Chances of Pryor returning to OSU=0

(i refuse to add the t sorrry)

Yeah, I'm never doing that either.

Because they say "THE Ohio State University?" I've always found that pretentious and unnecessary, probably like you two. Do they really think anyone confuses Ohio State with the Ohio Bobcats? I put the "t" on there sometimes as a joke, kind of the opposite reason they do it.

It's history time folks:

The "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes:

"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'"

Hard to be pretentious when it was simply stating that Ohio State was the land grant university. We also didn't even have a football team back then.

Now, come on. The tone in which it's said by the players and coaches is not just talking about the actual name of the school. There's an inflection that wouldn't be there if that was the case.

What coaches say it? Sounds like the players are having fun with it. For all you know their intent was to make fun of it and it just held on. I mean granted your impression of it is your impression of it. But no matter what, legally, it's called THE Ohio State University.

dude i couldnt even comprehend refering to NU as tNU, and i definitely couldnt defend it. its pretty obvious what the players are implying when they say it.

Because they say "THE Ohio State University?" I've always found that pretentious and unnecessary, probably like you two. Do they really think anyone confuses Ohio State with the Ohio Bobcats? I put the "t" on there sometimes as a joke, kind of the opposite reason they do it.

It's history time folks:

The "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes:

"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'"

Hard to be pretentious when it was simply stating that Ohio State was the land grant university. We also didn't even have a football team back then.

Now, come on. The tone in which it's said by the players and coaches is not just talking about the actual name of the school. There's an inflection that wouldn't be there if that was the case.

What coaches say it? Sounds like the players are having fun with it. For all you know their intent was to make fun of it and it just held on. I mean granted your impression of it is your impression of it. But no matter what, legally, it's called THE Ohio State University.

dude i couldnt even comprehend refering to NU as tNU, and i definitely couldnt defend it. its pretty obvious what the players are implying when they say it.

So can I say that I go to The University of Nebraska-Lincoln, since the 'The' is actually needed?

I don't think he can hang as a QB at the next level...

Hell no. This D-bag is going to be your textbook moron who burns through money as fast as it comes in and finds himself out of football at 30-35, and broke within 2 years after that.

Jamarcus Russell

Not even JaMarcus. I was thinking Adrian McPherson or perhaps Maurice Clarett (more accurate probably).

It's history time folks:

What you quoted said it was "The Ohio State University", not "THE Ohio State University". You really don't get that "THE" sounds pompous?

It's history time folks:

What you quoted said it was "The Ohio State University", not "THE Ohio State University". You really don't get that "THE" sounds pompous?

I can see that it can be construed as pompous. I can also get that they are emphasizing the part that maybe 1% of the population knows is actually part of the name of the university, done so at the instruction of someone (not saying the coach decided it, but someone could have passed it down to the coaches)

It's history time folks:

I've never heard anyone call it The Ohio State University. It's always Thee Ohio State University. Which according to history, is factually incorrect. And very pretentious in my opinion.

Hard to not sound pretentious when you're using pronouns from ancient dialects when refering to your school.

The best part is how everyone is blaming the players. Tressel and co. knew damn well what these kids were doing because THEY supplied it. Guarantee

Supplied what? The memorabilia? All major FBS schools give players memorabilia and it's the player's responsibility to not sell it for profit. How is that the university's fault? They shouldn't give players memorabilia?

This is the player's fault for the most part, although you could argue that the NCAA/universities set themselves up for this kind of behavior. Tressel lied and hid the facts, yes, but the player's were the ones who took it upon themselves to make cash on the side knowing full well it is against NCAA rules. Everything else became a trickle-down effect.

From what I've read (mainly this Maurice Clarett article), Tressel hooked the kids up with the car dealer, other boosters that gave them money either straight up or for "odd jobs", tutors that helped them cheat through class, etc.

In that sense, Tressel did in fact supply the kids with the means to violate NCAA rules.

It's funny because when that article came out (2004) people ripped Clarett saying he was a liar and using his awful reputation to discredit him. I doubt anyone really believed what he was saying at the time because they probably thought he was mad and looking for attention. But knowing what we know now, everything he says falls in line with what is coming out about tOSU and everything he said was probably 100% true.

I have to digress a little bit, after Clarret's jail trouble where did he turn, Tressel, b/g the guy cares about people, I know the cynics will say no he only cared about winning; if that is the case why would he get Clarret renrolled at OSU and talk to coaches to get him a job somewhere?

Your guess is good as mine,but i'm guessing its because he cares about the people and not the NCAA. Regularly a guy that had done the program bad in press Tressel welcomes with opens arms and helps them make better men of themselves (he has done this his entire career, no academic fraud just guys selling their own possessions and him looking out for his family). I said once before that T.O said he would do the same thing. So if that is that the characteristic of a cheater then sign me up.

It's history time folks:

I've never heard anyone call it The Ohio State University. It's always Thee Ohio State University. Which according to history, is factually incorrect. And very pretentious in my opinion.

Hard to not sound pretentious when you're using pronouns from ancient dialects when refering to your school.

Now I feel like I have to explain the English language, when the article "the" is used before a vowel it is pronounced thee, if it is used in front a constant it is pronounced thuh. Hence Ohio State (vowel sound) it goes with thee. Not to mention that is the official name of the school on the charter as well. Any one that gave you a history lesson was wrong. The dictionary will give you the simple answer.

Has nothing to do with pretension or false history, simply an oxford dictionary and a school charter.

On side note if in fact the official charter name of The University of Nebraska is just that, you would not by any means be pretentious to pronounce it as Thee University of Nebraska, in fact you would be speaking proper English.

Not to mention that "the" is not a pronoun at all, but in fact a definite article; apologies for being so "pretentious."

• Fire 1

Now I feel like I have to explain the English language, when the article "the" is used before a vowel it is pronounced thee, if it is used in front a constant it is pronounced thuh. Hence Ohio State (vowel sound) it goes with thee. Not to mention that is the official name of the school on the charter as well. Any one that gave you a history lesson was wrong. The dictionary will give you the simple answer.

Has nothing to do with pretension or false history, simply an oxford dictionary and a school charter.

On side note if in fact the official charter name of The University of Nebraska is just that, you would not by any means be pretentious to pronounce it as Thee University of Nebraska, in fact you would be speaking proper English.

Not to mention that "the" is not a pronoun at all, but in fact a definite article; apologies for being so "pretentious."

I can't believe I have to say this. It's not a matter of pronunciation, it's a matter of inflection. You can say "thee Ohio State University" or you can say "THEE Ohio State University." What people are talking about in this thread is the latter inflection.

For your edification, a few links from others making the same point:

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

This took me all of 30 seconds on google. Let's not pretend we don't know what this conversation is about, shall we?

:facepalm:

Right because I didn't go out of my way to post a disclaimer stating that I was trolling. Seriously I didn't. No honestly, that totally didn't happen.