Big 10 To Aid Living Expenses

Makes me a sad panda to think about some of the tough backgrounds some of these recruits come from. Anything to help them out with basic necessities while attending school should be done.

But where would they be if they weren't playing for a university? Most of these types of kids would not attend and/or complete college without the scholarship. Would they be in a warm dorm room every night? Nope. In classroom/practices/school events during the day? Nope. Fed 3 times a day in the athletic cafeteria? Nope. Recieve top of the line medical care for 4-5 years? Nope. Most would still be on the streets, or working for min-wage.

It sucks the lives that some of these kids are plucked out of...but it's important to remember the oportunity they are receiving. An education, structure, etc. They can afford a toothbrush, snacks, clothes. They don't need $150 a month cell bill, or HD cable. Some of this problem is a product of our society today, and the how peoples' "needs" have changed so dramatically.

You can't tell me Pryor had to sell his stuff to pay mom's bills. Look at the designer jeans the kid is wearing, the 25 pairs of shoes in his closet, his watch, etc. I'd bet my house that Pryor has spent more time vacationing around the country in the last 4 years than I have in 10. Perhaps our student athletes need a reality-check in regards to their priorities before the validity of a payment can be determined.

Yea, they get a free education, but you gotta live, too.

My schooling is paid for, but I'd be in trouble if I didn't have time to at least work a part time job while going.

Players already get stipends on top of their scholarships if I'm not mistaken. I don't know too many student athletes that are having problems making ends meet while in school. Their families may be a different story though. Some families rely on their children to pitch in during and after high school to make ends meet.

I think the majority of supporters feel that schools make a lot of money of the backs of young student athletes and that they need to be compensated more than they currently are. Although it is a good theory and would likely be well received by larger universities, and obviously the athletes themselves, smaller universities will find it difficult to financially compete even if it's properly regulated.

If it does come to fruition, they are going to need to create significant amount of guidelines and regulations. I would much prefer to give back to the student athletes by sinking the money into better facilities and equipment (much like Nebraska has/is doing).

Players do NOT get stipends. They did 20 years ago, they don't now.

A "Full-Ride" college scholarship covers Tuition, Books, University Fees and the cost of a dorm room. THAT'S IT.

That scholarship doesn't cover parking, gas, laundry, insurance, car payments, groceries and daily essentials, entertainment etc. It also doesn't cover extra rent you would have to pay if you live outside a dorm (many older players are married and can't live in dorms for example and others join a greek house, many of which have rent/member fees associated with them) and it doesn't even cover a lot of extra course and lab fees that many classes require.

Even on a "Full-Ride" scholarship it costs somewhere between $2,000 and $3,000 a year out of your own pocket to be a student-athlete at a major university.. and that's living fairly meagerly. And unlike their academic scholarship brethren who get the same monetary benefits but don't bring in anywhere close to the notoriety or money to the university that the athletic scholarship students do, the student-athletes have to do all of that without having a job because according to coaches, their sport is supposed to be their job.

The NCAA should take a slice of the money football bowl games and the basketball tournament and set it aside to provide low interest loans to student athletes with some stipulations on academic performance and community service for partial forgiveness upon graduation.

I can't imagine that every D1 athletic program can afford to provide money for living expenses to all their student athletes. It would be a terrible precedent to set.

I have mixed feelings about this for the same reasons most people do - everyone making piles of money off of the kids except for the kids.

However, I call BS on them actually needing the extra money. I say this as someone who is attending UNL right now with grants and loans, and I don't have a job. I have no trouble paying for the stuff I need, and I'm not frugal. If they're running out of money it's probably because they're spending it on things they don't need, or as someone else said, they're supporting their family. (And in that case it's sad that that's on their shoulders)

They should get a loan if needed similar to a student loan or get a percentage of sales sold in their name earning more the longer they stay. A NCAA approved agent who can give them cash in advance and collect on draft day when they make the big leagues.

Could these guys get a student loan to help defray living expenses? I am not against giving them some sort of living stipend, but I think it should be the same for all sports athletes. Only the academically talented and the sports men and women shouldn't have to carry some sort of student loan post college.

Makes me a sad panda to think about some of the tough backgrounds some of these recruits come from. Anything to help them out with basic necessities while attending school should be done.

But where would they be if they weren't playing for a university? Most of these types of kids would not attend and/or complete college without the scholarship. Would they be in a warm dorm room every night? Nope. In classroom/practices/school events during the day? Nope. Fed 3 times a day in the athletic cafeteria? Nope. Recieve top of the line medical care for 4-5 years? Nope. Most would still be on the streets, or working for min-wage.

It sucks the lives that some of these kids are plucked out of...but it's important to remember the oportunity they are receiving. An education, structure, etc. They can afford a toothbrush, snacks, clothes. They don't need $150 a month cell bill, or HD cable. Some of this problem is a product of our society today, and the how peoples' "needs" have changed so dramatically.

You can't tell me Pryor had to sell his stuff to pay mom's bills. Look at the designer jeans the kid is wearing, the 25 pairs of shoes in his closet, his watch, etc. I'd bet my house that Pryor has spent more time vacationing around the country in the last 4 years than I have in 10. Perhaps our student athletes need a reality-check in regards to their priorities before the validity of a payment can be determined.

KCHusker_Chris--I agree that these athletes do not need to live anywhere near an opulent lifestyle while attending college. But I doubt Trev would had brought up the example from his playing days if this player didn't have clothes, but the player blew his stipend on video games and Ho-Hos.

IMO, Trev brought this up as an example that, after basics, there's just not a lot left over. Clothing (nothing fancy or brand name, mind you--Old Navy, Wheelers, or K-Mart/Wal-Mart clothes will do) would be considered a necessity by most.

I have mixed feelings about this for the same reasons most people do - everyone making piles of money off of the kids except for the kids.

How is DoNU making money off of the kids?

My understanding was that the NU AD was a non-profit that used zero taxpayer money. That would mean the AD, save for rainy day funds and development, can't sock money away or make a profit--they have to put that money back into the other athletic programs (which they do).

My schooling is paid for, but I'd be in trouble if I didn't have time to at least work a part time job while going.

Players already get stipends on top of their scholarships if I'm not mistaken. I don't know too many student athletes that are having problems making ends meet while in school. Their families may be a different story though. Some families rely on their children to pitch in during and after high school to make ends meet.

I think the majority of supporters feel that schools make a lot of money of the backs of young student athletes and that they need to be compensated more than they currently are. Although it is a good theory and would likely be well received by larger universities, and obviously the athletes themselves, smaller universities will find it difficult to financially compete even if it's properly regulated.

If it does come to fruition, they are going to need to create significant amount of guidelines and regulations. I would much prefer to give back to the student athletes by sinking the money into better facilities and equipment (much like Nebraska has/is doing).

A "Full-Ride" college scholarship covers Tuition, Books, University Fees and the cost of a dorm room. THAT'S IT.

That scholarship doesn't cover parking, gas, laundry, insurance, car payments, groceries and daily essentials, entertainment etc. It also doesn't cover extra rent you would have to pay if you live outside a dorm (many older players are married and can't live in dorms for example and others join a greek house, many of which have rent/member fees associated with them) and it doesn't even cover a lot of extra course and lab fees that many classes require.

Even on a "Full-Ride" scholarship it costs somewhere between $2,000 and $3,000 a year out of your own pocket to be a student-athlete at a major university.. and that's living fairly meagerly. And unlike their academic scholarship brethren who get the same monetary benefits but don't bring in anywhere close to the notoriety or money to the university that the athletic scholarship students do, the student-athletes have to do all of that without having a job because according to coaches, their sport is supposed to be their job.

Full ride scholorships should not cover things that are personal choices. No car???? no car payment, no insurance, no gas, no parking fees. If a player chooses to live off campus they get the cost of a dorm room already, why pay them more money for that choice. Dont want to sound like a dick, but how many spouses have worked to pay for the others college. I bet that scholarship athletes eat better at the training table than any other student does.

What other benefit does a scholarship athlete get??? They get the opportunity to leave college with a degree and be debt free (no student loans).

if they choose to have all of the "nice to have" not "need to have" what is stopping them from taking out student loans? is there a NCAA Rule that says a full scholarship athlete cannot take out a student loan?

Full ride scholorships should not cover things that are personal choices. No car???? no car payment, no insurance, no gas, no parking fees. If a player chooses to live off campus they get the cost of a dorm room already, why pay them more money for that choice. Dont want to sound like a dick, but how many spouses have worked to pay for the others college. I bet that scholarship athletes eat better at the training table than any other student does.

What other benefit does a scholarship athlete get??? They get the opportunity to leave college with a degree and be debt free (no student loans).

if they choose to have all of the "nice to have" not "need to have" what is stopping them from taking out student loans? is there a NCAA Rule that says a full scholarship athlete cannot take out a student loan?

Just for the sake of argument lets compare this to a student on a full academic scholorship. The academic gets full tuition, room and board - just like the athlete. The academic generally must maintain above a 3.5 which takes a lot more studying so you could argue that their job at school is to study just like it is argued that the athletes job is to play their sport. Here is where you run into a problem though. If the academic wants extra money to spend on movies, comics, paying the difference to live off campus - they can get a part time job. The athlete is forbidden from doing this. Why should they be forced to take out a student loan? Other students can work while they are in college so they don't go in debt - but we make that off limits to the athletes.

To be fair - you HAVE to make it off limits to the athletes or you would have them doing minimum wage jobs for $1000 an hour at some boosters place of buisiness. Since the standard method of making some extra cash is forbidden to them it makes perfect sense that the university/conference steps in and does something about it in a logical and controlled manner.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26992/clarifying-big-tens-scholarship-upgrade-plan

Here's kinda a layout from Adam Rittenberg

Here are some key points:

This is a scholarship structural issue; it's not about stipends or salaries for athletes. The Big Ten is proposing whether a full scholarship (grant-in-aid) should cover more costs than it already does. Scholarships currently cover tuition and fees, room and board and books. The proposal would have scholarships potentially cover "cost of attendance," a dollar figure set by each institution according to federal regulations for financial aid. The difference between the current scholarship cost and one that covers cost of attendance has been estimated at an average of $2,000-$5,000 per athlete per year.

If the proposal is adopted at the NCAA level (more on this later), it would affect every athlete on a full scholarship. A women's soccer goalie would have the same scholarship structure as a quarterback. "What we're talking about is not limited to football and men's basketball," Hawley said. The proposal wouldn't impact athletes on partial scholarships.

This wouldn't be a case of the Big Ten going out on its own to adopt a new policy. An NCAA bylaw would need to be changed, Hawley said, for anything to go into effect. Any NCAA insituation or league then would have the option to change its scholarship structure or keep the status quo. "To think this is something we could do on our own and leave everybody else behind, it's not reality," Hawley said.

Keep in mind that cost of attendance figures represent maximums. The proposal would allow schools to have the option to reach the cost of attendance. "It wouldn't be a mandate," Hawley said. Schools also could structure their scholarships so more costs are covered but the full cost of attendance isn't reached. This is akin to some schools not using the maximum number of allowed scholarships for a given sport.

Hawley said the proposal had been brewing for a bit but wasn't brought up in a league-wide forum until the spring meetings last week in Chicago. The discussion hasn't reached a phase in which every school evaluates its ability to restructure scholarships in this way. "The reality is it would cost more money," Hawley said. "There's certainly a presumption that institutions with more resources would be able to do it."

I'm sure we'll be talking much more about this topic, so stay tuned.

feel free to edit mods if I put too much.