Former Huskers coach high on Paul

The article would have been perfectly fine without the comment about QBs. He was being interviewed specifically about Paul, so of course he's going to say nice things. But that comment ruined it and makes me annoyed at both of them. I can't think of any player in the history of any sport I've ever watched that has made me more nervous every time he touched the ball. Gillmore obviously has selective memory, or only takes practices into account.

I will remember Niles Paul as a speedy receiver who was great at taking the handoff during the Jet Sweep plays. His speed definitely worked well for us during special teams, and that is where his talent will take him to the NFL. He will be a good special teams player, nothing more and nothing less.

I will remember Niles Paul as a speedy receiver who was great at taking the handoff during the Jet Sweep plays. His speed definitely worked well for us during special teams, and that is where his talent will take him to the NFL. He will be a good special teams player, nothing more and nothing less.

Don't understand this either. Niles Paul was never terribly fast.

Don't understand this either. Niles Paul was never terribly fast.

Fast enough to return kick and punt returns for touchdowns. I mean the kid was fast, just didn't have very good hands. Reminds me of Orlando Jones from The Replacements.

No one is going to confuse him with Devin Hester anytime soon ever. A part of me feels sorry for him because he was never a legit #1 or even #2 D1 receiver. He was a slot receiver who was forced into that role simply because there was a lack of other options. That being said, if you're going to complain about not getting the ball then catch the damn thing. And if you do catch it, hold on to it.

Paul only returned two kicks for touchdowns that I can remember, one in 2009 against CU and one in 2010 against Ok. St.

I never thought Paul looked very fast myself. I don't think Paul will return kicks in the NFL. He'll either improve his consistency and become a wide receiver or he'll fall of the map.

I also find it highly unlikely he'll return kicks. He never wowed me enough to remember he was great at it. Plus, he fumbled punts. Maybe it was only once, but it was enough that I remember it.

Missouri game in the rain comes to mind...

I was thinking of the Iowa State one. There are probably others. I would be scared to have him on the field doing anything.

Paul only returned two kicks for touchdowns that I can remember, one in 2009 against CU and one in 2010 against Ok. St.

I never thought Paul looked very fast myself. I don't think Paul will return kicks in the NFL. He'll either improve his consistency and become a wide receiver or he'll fall of the map.

THe CU return was on a punt. He did return a kick against San Jose State.

I also find it highly unlikely he'll return kicks. He never wowed me enough to remember he was great at it. Plus, he fumbled punts. Maybe it was only once, but it was enough that I remember it.

He also had a damned good return against Colorado a couple of years back. But that was in college, so take it for what it's worth.

Niles impressed me quite a bit as a punt returner...that is, assuming he didn't catch and fumble or make a boneheaded move beforehand, once he actually started going he did some really nice things. I remember him almost costing us the Gator Bowl with that crap as well. Kick returns on the other hand, I would say he was slightly above average in college and won't sniff a chance in the league.