Gloomy Husker Locker article on recruiting

Not worried at all here, this staff will definatly hit it's stride on the trail in the months to come. I have complete faith in Bo and Company, especially on the recruiting trail. Win some battles, lose some battles it's the name of the game when it comes to recruting.

Not worried at all here, this staff will definatly hit it's stride on the trail in the months to come. I have complete faith in Bo and Company, especially on the recruiting trail. Win some battles, lose some battles it's the name of the game when it comes to recruting.

I think you're right.

i'm curious what factual basis he has for this statement:

"It almost seems that a wave of apathy has washed over the program when it comes to recruiting. An attitude of procrastination that will not only cost Nebraska coveted athletes in the interim, but years down the road."

of course, i've never been impressed by this particular "writer", so whatever.

do we have as many recruits as we'd like at the moment? no, but we'll likely get a few more by the end of the summer and then get some more during game day visits. i mentioned in another thread that early game times caused some problems in recent years for game day visits, and that probably accounts for the relatively low number used last season, but it's pretty ridiculous to insinuate that this is due to either apathy or a lack of awareness by the coaches.

so far bo and his staff have brought in three good recruiting classes in three tries, with their most recent being their best. they seem to know how to recruit just fine, so i just don't get articles like this. obviously this class will be a little smaller, but i have no reason to believe it won't be another quality class.

This is a very narrow snapshot look at a couple of recruits. It doesn't mean, however, that he doesn't hit on a few points.

Through the entire home slate, Nebraska had 26 official visitors which averaged out to almost four per game. One of the Cornhuskers’ biggest recruiting tools is the game day experience. If they can’t capitalize on it, they’re going to continue to lose battles for many of the recruits ranked highest on their boards.

I wonder, does Bo just not want gamedays to be a circus?

It's never been a question of if we will land some good prospects or not. But, are the full resources available being utilized? Are we getting on top of recruiting early enough and sustaining? Can we do better?

Bo has stated that doesn't want alot of kids here for gamedays because he would not have time to sit and visit with them. I can see his point, but gameday is also our biggest recruiting tool. I think Bo and company do their best work when they are in home with a recruit and can sit and visit with them and their parents.

the first year or so i was pretty nervous about Bo... we all remember the dig was that Bo sucked donkey balls at recruting at LSU..... but over time i've grown a little more comfortable with the staff and recruiting even though it seems each year we are dogged with new rumors.... however for whatever reason justified or not i always have that little feeling of caution.... as if i had some recovered drug addict kid and worried that even if they had been sober for many years you never knew if they would relapse into their old ways,......

His point about game days is wrong, nothing insults a prospect more than bringing them in to play a garbage school. Kids want to see you play Ohio St, Texas, Missouri, Iowa and schools like that, not UT Chattanooga and South Dakota State.

That philosophy last year netted the 15th best class in the country according to Rivals and the 10th best in terms of star average. You invite fringe prospects that you want to wait on to the early games so they get a visit, but not so that they take up valuable slots for the games that matter.

It's not like the rest of the BIg Ten is running away from us, Iowa has 3, Purdue as 2, Indiana and Illinois 4, Wisconsin 5, MSU 6, Minnesota 7, NW PSU and tOSU 8, and Michigan 12.

The targets we have now are waiting to commit at this point, after Nebraska has been burned with early commits over the past few years (T. Gabbert, Sloan, T. Mitchel, K. Terry, Bouzos, Admire).

Last year at this time we had 9 on board, 3 of those ended up somewhere else. In 2009 at this time I think we had 5 at this point, and at least 2 of them split. I think the staff is making sure kids are very solid with such a small class.

I normally enjoy Brandon's articles. But this was just drivel. <sigh> The offseason sucks!!!!!!

Yeah, Brandon Cavanaugh knows his stuff in recruiting. One of the better contributors at HL. He was just cranking out an offseason article with this piece.

I normally enjoy Brandon's articles. But this was just drivel. <sigh> The offseason sucks!!!!!!

Yeah, Brandon Cavanaugh knows his stuff in recruiting. One of the better contributors at HL. He was just cranking out an offseason article with this piece.

You really think he knows his stuff? I guess I have never been a fan, the guy is still a HUGE BCer and HUGE BRB fan.

• Fire 1