afoul of the NCAA. If this was allowed you'd suddenly have players being "paid" to play at certain schools, because all you'd have to do is let kids know that you give your players more gifts than the next school during recruiting.

Teams are allowed to give their players trophies and awards, and I guess that's what the gold pants are considered. Missouri gave their players Big XII North Championship rings this year. I believe Nebraska has done similar things in the past. Players are allowed to receive gifts when they go to bowl games, but there is a dollar amount restriction on them. Such earned gifts are not banned under NCAA bylaws, but they are strictly regulated.

Teams cannot give their players out-and-out gifts or they would fall under "improper benefits" and would be sanctioned. Further, NONE of the gifts or awards players earn can be sold for profit by the players - and this is where tOSU is running afoul of the NCAA. If this was allowed you'd suddenly have players being "paid" to play at certain schools, because all you'd have to do is let kids know that you give your players more gifts than the next school during recruiting.

That would be kind of humorous if it wasn't so pathetic.

We used to get runner-up rings for our intramural teams too

It makes you wonder what Missouri is going to sell to recruits now that they can't win (or share) Big 12 North titles. The answer is probably nothing.

Anyways, as far as this thread is concerned, are these rules stupid? In some ways yes. That said, football players know what they can and can't do. They already receive thousands of dollars to attend school, eat for free and exercise for free. You're getting a free education. Stop being idiots about it.

The rules are the rules and even if they're stupid the players still shouldn't break them on purpose.

IDK, but the whole thing is stupid. Tressel shouldn't have lied, but this whole thing is getting blown way out of proportion.

???

Whether these kids sell this stuff is their prerogative as far as I'm concerned. Guys who sell their college awards for tats or cash are going to regret that when their playing days are over and they have an empty trophy case in their den. It might be a misguided choice, but it is their choice to make.

The NCAA needs to butt the hell out of this stuff. You've got SEC schools paying kids several hundred grand to come to their school and handing out cash like it's candy, and yet the NCAA doesn't do jack. Players at SEC schools are racking up felonies and misdemeanors like it's there job, and the NCAA doesn't do jack.

Meanwhile, an agent pays a player to leave USC early (i.e., a detriment to the program) and without any concrete proof that the school even knew about it, the NCAA nukes the program. Tressel basically shrugs his shoulders when his kids trade some trophies for tats and the NCAA is licking it's chops.

The NCAA's priorities are so out of line that I can't even take them seriously anymore. You suck, NCAA.

Think of it more like a marriage between schools and kids. What you came in with is yours, anything "we" do together is ours. As an "ours" thing you do not have the right to sell it. When you get divorced (graduate) then it is yours and you can do with it what you want.

I guess my problem with this is that this is a normal game... I fully understand receiving a trophy or ring for doing something special, ie winning a league championship, but what's stopping any team for saying "well since you beat Penn St, you get a diamond earing and since you beat Indiana, you get gold fronts, ect..."?

I guess my problem with this is that this is a normal game... I fully understand receiving a trophy or ring for doing something special, ie winning a league championship, but what's stopping any team for saying "well since you beat Penn St, you get a diamond earing and since you beat Indiana, you get gold fronts, ect..."?

That's the issue. Apparently the Gold Pants thing is grandfathered in or something. They've been doing it since the 1940s or longer, and the NCAA has just accepted it. Maybe that kind of thing will change, or the value of these kinds of awards will be counted against their bowl swag money.

That's the issue. Apparently the Gold Pants thing is grandfathered in or something. They've been doing it since the 1940s or longer, and the NCAA has just accepted it. Maybe that kind of thing will change, or the value of these kinds of awards will be counted against their bowl swag money.

I dunno. I don't think it's different than us handing out Blackshirts.

Also, Pryor's TV and his high school jersey were things not given to him by the University or the NCAA.

It doesn't matter. It's his property. The school gave him a gift. It has a value, both market and nostalgic. He choose to realize it's market value at the expense of its nostalgic value. He will never have that item in his trophy case. That is a detriment that he has incurred. In exchange, he received a tattoo. It was a transaction; nothing more, nothing less.

The NCAA needs to stop worrying about whether kids trade their trophies away and start worrying about whether kids are committing felonies, going to class, or are being paid by the university to play.

???

Yup.

I'm not against the NCAA bringing heavy sanctions down on Ohio State. But a couple months after everybody saw Cam Newton and Auburn win a national championship? I guarantee Gene Chizik lied to the NCAA too.

???

Think of it more like a marriage between schools and kids. What you came in with is yours, anything "we" do together is ours. As an "ours" thing you do not have the right to sell it. When you get divorced (graduate) then it is yours and you can do with it what you want.

For your reasoning to make sense, then it should be Ohio State, not the NCAA, that is upset with his actions. And frankly, I could understand Ohio State suspending Pryor or sanctioning him in some way for pawning a gift they gave him. It's definitely disrespectful to the university, but an NCAA infraction? No.

Neither, frankly, is taking money from a prospective agent. That money is, at best, a loan for the athlete's promise to act in a certain way in the future. It does nothing to affect the athlete's conduct in an NCAA event, except for perhaps shortening the number of future events he will participate in. Look, if I was Reggie Bush and I needed a car, I could probably go into a bank and say, "I'm Reggie Bush. I am a star athlete and am going to be going pro in a couple of months. I need a car now. How about you loan me $50,000. Charge me a high interest rate; I'll pay it back when I get my bonus money after the draft." The NCAA has no right to interfere with such a transaction. In essence, that is all these agents are doing.

As far as benefits are concerned, the only thing that should be a penalty is a kid getting money from a school official, or someone acting on behalf of a school official, for their on-the-field performance in an NCAA event, whether past, present, or prospective.

I dunno. I don't think it's different than us handing out Blackshirts.

I could see that comparison. These gold pants are necklaces, not actual pants, but I could see Husker fans paying big money for blackshirts worn by the players, so it's probably about the same thing - an item the player could sell.