Husker Offense Revealed?

change with Garrison? But Garrison was already here last year, wasn't he? Perhaps the new responsibilities will let him exert more influence over the group, but it's hard to imagine a night-and-day difference there...

GA's and interns are limited in their roles and most are mostly responsible for film work. Garrison actually did very little with the line as far as actual coaching before. He's certainly impressing people with his work now including his recruiting. To quote JP at a dinner a week or so in Texas "Watch Garrison. He's going to embarrass the rest of us." Beck, JP and Bo have more than once commented on what a great coach he's going to be. The guy gets it.

Great to hear. Thanks :)

I still think Martinez will start. If he remains healthy and can hang onto the job with Carnes at his heels, remains to be seen, but I am almost sure Martinez will start.

The offense will probably be more spread oriented, with us doing-away with our Ace/Singleback formations and we will probably work rarely out of the I-formation, we will see Pistol as well and rely heavily on 3,4,5 Shotgun sets, hybrid tight ends, and I still believe we will see A LOT of read option, speed option, triple option, with a lot of motion, and even motion on passing plays, to get a different feel for the defense, mixing up screens, quick passing, and god forbid, maybe, JUST MAYBE, a post route over the middle of the field.

Maybe...

Also, it seems that Beck knows how to get playmakers on the field. He seems to work with what he has at all of his coaching stops, that will go a long way for our offense this year, a long way, it could be the difference maker.

Either way, I'm excited to see it, but I'm sure we won't see everything by week 5. ;)

• Fire 1

I still think Martinez will start. If he remains healthy and can hang onto the job with Carnes at his heels, remains to be seen, but I am almost sure Martinez will start.

The offense will probably be more spread oriented, with us doing-away with our Ace/Singleback formations and we will probably work rarely out of the I-formation, we will see Pistol as well and rely heavily on 3,4,5 Shotgun sets, hybrid tight ends, and I still believe we will see A LOT of read option, speed option, triple option, with a lot of motion, and even motion on passing plays, to get a different feel for the defense, mixing up screens, quick passing, and god forbid, maybe, JUST MAYBE, a post route over the middle of the field.

Maybe...

Also, it seems that Beck knows how to get playmakers on the field. He seems to work with what he has at all of his coaching stops, that will go a long way for our offense this year, a long way, it could be the difference maker.

Either way, I'm excited to see it, but I'm sure we won't see everything by week 5. ;)

I expect we'll see a lot more true option plays this year rather than just read option. If I'm not mistaken, the last time we used a triple option last year was against Idaho and it worked for a 10+ yard gain and a first down.

I could easily see 3-5 plays out of the 50-60 we run a game being more traditional option plays but out of the shotgun.

• Fire 1

I expect we'll see a lot more true option plays this year rather than just read option. If I'm not mistaken, the last time we used a triple option last year was against Idaho and it worked for a 10+ yard gain and a first down.

I agree. We will see some Read Option/Zone Read, but I also bet we will see more option plays of "Do I keep it here, or do I pitch it" when moving East/West up the field as opposed to "Reading and deciding to hand it off or not" with our option plays from last year.

There are option plays that don't require reads from the instant we snap the ball, which in our case of the old days, would be a snap, turn, and go, and then read the outside coverage and either cut up field or make the pitch to the running back. But we did run some true Triple Option out of the I-Formation during the Osborne/Solich years. But I'm sure we all know and remember those. :)

And yes, that was the last time we saw a Triple Option was against Idaho. Rex Burkhead was motioned, then a fake or an actual read to the running back, and then Martinez pitched the ball up-field to Rex.

I could have swore it was Niles receiving the pitch...but it was not once I found the play.

Fast forward to 02:00 if you want to see the play:

After seeing that play, I was CERTAIN we would see MORE of that moving forward, but that was the last time we saw it. I bet some of that is just scratching the surface of what we will be doing this year, at least that is my hope anyway.

I could easily see 3-5 plays out of the 50-60 we run a game being more traditional option plays but out of the shotgun.

This times a million. I've heard a rumor on this board that someone said they saw "option almost out of every formation" a few months ago. That's the kind of offense I would run, just having the THREAT of anyone getting the ball on an option play in ANY formation can be a great thing to have.

I agree. We will see some Read Option/Zone Read, but I also bet we will see more option plays of "Do I keep it here, or do I pitch it" when moving East/West up the field as opposed to "Reading and deciding to hand it off or not" with our option plays from last year.

There are option plays that don't require reads from the instant we snap the ball, which in our case of the old days, would be a snap, turn, and go, and then read the outside coverage and either cut up field or make the pitch to the running back. But we did run some true Triple Option out of the I-Formation during the Osborne/Solich years. But I'm sure we all know and remember those. :)

And yes, that was the last time we saw a Triple Option was against Idaho. Rex Burkhead was motioned, then a fake or an actual read to the running back, and then Martinez pitched the ball up-field to Rex.

I could have swore it was Niles receiving the pitch...but it was not once I found the play.

Fast forward to 02:00 if you want to see the play:

After seeing that play, I was CERTAIN we would see MORE of that moving forward, but that was the last time we saw it. I bet some of that is just scratching the surface of what we will be doing this year, at least that is my hope anyway.

This times a million. I've heard a rumor on this board that someone said they saw "option almost out of every formation" a few months ago. That's the kind of offense I would run, just having the THREAT of anyone getting the ball on an option play in ANY formation can be a great thing to have.

You bet! With the awesome speed we'll have in our backfield it sure sounds like a winner to me too.

I took that w/ a grain of salt when I heard it. If any college team on the level of Nebraska used a HS offense, I'm not sure we'd have a lot of success. Maybe 10% of our offense encompasses what he ran in HS, but the other 90% and 300 plays make up chapters 2-13 in the playbook. Usually HS offenses revolve around a halful of formations. I don't think "multiple" really describes any HS offense I've seen play. Plenty of HS's run the spread - but a HS spread != Oklahoma's spread.

Gus Malzahn runs a high school offense, he did at Arkansas and is at Auburn.

High school offenses are not what they used to be. Good programs get the chance to work with kids pretty much year round. I was on a staff where PE class turned into our Bigger-Faster-Stronger class and 3 days a week, during the "off season" we met in the morning to run through formations and plays for about 40 minutes before school.

That was year round, well, we took off from the end of the season until Feb. So I guess we took two months off.

The key was putting in formations. Most coaches will tell you that its not the routes or the play call it is the formations that are a pain to deal with and to teach.

Yeah. . as it stand now it looks like the fall competition will kind of sort things out and according to all parties it should be a fun fall camp at the QB spot. I know the coaches think the world of TMart. . that's very very clear when talking with them and there is a bunch of no public stuff that the fans will never know about that really put things in perspective. The coaches think the players do have his back as well so that's good news. They also think Carnes is a great great player and has a chance to be special. One thing that was stated was that BC strengths as a QB is that he really knows what to do to make plays but the issue he's got to over come is knowing what not to do. So for every 2 or 3 good things he shows he turns around and does 2 no-nos. If BC fixes the no-nos I think he probably passes Tmart as his all around skill set is better even though Tmart is a far better athlete. That being said, I was caught a little off guard when talking to a pretty informed individual but he was a little concerned how BC would react this fall when the coaches will give Tmart the opportunity to really step up and prove he's the starter and develop further as a QB. The indication was he might be a little put out that at times other QB's will get a chance at the starting role. I think part of it is just that BC has an extreme desire to compete and win (sounds like Tommy)but thinking about it a few days later it could have been related to immaturity too. I wish I would have asked.

Normally I always worry with there is a QB battle especially when one guy has been the starter and all QB's on the team are good guys. The team can easily be split as guys choose sides. The good news in all of this young QB stuff is that while that position on the team is important those guys are going to be allowed to really grow and find themselves and it sound like the team is ready to allow it to happen without it causing a problem. Rex has become the leader of the offense without a doubt and everyone really looks to him. That will allow the guys to have some direction and not feel like they're choosing sides and cause chemistry problems. It should be an exciting fall camp. I wish it were here already.