How clean is our own house?

I'm sure most programs have had violations similar to tOSU because there's no way to monitor every individual 24/7, let alone keep track of all the stuff they get and what becomes of it. Not sure what the whole story was behind the Martinez & Pelini sideline shouting was but it was rumored to be a locker room phone call (possible violation)...everyone saw how that was dealt with so I'd like to think we have a zero tolerance culture. Tressels problem was he let relatively minor infractions fester into a collectively big problem and then lied to the NCAA. Unless of course a bigger shoe does drop in the investigation.

One thing we can be almost certain of is this is not the last time a top 25 program will be put in the iron sights of the NCAA, and this is not the last time a top 25 program will go through this.

We just have to be certain that we limit as many of these issues as we can. They will undoubtedly arise.

We're lucky the NCAA wasn't around more when Blake was here. I know the compliance department was relieved when he left. He definitely tried to push the envelope and was asked to not do things that he wanted to do. I guess Butch Davis didn't care as much.

I kind of remember Blake might have had some minor infractions during his recruitment of Brandon Jackson.

No! John Blake? Clean as a whistle... :sarcasm

I'm sure most programs have had violations similar to tOSU because there's no way to monitor every individual 24/7, let alone keep track of all the stuff they get and what becomes of it. Not sure what the whole story was behind the Martinez & Pelini sideline shouting was but it was rumored to be a locker room phone call (possible violation)...everyone saw how that was dealt with so I'd like to think we have a zero tolerance culture. Tressels problem was he let relatively minor infractions fester into a collectively big problem and then lied to the NCAA. Unless of course a bigger shoe does drop in the investigation.

Not sure how you relate a phone call to dad (which I'm almost certain wouldn't be any sort of violation) to what tOSU is going through.

The bigger (20+ more players implicated) shoe dropped this weekend. I'm assuming you haven't read the latest. Tressel's infractions were far from minor, and they were allowed to fester for almost 10 years (since MC's days). When the top 3 players of your coaching tenure have all been convicted of taking $$ it's a little more than a minor, single infraction. When as many as 20-25 players on the current roster have recieved impropper benefits it's beyond an issolated incident. To me, this seems (by far) more of a "institutional control" problem than USC's. No one outside of Reggie Bush was ever mentioned in that case. This is blatantly obvious infractions by a large group of core players over a long period of time.

The ESPN report in the early 2000's where Clarrett implicated a number of individuals was far from fiction as Tressel and the administration played if off to be...there just wasn't a smoking gun at the time. This has been a long time coming.

Fortunately for NU if you look at our last 10-15 years you won't find much in the way of accusations or smoke, which is why I'm not really all that worried. If there was something major like this...we'd be hearing about it and the denials would be flying.

I saw that too, kc - it's a big, "I dare you!" Either that, or he is even dumber than I originally thought. He was also quoted somewhere as saying that he basically didn't care that Tressel got fired.

Note to other coaches who turn blind eyes to these types of indiscretions: Make sure the players receiving extra benefits are a little more intelligent than a box of rocks, or at least cover your own damned paper trail.

Not sure how you relate a phone call to dad (which I'm almost certain wouldn't be any sort of violation) to what tOSU is going through.

I was saying that by virtue of how Bo handled a minor incident that was either a team rule or NCAA rule (I don't think players are allowed to use phones during games), I really doubt that he would be turning a blind eye to more serious incidents like Tressel did.

The obverse of that is, dirt on the program might mean that Bo (or any other coach with destination gig) wouldn't want to go to OSU.

You guys are in a tough spot. Convincing a coach that they want to come to your school when you're facing major NCAA sanctions is a huge problem. Here's hoping you don't end up with your version of RichRod, or Callahan.

The obverse of that is, dirt on the program might mean that Bo (or any other coach with destination gig) wouldn't want to go to OSU.

You guys are in a tough spot. Convincing a coach that they want to come to your school when you're facing major NCAA sanctions is a huge problem. Here's hoping you don't end up with your version of RichRod, or Callahan.

I noticed many of the Buckeye fans have the same exact mentality we did in 2003 -- "We can get any coach, this is their dream job". While they would be the destination job for many coaches under IDEAL circumstances, history is just not on their side with getting the sexy name coach.

No dirt on Bo makes him a more attractive candidate for a program with cleaning up to do. This is one time a little dirt might not be so bad.

It's safe to say that the NCAA is going to place their foot right smack in the Buckeyes derrière and the repercussions are going to stick around for a few years down the road. I really feel that what they are going to hammer you guys harder than they did USC. With that...it's going to be VERY tough to land a top rated coach with that baggage.

To be clear, the football team's violations at BSU were actually pretty minor, but that's not what got them the lack of institutional control violation. There were rules violations, minor and major, across multiple athletic programs and occurring over several years at BSU. In particular, there was some extremely shady stuff going on within the women's tennis program. Just within that program, there were these "teeny tiny" violations: knowingly playing ineligible players, conducting practices that are not allowed by the rules, and lying to NCAA investigators among other lesser violations. It is the sum of all of these violations throughout the athletic department that led to them being hit with lack of institutional control.

You never really know, but I suspect that we're running a relatively clean ship across the board, not withstanding the minor things that happen at every program every year.

This is the only sure fire way to get banned/sanctions/prostate inspection from the NCAA

Not sure what the whole story was behind the Martinez & Pelini sideline shouting was but it was rumored to be a locker room phone call (possible violation)...everyone saw how that was dealt with so I'd like to think we have a zero tolerance culture.

That and other instances such Q getting kicked off the team (when he was arguably our best offensive player) and Sanders getting shown the door or, er resigning, suggests that Bo has a low tolerance for shenanigans. Let's hope anyways. And let's hope this clusterf**k at OSU can be a learning experience for every program. Unless you're in the SEC, then you can do whatever you please.

I'm sure there are privileges being given to Husker athletes like there are to athletes at Missouri, Michigan, Montana and Morgan State. The hope is that whatever shenanigans are going on at your campus are under sufficient control that they don't warrant closer inspection.

You got something against the M's?