Swimming Pools at home

I have an above ground, it is a love/hate relationship. They do require maintenance no doubt and will eat up some time, but they are very nice to have. The only recommendation that I will make is to go to an established pool/spa company for info, and if you do get one, buy their chemicals, it may cost a little more but is 100% better than anything you will buy at a big box store. They not only work better but overall much better for your pool and liner. I test the water about every other day and actually only need to add chemicals once a week if even that. Keep your Ph balanced and your chlorine up.

It is a time eating investment no doubt, but I will say it is worth it when it is hot and you can just walk out your back door and hop in with a cold beer. We do not have a community pool in town so that was another factor in getting one.

Here is the thing, I dont really have other things that I spend lots of money on. I am not a car guy, or motorcycle guy, I dont take fancy vacations. Basically I party with friends and I do like pools.

Anyone else with a pool? Would love to hear more thoughts.

To the poster in Hawaii, do most homes have pools there?

Here is the thing, I dont really have other things that I spend lots of money on. I am not a car guy, or motorcycle guy, I dont take fancy vacations. Basically I party with friends and I do like pools.

umm im not sure.... i think enough do to have a booming pool man industry here but not alot to be honest

i mean if you want a pool go for it but my thinking is that it just gets old after a while... i guess its lke the new hot club spot that opens up... first its packed all the time but after awhile its the same old thing and kinda boring... but if you love pools that much then its all!

I would say based on that, you would enjoy a pool. Friends will be more likely to come party when you have a pool in the summertime. (and when I say friends, I mean girls :thumbs )

Also if you have the cash to spare, put a deck at least on 1 side of it if you don't have one you can put a pool next too, makes for easier access in and out and you won't have to be constantly cleaning grass out of it.

I live in a town house, so I've never owned a pool. But I think if you have the money, the time/energy to devote taking care of a pool, I don't see why not. Just be sure to keep in mind the negatives. For me it would be:

1) if I had kids

2) room in my yard being taken up a pool (less room for pets, etc.)

3) insurance rates

4) being able to sell the home. For some it may be a selling point...and for others it may be a negative (ie. families)

just throwing out my opinion. If I had the money and the lot size, I'd personally do it. But my wife and I both love hanging around water and our friends would love it too. I've always envisioned a large pool with nice outdoor kitchen right next to it. Great for this time of year.

umm im not sure.... i think enough do to have a booming pool man industry here but not alot to be honest

i mean if you want a pool go for it but my thinking is that it just gets old after a while... i guess its lke the new hot club spot that opens up... first its packed all the time but after awhile its the same old thing and kinda boring... but if you love pools that much then its all!

I can see what you mean about it getting old after awhile.

Some of the houses I am looking at have nice sized lots, I keep thinking it would be great, with an outdoor area for cooking out. Who am I kidding, I will be stuck in an apt never able to find anythin!!!

My inlaws have a real nice inground pool. My father in law makes a pile of money and pays a pool guy to take care of it. I know in the past he has really had difficulty with the pool guys. Good ones are hard to find. They are also expensive.

Even with pool guy they are still spending 30 vacuuming, sweeping and working the chemicals. He heats his too which is real expensive. He downplays the cost of maintaining it, but I know it costs a fortune.

It's awesome for us because we just show up and leave. I wouldn't do it unless I had money to completely blow.

Thanks for the thoughts.

It really sounds like most of the people with pools hate them!

Maybe its one of those things that is just a better idea in my head then actually in the ground.

Most people who GET pools, like having them the first few years (we did). But people who HAVE pools (and have had them for a while) get burned out on them. This is the point I'm at now. If you want to get a pool, I would suggest an above ground. If after a few years you get burned out on it, you can always sell it.

Also, check you local codes. In Omaha any 'pool' over 18 inches deep requires a six foot privacy fence around the property. Got to keep the trespassers from drowning in the pool...

I would go a step further and talk with an attorney. Our old neighbors had a pool in their backyard for their grandkids. One day they came home to find the neighborhood kids swimming in their pool. Even though there was a fence around it, had something happened, they could have still be held liable. They spoke to an attorney who told them they needed to post "No Trespassing" signs, lock the gates, etc. It's a liability thing obviously.