B1G, Big Ten Network and Dish Network

We have the Dish Network. It did not offer the Big Ten Network on my programming plan in Nebraska. I called. They said just go to the web site and add it. I did. I confirmed the order of a multiple sports package. The Big Ten Netowrk did not show up on my programming guide. I went back to the web site. Any evidence that I had ordered it was gone. So i called Dish Network again. Now they explain that they will automatically add the Big Ten network to locals near Big Ten Schools. At no additional charge. So, I asked when they would do that. They said when the Big Ten Network got broadcast rights in Nebraska. I asked when that might be. Dish Network said it was up to the Big Ten Conference. I've read about the head butting with Time Warner Cable and how that is holding up the delivery of broadcast rights. However, I'm technically challenged and don't understand what that all means. I know that DirectTV already offers the Big Ten Netowrk and that Dishnetwork offers it also to zip codes less than two miles east of me in Iowa. So, how and why is a cable tv company holding Nebraska fans hostage? I'd appreciate any information any of you can share as I am deciding on whether or not to switch to DirectTV.

The Big Ten Network generates revenue through exposure. They want the maximum number of households to have the channel. That means they want it on the lowest programming tier possible. BTN wants Nebraska cable operators to put it on the basic tier like it is in other Big Ten areas.

Time Warner (and other cable companies) make money through subscription packages. They know Nebraskans are nutty for football and most will pay a premium for access to games broadcast on BTN. Therefore, they want to keep the channel on a special sports tier that costs extra for the subscriber.

The Big Ten is holding back broadcast rights for Husker games from the BTN until the Nebraska cable companies agree to move the network to basic. This is to make sure those cable companies who already have BTN on sports tiers won't be able to show the games. The cable companies are betting that if they hold out as long as possible, fan anger will switch from them to the Big Ten for not releasing broadcast rights.

It's a staring contest at this point between the cable companies and Big Ten over who can withstand the fury of Nebraska fans faced with another round of expensive PPV or no games at all.

If you add their sports package to your account you should get BTN. I see that you tried that on their website and it didn't work but it should. Add it again and then wait for 30 minutes or so and see if the channel shows up. Have you tried going directly to the channel? Not sure what the channel number is on Dish but try that after you add the sports package. Also, try restarting your receiver after you add the package and seeing if that works.

If you add their sports package to your account you should get BTN. I see that you tried that on their website and it didn't work but it should. Add it again and then wait for 30 minutes or so and see if the channel shows up. Have you tried going directly to the channel? Not sure what the channel number is on Dish but try that after you add the sports package. Also, try restarting your receiver after you add the package and seeing if that works.

It sounds like the BTN is not included in the sports package for him since he is in a Big Ten area. It's probably because Dish Network has agreed to the Big Ten's terms to provide it on a basic tier, but are waiting for the broadcast rights issue with cable companies to be resolved before going live with it.

My ire over this snafu will NEVER be directed towards the Big Ten or BTN. If TimeWarner thinks I'm going to get pissed at the Big Ten Conference over this when they charge me the EXORBITANT fees they already charge me, they had damned well better think again.

Fan support will NOT lean towards TimeWarner. Their name is dirt just about everywhere they operate for a reason.

I pay for BTN, and I'll be pretty damn upset with the Big Ten if their pissing match in Lincoln spills over into KC and I can't watch Husker games - because as of now that's what it is looking like. Back to Minsky's I guess...could be worse, love that pizza.

Why blame the Big Ten for TimeWarner's greed? Or phrased differently, why blame the Big Ten for TimeWarner treating Nebraska different than they treat any other Big Ten market? There isn't a single Big Ten market where the BTN is not on a basic tier - except, for the moment, Nebraska. Who's to blame for that? Not the Big Ten.

EDIT - Chris, do you get cable through TimeWarner?

I pay for BTN, and I'll be pretty damn upset with the Big Ten if their pissing match in Lincoln spills over into KC and I can't watch Husker games - because as of now that's what it is looking like. Back to Minsky's I guess...could be worse, love that pizza.

Why blame the Big Ten for TimeWarner's greed? Or phrased differently, why blame the Big Ten for TimeWarner treating Nebraska different than they treat any other Big Ten market? There isn't a single Big Ten market where the BTN is not on a basic tier - except, for the moment, Nebraska. Who's to blame for that? Not the Big Ten.

EDIT - Chris, do you get cable through TimeWarner?

You are assuming that BTN is asking for the same deal as they did in the other areas, that deal was signed 3 years ago. I would imagine the BTN network is now asking for more per sub than before, estimates i've seen said the original deals were $.90 per sub before, they are now asking for closer to $1.15 per sub. It wouldn't shock me if the Big Ten Network was trying to hold Time Warner hostage for higher fees across the entire base of subscribers rather than just allow them to add Nebraska. This would be a million dollar plus per month hit on Time Warner's bottom line, possibly even far more depending on what the BTN is really asking for.

get directv, i've been watching the BTN since LAST SUMMER at no extra charge. i heard about the conference realignment, so i went home, searched my channels, found BTN and started watchin it to see what they were saying. no headaches. from everything i'm hearing, i don't know why people would stay with dishnetwork or timewarner

get directv, i've been watching the BTN since LAST SUMMER at no extra charge. i heard about the conference realignment, so i went home, searched my channels, found BTN and started watchin it to see what they were saying. no headaches. from everything i'm hearing, i don't know why people would stay with dishnetwork or timewarner

Got DirecTV hooked up today and it is AWESOME. Watched the 08' Wisconsin at Michigan today on the BTN and it was pretty sweet. The remote and the receiver are far responsive compared with Dish Network.

I'm gonna be saving roughly around $40-$50 with DirecTV compared with Dish even when my first year rebate it up with DirecTV. So needless to say I'll be happy with DirecTV and can't wait till College ball when I'll get more football games ( PAC 12 and Mountain West among others) with my sports package.