We are just not that much of a recruiting destination right now. I would say 'slacking' might not be too far off the mark, but with JP as the new RC I hope that things will pick up.

Our current commits are both pretty good I think.

But yea, unless we have a couple more legacy children who are elite 5-star talents, I think we'll consistently pull in classes where the 3 or 4 4-star kids are the cream of the crop of our haul. It remains to be seen, I think, if we can consistently get big in's with multiple 5-star talent kids that have 20, 30 offers. I think that DE from Ohio is one to watch though.

what exactly gives you the impression that we might be "slacking" in recruiting? obviously NU is a tough place to recruit to, given the low level of talent in our region, but our coaching staff has brought in three good classes in a row, including plenty of 4 star talent that NU beat out top teams for. i see no reason to think they won't continue to do so.

obviously we are unlikely to consistently have top 5 classes filled with 5 stars. that is endemic to our location and i hope no one has deluded themselves into thinking that's a possibility.

I think in each of Pelini's full classes we've inexplicably fallen behind and then had to make up ground at the end. Basically: we could be doing better.

I think the recent article on JP points to a change in attitude though. Recruiting is a constant, 12-month push. That may not have always been the case in the past. I think the staff realizes it's something where there are more resources to be utilized at more times during the year. At least based on that article, I hope so.

I also think there was too much pushback on attitude change when Pelini came in to replace Callahan. Everything seemed to be about doing things differently than how the previous staff did. Which was really good in many aspects, but reversing the change in approach to recruiting that Callahan brought probably wasn't one of them. TO set the tone for this early by landing Kreik, and then Cotton with his crazy comments about wanting some incredibly high percentage of the team to be Nebraska natives.

Small class this year. nebraska is focusing on an area they are not as familiar in. They also feel they can be a little picky. the responses they are getting are actually really good. trust me, once the season starts rolling, Once a Greg McMullen commits and a Brandon Beaver, then it will all start to roll. Ohio St game will be a game where they get 3-4 commits.

Wow, this thread usually doesn't get rolling each year until about July or August. Posters will complain about how the coaches aren't "putting in the effort", and then others will come in and tell the first group they don't know what they're talking about. Things will get heated, several assistant coaches will be singled out as "the problem", and then everyone forgets the whole thing once the season starts. Occasionally in Dec. or Jan. when recruiting looks good (and the season is on hiatus), a few "I told you so" shots are sent, followed by a few return volleys when a player decommits towards the end.

Did I miss anything?

• Fire 2

I think in each of Pelini's full classes we've inexplicably fallen behind and then had to make up ground at the end. Basically: we could be doing better.

I think the recent article on JP points to a change in attitude though. Recruiting is a constant, 12-month push. That may not have always been the case in the past. I think the staff realizes it's something where there are more resources to be utilized at more times during the year. At least based on that article, I hope so.

I also think there was too much pushback on attitude change when Pelini came in to replace Callahan. Everything seemed to be about doing things differently than how the previous staff did. Which was really good in many aspects, but reversing the change in approach to recruiting that Callahan brought probably wasn't one of them. TO set the tone for this early by landing Kreik, and then Cotton with his crazy comments about wanting some incredibly high percentage of the team to be Nebraska natives.

i know there's been occasional grousing about a lack of staff effort(typically during the off-season), but i've yet to see any real evidence of it or how it caused us to miss on any kids. what i do see is evidence that this staff has done a good job with recruiting, both in rankings and in the quality of players they are putting on the field. on top of that, they seem to be doing a great job of taking kids with high character that stay out of trouble.

i understand the early consternation over the kreik offer and the worries that we'd start offering every mediocre farm kid in the state, but i, again, have seen no evidence that this staff reaches on scholarships to NE kids just to get keep local flavor. the kreik offer did seem a bit odd, but other than that, who have we reached on? cotton? seems like the coaches nailed that one. sutton probably is this year, but we had a desperate need at TE, so it's understandable. no, what the coaches have done a great job of is really working the walk-on program again. that is where we can start to regain an old advantage.

obviously we can always be doing something better, and i hope papuchis does lead us into even greater heights of recruiting, but i just don't get the continued complaints about staff effort, particularly when our staff already has to work so much harder than other top schools due to our location and weather.

speaking of work, do you really think this staff doesn't work as hard at recruiting as callahan did? what exactly do you think they changed in recruiting from that era?