Is the Ohio State situation worse than NU in 2007?

Ohio State's situation vs. NU in 2007  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is Ohio State’s current situation worse than NU in late 2007 when Callahan got fired? Ohio State has *much* more talent than we had in 2007. But we didn't have the prospect of ncaa sanctions. We just sucked.

Ohio State is in a much worse situation, and it's not even close. They're facing significant NCAA sanctions including loss of scholarships and post-season bans. All we did was buy out a sucky coach. They're definitely worse off than we were.

I think they might lose a couple schollies, maybe even be banned from bowls for a year or two. But I doubt this will keep them down for more than a couple or three of seasons. I'd be shocked if they drop below .500. So in that respect their situation isn't too much worse than the straits we went through.

Post-season bans are a big deal. Scholarship losses are a big deal. There's a reason the Tressel situation has made headlines throughout college football.

I think you're underestimating how big this is. They're not just getting penalized, they'll be under a microscope for years to come, and any further transgressions will earn LOIC. If they already have that coming, you're looking at near death penalty type punishments.

No matter how you slice it, the Callahan situation doesn't even come close to what OSU is going through

Even if we're just talking about how the fans feel, they're going through much worse than we went through. Callahan never bonded with at least half the fan base, and by the time he was fired, only a few die-hards were still behind him. Tressel is nearly the second coming of Woody Hayes to the Buckeyes. They absolutely adore(d) this guy. From that perspective it's definitely worse for them than it was for us.

It is too early to figure out what will happen. Part of me thinks the whole tattoo issue is minor so 5 games will stick; the Tressel non-disclosure was a serious error but that has been dealt with so not much else will happen besides vacating 2010 wins. On the other hand, I think the hammer is going to drop with scholarship lossess and a post season ban for 1-2 years. On top of the NCAA penalties, the University will put in serious controls to prevent such a thing from occurring again. They will not be able to recruit "questionable" players any longer and the overall team talent will take a big hit. Also, no decent coach will want to coach under the new measures and oversight. OSU will be ok next year - say 8-4 or 9-3 but I see them being very average down the road.

Post-season bans are a big deal. Scholarship losses are a big deal. There's a reason the Tressel situation has made headlines throughout college football.

I think you're underestimating how big this is. They're not just getting penalized, they'll be under a microscope for years to come, and any further transgressions will earn LOIC. If they already have that coming, you're looking at near death penalty type punishments.

No matter how you slice it, the Callahan situation doesn't even come close to what OSU is going through

Even if we're just talking about how the fans feel, they're going through much worse than we went through. Callahan never bonded with at least half the fan base, and by the time he was fired, only a few die-hards were still behind him. Tressel is nearly the second coming of Woody Hayes to the Buckeyes. They absolutely adore(d) this guy. From that perspective it's definitely worse for them than it was for us.

I agree with Knapplc here.

The early word out of the Columbus Dispatch is a post season ban for something like four years. That is a big deal.

The early word out of the Columbus Dispatch is a post season ban for something like four years. That is a big deal.

The thing is, tOSU is loaded with talent right now. NU had decent talent, but not like the Buckeyes current roster. Even with bowl bans and schollie loses, I'd be surprised to see the Bucks drop out of the top 20 for more than a couple of years. I don't think they'll fall as far as USC did. No way in hell they drop as far as Michigan did these past few years. Unless they make a bad coaching hire. Then all bets are off.

The thing is, tOSU is loaded with talent right now. NU had decent talent, but not like the Buckeyes current roster. Even with bowl bans and schollie loses, I'd be surprised to see the Bucks drop out of the top 20 for more than a couple of years. I don't think they'll fall as far as USC did. No way in hell they drop as far as Michigan did these past few years. Unless they make a bad coaching hire. Then all bets are off.

The one thing that will kill any team that has numerous schollies taken away is the depth that gets taken away along the offensive and defensive lines.

The one thing that will kill any team that has numerous schollies taken away is the depth that gets taken away along the offensive and defensive lines.

Yeah, it'll hurt on the line, especially D-line. Gotta have a rotation. Any guess on how many schollies tOSU will lose? And for how long?

I think you should truly consider the gravity of the situation though.

Let's use USC as an example because OSU hasn't been given their exact sanctions yet. USC received a two year post-season ban and a loss of 30 scholarships over three years. That means every three years they lose 10 scholarships and in two years, when they finally get full scholarship appropriations back, they'll have 30 fewer players on their roster. 30.

And then they can finally start recruiting to the limit, but even then it will take a couple of years to get back up to 85. Can you imagine Nebraska right now with 30 fewer players on the depth chart? Even with walk ons you're taking a gigantic chunk out of the talent pool. I don't think people truly understand just how big of a blow the loss of that many players is, and you can only assume that OSU is going to get something similar or worse.

The post-season bowl ban isn't as big of a deal as the loss of scholarships, but still. Imagine telling recruits that no matter how well they play they can't go to a bowl game or a national championship. Imagine motivating your kids to win games at the end of the season when there's really no reason to other than for a moral victory. Also consider the hundreds of thousands of dollars bowl games make for the university. It's a big hit in it's own right.

Yeah, it'll hurt on the line, especially D-line. Gotta have a rotation. Any guess on how many schollies tOSU will lose? And for how long?

I would bet that they lose as many as USC did for as long as their bowl ban is. If it is two years I will be disappointed and call the NCAA soft as I usually do.

I would bet that they lose as many as USC did for as long as their bowl ban is. If it is two years I will be disappointed and call the NCAA soft as I usually do.

I looked it up. USC loses 10 schollies per year for three years. Ouch. LINK

I think you should truly consider the gravity of the situation though.

Let's use USC as an example because OSU hasn't been given their exact sanctions yet. USC received a two year post-season ban and a loss of 30 scholarships over three years. That means every three years they lose 10 scholarships and in two years, when they finally get full scholarship appropriations back, they'll have 30 fewer players on their roster. 30.

And then they can finally start recruiting to the limit, but even then it will take a couple of years to get back up to 85. Can you imagine Nebraska right now with 30 fewer players on the depth chart? Even with walk ons you're taking a gigantic chunk out of the talent pool. I don't think people truly understand just how big of a blow the loss of that many players is, and you can only assume that OSU is going to get something similar or worse.

The post-season bowl ban isn't as big of a deal as the loss of scholarships, but still. Imagine telling recruits that no matter how well they play they can't go to a bowl game or a national championship. Imagine motivating your kids to win games at the end of the season when there's really no reason to other than for a moral victory. Also consider the hundreds of thousands of dollars bowl games make for the university. It's a big hit in it's own right.

Oh gawd, just the thought scares the crap out of me.

2007 was a tittantic disaster without a shred of doubt but losing 30 ships would be even worse. Add in no bowls and maybe not even a ccg and they're screwed and tattoed (no pun). There's no denying how outrageously lucky we were to get Bo back to rebuild the hopelessly failed Pedey/Callahan era but even Bo would struggle mightily with what Ohio State very well may get.

Yeah, we're talking almost opposite initial scanarios with the Buckeyes riding high and NU then in the garbage dump. "Both" are extremely bad news but in the long run Ohio State has even higher odds against rebounding soon.

• Fire 1

If tOSU gets hit as hard as USC, then they may end up worse off than I first thought. 10 ships down for each of three years--that's 40% of their scholarships. Almost no way they could stay in the top-20 with those sanctions. If it ends up being half that amount, total of 15 schollies, then they might keep the ship righted. Mostly.

Conclusion: It sucks to be a Buckeye right now.