Put it on the Record

I'll go on record, and let it be etched in stone, NU will not lose to Penn State. Even in Happy Valley. OSU and MSU at home will be very tough games. They are at best a coin flip as many have said. Easily the games could be a split or a sweep one way or the other.

The game that I actually am looking at the hardest as a potentially looking as a snag is that November 19th trip to Ann Arbor. 9 starters back on O and 7 on D.

I'll go on record, and let it be etched in stone, NU will not lose to Penn State. Even in Happy Valley. OSU and MSU at home will be very tough games. They are at best a coin flip as many have said. Easily the games could be a split or a sweep one way or the other.

The game that I actually am looking at the hardest as a potentially looking as a snag is that November 19th trip to Ann Arbor. 9 starters back on O and 7 on D.

Crew and others ... why do the board view the OSU game as a rough game? From my perspective, this is gonna be a very average OSU team, we have them at home ... to me, if we execute on both sides of the ball we win this game by 10-14 and it really isn't close ... atleast that's how it should be. Are Husker fans just expecting the worst? Do we think we are that bad? Do they think we are that evenly matched?

Input?

Mine:

Chattanooga -Big win.

Fresno State -Big win.

Washington -Closer win.

Wyoming - Big win.

Wisconsin -Close loss.

Ohio State -Close win.

Minnesota -Big win.

Mich. State -Close win.

Northwestern-Big win. (I don't buy the hype. In my opinion Northwestern is Missouri with less talent.)

Penn State -Close loss.

Michigan -Win.

Iowa -Win.

10-2 regular season.

What say you?

11-1.

Only loss to Wisc.

Mine:

Chattanooga -Big win.

Fresno State -Big win.

Washington -Closer win.

Wyoming - Big win.

Wisconsin -Close loss.

Ohio State -Close win.

Minnesota -Big win.

Mich. State -Close win.

Northwestern-Big win. (I don't buy the hype. In my opinion Northwestern is Missouri with less talent.)

Penn State -Close loss.

Michigan -Win.

Iowa -Win.

10-2 regular season.

What say you?

Chattanooga -Big win.

Fresno State -close win. Fresno state has always played the good teams tough, they have a hell of a coach

Washington -huge win.

Wyoming - Big win.

Wisconsin -Close loss.

Ohio State -Close win.

Minnesota -Big win.

Mich. State -Close win.

Penn State -Close win.

Michigan -close Win.

Iowa - close Win.

we will finish 11-2, i think we will lose the big ten title game.

Chattanooga - Massacre.

Fresno State - Big win. Everyone is talking about how Fresno State is a giant-killer, but these are not those FSU Bulldogs. Fresno hasn't had a big win since, maybe, their 2006 bowl game where they beat a 7-6 Georgia Tech. The Bulldogs have gone 4-8 (68), 9-4 (95), 7-6 (90), 8-5 (84) and 8-5 (83) over the past five years. The number in parentheses is their SOS. This is not a good team and this will not be a close game.

Washington - This should be the signature game of the non-con schedule. This is a big one for the team after all the talking Washington's players and coaches did during the bowl game. This won't be a Texas-like meltdown. This will be a methodical beat-down, minus the overblown emotion of the Longhorns game of last year. If we don't win by two TDs or more, I'll be shocked.

Wyoming - Big win.

Wisconsin - Camp Randle will be rocking. This will be the first great test of our D Line, ranked 63rd in the nation against the run last year, against Wisconsin's high-powered rushing attack (12th in the nation with 3,200 yards and 48 TDs in 2010). The addition of Russel Wilson to this mix could be the deciding factor. I see this as a close loss, but it could easily snowball.

Ohio State - This game should look a lot like the 2009 Oklahoma game. Two tough defenses slugging it out, low-scoring, tough in the trenches. If the Buckeyes stick with Braxton Miller at QB we could rattle the Freshman and force him into turnovers. If they go with the older Bauserman, he doesn't bring the running game dynamic to the table that Miller has. I see us focusing a lot of heat on the Buckeye QB no matter who plays. If we get to him, we win. If the OSU O Line holds up, this could be a nail-biter. We probably win on a last-second FG by Bondi.

Minnesota - Win, by two TDs or more. The Golden Gophers are breaking in a new coach, new offensive scheme, and they went 3-9 last year. There will be no Pelini-like turnaround for a defense ruined by Cosgrove, and we should score on these guys early and often.

Michigan State - Another team fixing to get a dose of the Peso. Sparty returns Seniors at QB (Cousins), WR (Nichol, Cunningham & Martin) and TE (Linthicum). Like Nebraska the Spartans lose three starting O Linemen, so we should have an advantage along the line. Unfortunately for Sparty, their strength plays into our strength (Pass vs. Pass), and I'll put Bo's pass D up against any passing attack in the country. Win by ten.

Northwestern - I like Carlfense's analogy to Missouri. Persa may be a good QB, but he doesn't have the O Line that Missouri had and he doesn't have the WRs that Missouri had. We will go full-on Peso on this team and should win by two TDs.

Penn State - This is a tough one to call. Penn State returns a LOT of players from last year on both sides of the ball. Happy Valley will be a very tough venue. It's later in the season and we'll be full-on into the grind of the Big Ten. If Marty is healthy and the offense is in gear we could trade blows with this team in a lower-scoring game. Last possession wins? I'll take PSU in that scenario, but I don't like it.

Michigan - Another scary game, this time in The Big House. Coaching change turmoil could give us the win here. I see this as a repeat of the Oklahoma State game last year, with both teams scoring big. Only thing is, Michigan's defense is terrible. They were dead last in every major category in the Big Ten last year but one - Rush Defense, where they were second-to-last. Again, no Pelini-esque turnaround by the Wolverine defense in one year. Nebraska wins by a TD.

Iowa - Iowa is a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. They're decent-to-good at just about everything, but they give up yards on the ground and through the air, and they don't score a lot. The one thing they do reasonably well is keep teams out of the end zone. They've lost the bulk of their offense including Stanzi, their dynamic quarterback, and pretty much all of their skill players, but they return four of five starters on the O Line. They were shelled on defense, with Prater being most well-known returning starter from last season (at least in Nebraska). I anticipate a reasonably low-scoring game, with a healthy Husker team pulling out a 24-13 win.

I think (if I can count) that makes this a 10-2 regular season.

Good thread carlfense, and a nice rundown knapp. Here are my projections, based on absolutely no research and worth exactly two imaginary sand dollars in dream land.

Chattanooga: Vicious beat down.

Fresno State: Not as competitive a game as some here believe it will be. Close first quarter, we rapidly pull away from the 2nd quarter on. Backups see valuable time in the 2nd half.

Washington: Mean spirited game. Big NU win.

Wyoming: Surprisingly competitive. A close game that has people concerned heading into the increasingly infamous Camp Randle.

Wisco: Nebraska finally wins a huge game. Camp Randle is in full throat, but NU shocks the Badgers with turnovers and a fleet set of skill position players. To the surprise and chagrin of Wisco loyalists, Russell Wilson has an awful game.

Ohio State: A heartbreaker. Amid NC contender talk, the Huskers wilt in Lincoln to a Ohio State program buoyed by the realization that they will avoid the worst of NCAA sanctions. NU has its first loss.

Minnesota: A Nebraska team in a horrible mood shows up for this game. Big win.

Michigan State: Ugly game for both teams. Multiple turnovers and penalties. Close NU win.

Northwestern: The sudden, mini hype surrounding NW goes silent quickly, as NU jumps to a quick lead and never comes close to relinquishing it. Big, easy NU win.

Penn State: This will be the worst game of the season for NU fans. A one loss Husker team is starting to garner some national focus again after seeing a fair amount of attention wane after the loss to OSU. The Nittany Lions pounce all over the Huskers though and as Happy Valley rocks, heads hang in Lincoln as the Huskers go to 8-2.

Michigan: A real war in The Big House. Brady Hoke has made a dramatic impact on the Wolverines, much as Pelini did for us in '08. A back and forth affair featuring big hits and big plays. NU pulls it out, and a new rivalry is born.

Iowa: By Black Friday, there can be no denying the enmity between fan bases. The game itself features excellent defense and sluggish offenses, on a cold and windy day in Lincoln. NU pulls it out, and both teams walk away glaring back at their counterparts. NU-Iowa reveals itself to be an annual bad blood affair in year one.

NU 10-2, and going to the B1G championship on the result of an OSU victory over the Wolverines. And it's Nebraska - Ohio State in the title game. As Nebraska can tell you from the 1979 Orange Bowl, it is hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. That plays out here, and Nebraska somehow navigates a minefield of a schedule for an 11-2 record heading into a BCS bowl.

I'm still skeptical about our guys' mentality. We'll have good chance to be the favorite every time we take the field (again), but until they show the capacity to keep their heads down and grind out all 12 games I don't see us topping 10-2, with a win and a loss over one of MSU, PSU, WISC, and OSU and a loss to NW, FSU, or UM.

I'm still skeptical about our guys' mentality. We'll have good chance to be the favorite every time we take the field (again), but until they show the capacity to keep their heads down and grind out all 12 games I don't see us topping 10-2, with a win and a loss over one of MSU, PSU, WISC, and OSU and a loss to NW, FSU, or UM.

The recurring Achilles' heel of the Pelini-era Huskers. Let's hope they get that fixed.

The recurring Achilles' heel of the Pelini-era Huskers. Let's hope they get that fixed.

That's the unfortunate thing about the Pelini era is time and time again it's happened, and at some point it can't happen anymore or...

In what dimension do we lose to Fresno State???

I don't understand why so many of you are predicting a Penn State loss... Did you guys watch the same team as I did last season? They weren't impressive. And aren't inheriting a huge amount of skill or experience returning...

I think Fresno State will be far and away more of a challenge than Penn...

I picked PSU basically because it's in Happy Valley, at the end of a pretty tough season. But I'll admit I'm not solid on that pick.

Fresno State will not be more difficult than Penn State. They're here, they lack playmakers on both sides of the ball, and they are not the same Bulldogs teams that knocked off powerhouses early last decade. Those teams are long gone. They have been mediocre for five years.