B1G, Big Ten Network and Dish Network

So, Is there a chance that Cox will carry the BTN? We live in a condo and they forbide dishes. I see there is an on-line feed on the BigTen website, so that may be an option as well.

I had Cox in Omaha last year and we had the BTN. It included the main station plus several satellite channels that allowed us to watch 3 or 4 games a weekend. We had the Digital package with HD.

This is really getting ridiculous. Time warner can shove it.

I don't blame Time Warner. It's BTN's fault. Both have a contract in place that they both should have to live with until a new contract is reached when it expires or if Time Warner agrees to BTN's compromise. What if you are under contract with your cable company to pay $70 a month for 2 years. Then all of the sudden they want to terminate that contract and charge you $20 a month more. Is that right? Nope. Can they do that. Nope. Same thing BTN is doing here and it's a bunch of crap. And this is coming from a DirecTV subscriber who can't stand any cable companies but I'm on their side here.

My ire over this snafu will NEVER be directed towards the Big Ten or BTN. If TimeWarner thinks I'm going to get pissed at the Big Ten Conference over this when they charge me the EXORBITANT fees they already charge me, they had damned well better think again.

Fan support will NOT lean towards TimeWarner. Their name is dirt just about everywhere they operate for a reason.

It's all part of the chain of complain. Cable operators get put in a no win situation with the sports networks. They make up an enormous percentage of the broadcast cost.

This is really getting ridiculous. Time warner can shove it.

I don't blame Time Warner. It's BTN's fault.

It's neither's 'fault'. Sports networks get charged huge fees by the program providers. They pass those fees onto the cable operators. They pass those fees onto the customers.

Everything is allowed to go up and up and up in the name of competition. Eventually it will hit a point of saturation.

While not definite, it sounds like the small cable providers in Nebraska that have signed on to the BTN will be showing the Nebraska games, just on a different channel that will not be available to Time Warner customers per this article.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_30bf82b5-745a-5590-a52a-54bdee80232c.html

"Without the change, games still could be shown on an open channel instead of the channel assigned to BTN, and those games would be labeled 'Big Ten Conference' instead of BTN, Silverman said."

And although it is not clear from this article, I would assume that Directv and other national providers would be given access to this channel as well. If so, the national providers would simply need to be willing to provide the bandwidth. Directv almost certainly would (Fox relationship and all), and I can't imagine any other rational provider declining the option to show Husker football.

Unfortunately, there is no motivation for Time-Warner to agree to the BTN's terms until the last possible second (why pay .70/month per subscriber until you absolutely must?) I wouldn't sweat it yet.

IF Nebraska games are blocked because COX and TIME WARNER are too greedy to make this compromise they will destroy their reputation in Nebraska. They will lose customers. They will lose revenue. The bad thing for them is they are not only impacting their own customers they are impacting the entire state. This means they are alienating possible future customers as well. It doesn't really matter who's fault it is customers have to deal with the PROVIDER and that's the cable companies. They will suffer bottom line consequences for not making a compromise. I don't think they understand.

You folks in Lincoln can breathe easier now. The Big Ten and Time Warner have finally struck a deal to put the BTN on TW's basic tier.

Time Warner Cable and BTN announced today that the network will be available on the company’s standard service tier for customers in Nebraska beginning Aug. 23. Every Husker regular season football game will be available live on Time Warner Cable during the team’s inaugural season in the Big Ten Conference.

The two additional feeds for other (non-Nebraska) games will still be on the digital tier. We're still waiting to hear from Charter (which serves my area), DirecTV, Dish etc., but we should expect them to fall in line pretty quickly since Time Warner was the main sticking point. I expect The Big Ten to release broadcast rights for Nebraska games to the BTN and we will hear announcements from the remaining service providers soon.

I was honestly starting to worry the standoff would continue through the first game of the year and we would miss the opener against UT-Chattanooga. I'm glad I was wrong.

That's funny, because I finally put my money where my mouth is and called TWC last Friday about this. I would imagine TWC caved due to all the calls they were getting telling them we'd cancel service if they didn't get this done. I was very polite when I called, but I told the lady that if they don't get this fixed, I already have a satellite dish on my house and I would be making the switch. She said they'd had "a ton" of calls like this, and they were listening, but they were "still talking" with the BTN.

I will give TWC credit for listening to their customers on this, and for not forcing us to go through with the threat of canceling service.

(Big Ten Network) - LINCOLN, NEB. and CHICAGO - (July 25, 2011) –Time Warner Cable and BTN announced today that the network will be available on the company’s standard service tier for customers in Nebraska beginning Aug. 23. Every Husker regular season football game will be available live on Time Warner Cable during the team’s inaugural season in the Big Ten Conference.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/dpp/about_us/Time-Warner-Cable-Moving-Big-Ten-Network-to-Standard-Service-in-Nebraska

I called Dish about 5 minutes ago and the rep said as of yet a deal is not in place for including BTN on the regular tiers (i.e without the multi-sport package). Although, she mentioned that as a last resort if a deal is not in place by the start of the season the multi-sport package is usually offered at a discounted rate (I assume what people were talking about earlier). May just do that anyway if it's cheap since there's going to be an NFL season and RedZone is awesome.