Tressels Resignation - Good for Nebraska?

From Adam Rittenberg on ESPN Big10 Blog:

Urban Meyer issues statement

May, 30, 2011 May 304:41PM ETEmail Print Comments6 By Adam Rittenberg

[...]

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, who played safety at Ohio State, grew up in Youngstown and is being mentioned as another potential candidate to replace Tressel, also issued a statement Monday.

It reads: "Jim Tressel is an outstanding football coach and a good man. I've followed and respected his career since his days at Youngstown State, and through his tremendous success at Ohio State the past decade. He will be missed in college football."

Bo Pelini then made a phone motion to his head and mouthed the words, "Ohio State, call me!"

Sure, it wasn't in the the statement but I can picture that happening.

Wouldn't surprise me if that happened

Of course it will be good for Nebraska's football chances anytime a major conference rival gets kneecapped.

I keep seeing all of these coaches being floated as Tressel's replacement. No major coach is going to want to walk into the hornet's nest of NCAA violations that OSU is likely to face. That's insane. Furthermore, just look at OSU's track record of hiring coaches. They have a pattern of taking a chance on a lesser known coach and hoping he matures into the position. Combine that with their impending death penalty, nobody has to worry about Bo leaving.

While people seem to be focusing on gold pants and tattoos, the real story being overlooked is tens of thousands of dollars in auto discounts and possible giveaways being given to the OSU players--with full knowledge of the shenanigans by the compliance dept! THAT, my friends, is going to be the real story when all of this breaks. Pryor and others won't see another down as Buckeyes.

Of course it will be good for Nebraska's football chances anytime a major conference rival gets kneecapped.

I keep seeing all of these coaches being floated as Tressel's replacement. No major coach is going to want to walk into the hornet's nest of NCAA violations that OSU is likely to face. That's insane. Furthermore, just look at OSU's track record of hiring coaches. They have a pattern of taking a chance on a lesser known coach and hoping he matures into the position. Combine that with their impending death penalty, nobody has to worry about Bo leaving.

While people seem to be focusing on gold pants and tattoos, the real story being overlooked is tens of thousands of dollars in auto discounts and possible giveaways being given to the OSU players--with full knowledge of the shenanigans by the compliance dept! THAT, my friends, is going to be the real story when all of this breaks. Pryor and others won't see another down as Buckeyes.

I fully agree a proven winning cfb div1 HC would be crazy to take that job with all the trouble it has and a frieght train steaming right down between it's eyeballs soon. Zero chance Bo is that stupid.

I don't get that Ohio State is a better position than NU anyway. That's pure BS imo. Bo's got a terrific defense and is loading up on blackshirts with better recruiting every year. He's just an average offense away from being able to play with anybody. A program he built. To leave that to take over sweater vest's program that will only credit the previous coach for any success and yet will have high as a mountain expectations.......well, again Bo is not that stupid.

very likely true, so far i expect we are seeing just the tip of the iceberg......not good.

The way SI and others pumped that article up, I (and many Buckeye fans) was expecting more. OSU is in damage control mode. I don't believe the article had anything to do with Tressel stepping down. I think a group of people (i.e. Les Wexner) that writes the checks to OSU's athletic department had enough.

I am not saying that anything in the article was right for the players or Tressel to do but in a way I am sort of relieved. Pryor is still an idiot so I am sure something more will come out about him.