Crick likes idea of playing more end

Anytime Nebraska coach Bo Pelini finds it advantageous to move Jared Crick to defensive end as part of a three-man line look this fall, the All-America tackle won't protest.

In fact, he will probably encourage it.

Crick thrived on the outside during Nebraska's 31-17 win over Missouri last year, torturing the offensive tackles who weren't prepared for a quick-footed, strong-armed bully to line up across from them. He had eight tackles, a sack, two stops behind the line of scrimmage and two hurries that afternoon.

Pass rushing off the edge? Fun!

"You feel a lot more freedom at the end," Crick said. "On the inside, there's a center there. Or if you want to shoot that B-gap, there's a tackle to help on you. At the end spot, you just go get 'em."

It's very likely that Crick will have more in-game opportunities on the outside this fall.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110730/BIGRED/707309858/-1#crick-likes-idea-of-playing-more-end

it's a big gamble taking him out of the middle, depends on who steps up and steps in at his inside spot...

Looked pretty good last year when they ran it againt mizzou with Baker in the middle. This isnt a permanent move, sounds like they are trying to find more ways to attack defenses.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 5 man front at times because we already know our DB's can play man. Plus if you have Lavonte David as the weak side LB and Will Compton as strong side. I think this is not what Big10 teams would want to see, especially Wisconsin, and Michigan State. Their receivers are NOT the kind of play makers to beat our secondary time and time again, if we played Man-to-Man most of the game.

We are deep enough at the DLine that I think we should utilize our strength in those games, and shut down their rushing attack. Buuuttt then again, I know that, thats why i'm here typing this out and not coaching at Nebraska :thumbs

it's a big gamble taking him out of the middle, depends on who steps up and steps in at his inside spot...

Looked pretty good last year when they ran it againt mizzou with Baker in the middle. This isnt a permanent move, sounds like they are trying to find more ways to attack defenses.

Using Missouri as an example for why a rush defense will succeed is never a good idea. You'll need a different benchmark...just about anybody would do.

Using Missouri as an example for why a rush defense will succeed is never a good idea. You'll need a different benchmark...just about anybody would do.

I used mizzou as an example because that game we saw the "spinner" defense the most.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 5 man front at times because we already know our DB's can play man. Plus if you have Lavonte David as the weak side LB and Will Compton as strong side. I think this is not what Big10 teams would want to see, especially Wisconsin, and Michigan State. Their receivers are NOT the kind of play makers to beat our secondary time and time again, if we played Man-to-Man most of the game.

We are deep enough at the DLine that I think we should utilize our strength in those games, and shut down their rushing attack. Buuuttt then again, I know that, thats why i'm here typing this out and not coaching at Nebraska :thumbs

We used the 5 man against CU in 2009, and it worked ok.