Tressels Resignation - Good for Nebraska?

The way SI and others pumped that article up, I (and many Buckeye fans) was expecting more. OSU is in damage control mode. I don't believe the article had anything to do with Tressel stepping down. I think a group of people (i.e. Les Wexner) that writes the checks to OSU's athletic department had enough.

I am not saying that anything in the article was right for the players or Tressel to do but in a way I am sort of relieved. Pryor is still an idiot so I am sure something more will come out about him.

I think it's far worse then a lot of people realize. I wouldn't be breathing any sigh of relief if I was an OSU fan. No it didn't have the point shaving rumors or go into greater detail about the cars... (I bet that's still coming, esp if Pryor was flaunting it this weekend)

It's not full of new earth shattering revelations. Instead it shows that it was more systemic then just 5 rogue players with bad judgement and that it went on for years unknown to the coaches and compliance staff (either by willful ignorance or incompetence, neither of which will impress the NCAA). It basically throws out the NCAA's statute of limitations on the violations since the same violations were happening well beyond the statute of limitations. Not to mention it completely discredits OSU's own compliance staff's investigation into players trading memorabilia since it names (nine?) other current players and many ex-players having done the same thing for either tattoos, weed, or cars.

The article, depending on what the NCAA allegations already included and what they knew before, probably escalated the whole thing into a LOIC that could reach as far back as they wanted for punishment. There very well might be another vacated championship in the 2000s because there is almost no doubt that players were playing that had forfeited their own eligibility.

There are a lot of accusations about what happened and what the author thought Tressel SHOULD HAVE KNOWN about. The school could not investigate at the level SI was able to and nor should they be able to. Would you like for Nebraska to take the word of known criminals and disgruntled ex-players and then turn over their findings to the NCAA? Also, the stuff about Youngstown State is not as cut and dry as the article likes to lead on about. At least that is what I hear from people in Youngstown.

If criminals are the people your football players are associating with they are the ones whose word you have to take. Especially when 3 people are corroborating the story for every accusation along with outsiders who are verifying timelines.

I'm sorry but there is no limit to where a compliance staff's investigation is supposed to go, and frankly if your players weren't covering it up they'd have easily found what the author did considering 9 other current players are now accused of doing the same thing.

There are a lot of accusations about what happened and what the author thought Tressel SHOULD HAVE KNOWN about. The school could not investigate at the level SI was able to and nor should they be able to. Would you like for Nebraska to take the word of known criminals and disgruntled ex-players and then turn over their findings to the NCAA? Also, the stuff about Youngstown State is not as cut and dry as the article likes to lead on about. At least that is what I hear from people in Youngstown.

SI had no access to the players, the people who actually did this stuff. tOSU does. How can you possibly make that claim in bold?

So you are saying the school should go door to door at every tattoo parlor in the state of Ohio? The school has access to the current players and anyone who comes to them with information. They also need EVIDENCE if they want to turn anything over to the NCAA. What bold statement am I making? I will say it again, OSU can't investigate and make accusations like SI did in their article and turn those findings over to the NCAA.

SI had no access to the players, the people who actually did this stuff. tOSU does. How can you possibly make that claim in bold?

So you are saying the school should go door to door at every tattoo parlor in the state of Ohio? The school has access to the current players and anyone who comes to them with information. They also need EVIDENCE if they want to turn anything over to the NCAA. What bold statement am I making? I will say it again, OSU can't investigate and make accusations like SI did in their article and turn those findings over to the NCAA.

No, I'm saying the school should talk to their own players. The players have all the evidence the school needs to turn this over to the NCAA. You're thinking about this completely wrong - tOSU has 1,000x greater access to their own players than SI has. Screw the tattoo parlors, talk to the players.

I think both of you are saying the same thing. Jaw is stating that SI is spewing sh!t without any evidence and that tOSU does have the access to the players to get evidence...That is just how I am reading it.

jaws is saying that OSU can't investigate at the tattoo parlors, therefore they couldn't know what was going on. I'm saying they don't need to investigate at the parlors - the players have all the info they need, and the school has greater access to the players than SI or the NCAA.

jaws is providing an excuse by saying that OSU couldn't possibly know what was going on. I'm saying - and the NCAA will back this when they mete out punishment - that the school not only could know, but has no excuse not to know. And evidence shows that they did know, and covered it up.

There is no mitigation for OSU here. They're busted, they're screwed, and the NCAA is going to slap them with LOIC and they'll get USC'd, bet on it.

• Fire 1

I think both of you are saying the same thing. Jaw is stating that SI is spewing sh!t without any evidence and that tOSU does have the access to the players to get evidence...That is just how I am reading it.

jaws is saying that OSU can't investigate at the tattoo parlors, therefore they couldn't know what was going on. I'm saying they don't need to investigate at the parlors - the players have all the info they need, and the school has greater access to the players than SI or the NCAA.

jaws is providing an excuse by saying that OSU couldn't possibly know what was going on. I'm saying - and the NCAA will back this when they mete out punishment - that the school not only could know, but has no excuse not to know. And evidence shows that they did know, and covered it up.

There is no mitigation for OSU here. They're busted, they're screwed, and the NCAA is going to slap them with LOIC and they'll get USC'd, bet on it.

Yep. The precedent has been set already with the treatment the Trojans got.* Although I wonder how much the OJ Mayo situation pushed the final judgment towards LOIC. Without the basketball fiasco, does USC avoid the dreaded LOIC albatross? Does OSU skirt the worst sanctions because the impropriety was isolated to the football program? Was it?

*(What is "Auburn?")

Where I think OSU is possibly going to get LOIC is not just from the tattoos, but from the cars. If they find any improprieties with these vehicles then it's a done deal. If not, they could skip by with just some schollies and a post-season ban for a year or so.

I also think heads are not done rolling in Columbus. If it's looking like LOIC is on the table, they may be able to mitigate their damages by firing Gene Smith as well.

I in no way think what happened at OSU is right and I am OK with whatever punishment the NCAA hands down. Saying that, do you really believe the players involved in this are going to be truthful to the university? This isn't a criminal investigation and OSU can't act like the FBI. If the students say nothing is going on and the school has no evidence, they can't do anything. The 5 got in trouble because there was evidence of the matter and Tressel withheld information which put him in the situation he is in. I do not think SI is full of crap but I take everything with a grain of salt (on both sides).

To be honest I like OSU sports and know some athletes (past and present) but I have a hard time taking ownership in any of this. So if you think I have scarlet and gray glasses you are wrong. OSU has very little of my money from sporting events and I don't give to the school. Four years of my tuition went to a school that houses the top football program in the country (all divisions). It shouldn't be hard to figure out the school if you really know your college football. Other than a rooting interest in the Buckeyes, I don't have much tied to the program or school.

Where I think OSU is possibly going to get LOIC is not just from the tattoos, but from the cars. If they find any improprieties with these vehicles then it's a done deal. If not, they could skip by with just some schollies and a post-season ban for a year or so.

I also think heads are not done rolling in Columbus. If it's looking like LOIC is on the table, they may be able to mitigate their damages by firing Gene Smith as well.

Yeah, that's thousands and thousands of dollars. That's LOIC.

geedead.jpg

I in no way think what happened at OSU is right and I am OK with whatever punishment the NCAA hands down. Saying that, do you really believe the players involved in this are going to be truthful to the university? This isn't a criminal investigation and OSU can't act like the FBI. If the students say nothing is going on and the school has no evidence, they can't do anything. The 5 got in trouble because there was evidence of the matter and Tressel withheld information which put him in the situation he is in. I do not think SI is full of crap but I take everything with a grain of salt (on both sides).

To be honest I like OSU sports and know some athletes (past and present) but I have a hard time taking ownership in any of this. So if you think I have scarlet and gray glasses you are wrong. OSU has very little of my money from sporting events and I don't give to the school. Four years of my tuition went to a school that houses the top football program in the country (all divisions). It shouldn't be hard to figure out the school if you really know your college football. Other than a rooting interest in the Buckeyes, I don't have much tied to the program or school.

I agree the school is in a tough spot if the players lie to them, but we know that's not the case here - at least not with the tattoos.

And I have no idea where you're coming from with this second paragraph. I have made no statement about your point of view here, nor is it relevant.

I agree the school is in a tough spot if the players lie to them, but we know that's not the case here - at least not with the tattoos.

And I have no idea where you're coming from with this second paragraph. I have made no statement about your point of view here, nor is it relevant.

The students originally in trouble had outside evidence SENT to the school. A student accused anything has no reason to tell the truth unless they know they are caught.

2nd Paragraph = Trying to sate that I am not a OSU homer looking at this irrationally.

Here's the stuff about Pryor's vehicles:

Records obtained by 10 Investigates showed that Pryor owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. However, video taken by 10 Investigates showed Pryor entering a 2009 Dodge Challenger with dealer license plates, 10 Investigates' Paul Aker reported.

The 2009 vehicle was tracked to Auto Direct, located at 2300 E. Dublin-Granville Rd.

NCAA rules prohibit players from getting free access to cars because of their status as players.

10 Investigates spotted Pryor in the performance car from late March through mid-April at his home, around Columbus and at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, where the football team practices.

Traffic tickets showed that Pryor was pulled over at least three times in the past several years, driving cars that belonged to dealerships, Aker reported.

One of the vehicles was a GMC Denali that belonged to car salesman Aaron Kniffin. In the past, Kniffin and Pryor denied any wrongdoing involving the vehicle. Kniffin recently told 10 Investigates that he gave Pryor the Denali because he wanted to trade his Hyundai and planned to take the Denali to Pennsylvania to show his mother.

"(Pryor) drove the vehicle home to Pennsylvania and drove the vehicle back after he discussed it with the family and they felt it wasn't in his best interest," Kniffin said.

Pryor was ticketed in another loaner vehicle. The vehicle was from Auto Direct, according to Kniffin, even though Pryor had never bought a car there.

"I worked (at Auto Direct) at the time and I had met (Pryor) through other players," Kniffin said. "(Pryor) had come in and looked at numerous cars."

More than two years later, 10 Investigates found the same Auto Direct dealer number that was on Pryor's traffic tickets was on the license plate of the Dodge Challenger that Pryor was driving in the spring.

Auto Direct owner Jason Goss denied any wrongdoing to Aker and would not answer questions as to why Pryor was driving the vehicle. Goss said that he verbally notified university officials.

I would be very surprised if Pryor plays for OSU ever again.

LINK

The students originally in trouble had outside evidence SENT to the school. A student accused anything has no reason to tell the truth unless they know they are caught.

2nd Paragraph = Trying to sate that I am not a OSU homer looking at this irrationally.

The reason is, as Dez Bryant and countless others involved in NCAA dealings have shown, once you decide whatever you did was worth lying about to cover up to the NCAA you've decided it's worth getting absolutely hammered by the infractions committee for. Tressel lied about the tat5 - and perhaps ironically they are probably more in the clear here then the 9 other players on the team that either lied or weren't investigated. Well minus Pryor for other things, and assuming the other 4 don't have similar car deals worked out.

The reason is, as Dez Bryant and countless others involved in NCAA dealings have shown, once you decide whatever you did was worth lying about to cover up to the NCAA you've decided it's worth getting absolutely hammered by the infractions committee for. Tressel lied about the tat5 - and perhaps ironically they are probably more in the clear here then the 9 other players on the team that either lied or weren't investigated. Well minus Pryor for other things, and assuming the other 4 don't have similar car deals worked out.

No doubt and it is a gamble for student and/or coach. Lie and hope no one has evidence you did something wrong or come clean and accept the punishment. The school is screwed in both cases.

I don't see Pryor making his way onto the field again for OSU.

Knapplc - I agree with you on the USC precedent. However I think it should be stiffer to start with just on the eligibility issue. At least Pete Carrol said he didn't know what was going on and stuck with it. Tressel knowingly let players play when he knew they were ineligible. For all the people that say he was protecting his players. If this was the 5 string W.R. or a Red shirt LB Tressel would have marched him in the AD's office and had his kicked off the team. He wanted to win and was accustom to breaking the rules. They are now saying that the the player had been doing this stuff since 2002.