Anyone worried about beck as our offensive coordinator

josh

I feel like I'm the only person that questions mr.beck. I respect him but not totally sold on him. The more the summer goes on the more nervous I get. What do you guys think. I feel like watson may have influenced him to the point of no return. SN called the new offense the cocktail offense because it was made up with a bunch of coaches sitting around having a few drinks jotting stuff down. Should we

be worried?

Bo Pelini selected Beck. In fact, he selected every coach on the staff save for Gilmore and Watson. I have been pleased with all of his selections, save maybe Cotton.

I think Cotton is almost as much administrator as he is a coach. It's in his title...Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line. Cotton could draw the plays, but he lacks some fire and intensity that's needed in the trenches. In the end, Cotton deferred to Watson, who was even more cerebral.

Watson had control of the offense. Gilmore relayed the plays. Brown and Beck have fire, but they were forced to live within the system we had in the hopes of limiting transition from the Callahan years.

It didn't work.

Pelini has now changed the chemistry on the offensive staff to fit the aggressive style of defense which the Huskers play. Cotton is still an administrator type, but Garrison is the fire that the offensive line needs. We want to run the ball aggressively and Brown is the perfect fit for adding that fire. He has mentioned that he learned a lot from working with Coach Solich, who was excellent in terms of coaching the run game. And everyone who talks about Rich Fisher says that he is very aggressive as well. He will do nicely mentoring the receivers who need to build up confidence after having worked with the robotic Gilmore. Nice selections. Beck has a vision that Pelini agrees with. Beck will call the plays and work with the QBs. And because of the relationship the two share, Pelini and Beck will work well together whereas the relationship between Watson and Pelini always seemed forced.

Sure, there is an element of unknown with every change. But I trust Pelini's football mind. He hasn't let us down. And he won't.

If there is any question looming over the Huskers, it's whether Martinez has the same burst that dropped jaws last year. If he does, and he stays healthy, this offense will be deadly. If not, the Huskers will have to hope that Brion Carnes' spring game success will transition quickly into success in actual contests.

• Fire 1

Worried? Maybe a little bit, but not really. I have 100% faith in Bo and trust him with what we are planning on putting on the field in 44 days.

Let's put things into perspective guys: We haven't had a full season under Mr. Beck. We haven't even had a conference game or even a full game under him to see how things will work.

Let's not jump on the bandwagon if we come out on fire in the first few games. But let's also not bury the guy if we struggle against great defenses either.

Keep things in perspective.

Although, I DO like what he is saying. High tempo offense, taking advantage of our ATHLETES instead of just getting guys on the field because of who they are. Finding ways to get our receivers open instead of just one thing but using their strengths and our teams strengths to get the best players on the field. Slimming down the playbook to make things simpler to take advantage of our younger guys getting on the field quicker. And hopefully implementing a run first spread option offense that can also pass the ball when needed to keep defenses honest, as well as being able to take shots down-field and trying to confuse the defense with play-action, roll-outs and fakes.

I will hold judgment on our offense until I see us play the rubber match against Washington, and against Wisconsin and Ohio State. Then I think we can evaluate our offense and have a better feel for them after those three games.

It's a fair topic.

But we are dealing with the unknown. People are generally afraid of what they do not know or what to expect.

I'm not too worried a little bit sure but if we could get 9 wins with Watson it proves we could get by with mediocre offense but if Beck is what we hope he will be then we'll be elite again.

So the way I look at it even if he isn't great his first year we should still come up with 9 wins which I can live with

Yes, I am worried. I got blasted for worrying about a player's comment on Cotton not focusing on technique, and he has yet to show me that I'm wrong. When it comes to Beck, it almost seems like more of that same thing, just at a higher level. Comments like, "Just get open" sounds just like the things Cotton was saying to his OL guys.

Doesn't help my confidence when he's never called a play at the collegiate level before either.

• Fire 1

I think people are overanalyzing the "just get open" comment as to the receivers running whatever route they want. I'm pretty sure what he means is sitting in the soft spots of the zone and when the QB is scrambling to have the deep guy come back and the short guy go upfield. You know the stuff high school coaches teach receivers to do.

I'm not too worried a little bit sure but if we could get 9 wins with Watson it proves we could get by with mediocre offense but if Beck is what we hope he will be then we'll be elite again.

So the way I look at it even if he isn't great his first year we should still come up with 9 wins which I can live with

Exactly.

I think the odds of him and the new staff doing worse than Callawatts/Gilmore is very, very slim.

When Bo was hired he hand seleceted most of his staff.

He had Watson and Gilmore forced on him...so take them out of the equation...

He pretty much got his #1 choice at every spot he picked.

He hired -

Carl Pelini

Ron Brown

John Papuchis

Mike Ekeler

Barney Cotton

James Dobson

Marvin Sanders

and Tim Beck.

Other than Barney, name ONE coach on that list that hasn't been exceptionally good at their job?

Beck was hand selected by Bo when Bo was hired to be Nebraska's offensive coordinator. He just had to wait a few years to let him do it.

Bo's got a pretty good track record of knowing who can do a job. I'm not worried at all.

I agree with blackshirt. Besides cotton, every coach bo has picked has been pretty damn good. I'm still giving cotton a chance since bo is still giving him chance. Bo is not stupid. He is going to play the best players and fix what is wrong. It's not like the callahan years. Bo is actually a good coach. Why do u think those other teams wanted him?

How quickly we forget his input in this. I'm sorry in advance.

Against the softest defense in Nebraska football history....

Yeah not impressed. That defense was pathetic. Watching this video, and watching Courtney Grixby even participate on a D1 football field is just ridiculous. If Beck couldn't produce against a Cosgrove defense, he wouldn't have gotten hired in the first place. Lets see what he can do against some good teams.