Spartan QB Cousins already eyeing Blackshirts test

Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins won't bother you with the one-game-at-a-time cliché.

He's upfront in saying he's already thought about facing Nebraska's defense come Oct. 29 in Lincoln.

"There's no doubt that Nebraska will give us as big of a challenge defensively as anybody we'll face all year," said Cousins, a two-year starter and fifth-year senior. "We'll have to be ready."

What exactly, in Cousins' eyes, makes Nebraska's defense so difficult to face?

"I think it starts at the top with Coach (Bo) Pelini," he said. "Everywhere he's been, he's had a tough defense. I think it starts at the top with him. They've recruited great players. Year in and year out they've had great players, top draft picks.

"I'm sure the combination of a great coach, a great scheme and great players, you're going to have a great defense."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_0b096e5c-0922-57c3-9b20-230bf2b2abad.html

Weeden had the most production of any quarterback against Nebraska during last year's regular season, when he threw for 283 yards and two touchdowns in a game the Huskers won 51-41.

About 125 of those yards came on 3 plays when he tossed it up, way underthrew Blackmon and Prince had no chance. 3-4 of Blackmon's catches that game were VERY underthrown and Prince had great position...just wasn't much he could have done.

EDIT: OK, after watching that only a couple of them were toss up. Prince kinda got owned that day.

Weeden had the most production of any quarterback against Nebraska during last year's regular season, when he threw for 283 yards and two touchdowns in a game the Huskers won 51-41.

About 125 of those yards came on 3 plays when he tossed it up, way underthrew Blackmon and Prince had no chance. 3-4 of Blackmon's catches that game were VERY underthrown and Prince had great position...just wasn't much he could have done.

Exactly. And let's be very clear - Justin Blackmon is probably the best WR in the nation, and there isn't a Justin Blackmon on the Sparty roster - not by a long shot.

Play like crap and they'll pass on us all day, I have no doubt. Cousins is a good QB and Martin and Cunningham are no slouches at WR. But if we play like we're capable, they won't come anywhere close to Oklahoma State's 41 points. Not remotely.

Cousins runs a 4.8/40. If ever there was a game where we would want to unleash Eric Martin on a pocket passer, it's this game.

Exactly. And let's be very clear - Justin Blackmon is probably the best WR in the nation, and there isn't a Justin Blackmon on the Sparty roster - not by a long shot.

Play like crap and they'll pass on us all day, I have no doubt. Cousins is a good QB and Martin and Cunningham are no slouches at WR. But if we play like we're capable, they won't come anywhere close to Oklahoma State's 41 points. Not remotely.

Cousins runs a 4.8/40. If ever there was a game where we would want to unleash Eric Martin on a pocket passer, it's this game.

CAVEMAN IS READY!!

caveman.jpg

If we had played OSU again, they wouldn't have been as productive. After the OSU game, we benched Thenarse and Smith in favor of Osborne and Cassidy, and that made a big difference. Prince had a bad day against Blackmon, but Dennard shut Blackmon down in the second half, and that's the corner Cousins will have to deal with.

Either way, I don't know what Weeden could have told Cousins other than, "throw a bunch of underthrown jump balls to your best receiver and hope that the cornerback falls over." If Michigan State takes anything from the OSU game, it should be how OSU hurt us by balancing out their passing attack with Kendall Hunter. Still, we would have had better run support in that game had Osborne and Cassidy been playing.

OSU was easily Prince's worst game last year. Bizarre, too, since he was going up against Blackmon. For whatever reason Prince was out of position and had bad body control. It happens.

Thing is, it's not likely to happen twice, and with two different DBs. Dennard is equal to the task of whatever they throw at him, and I have zero concerns about the other corner, no matter who that will be.

Michigan State was not a running threat last year, finishing 64th in the country in rushing. Our defense was designed over the last several years to specifically stop these kinds of offenses. It worked very well except against OSU last year, and again, there isn't a Justin Blackmon on Sparty. Not by a long shot.

If we had played OSU again, they wouldn't have been as productive. After the OSU game, we benched Thenarse and Smith in favor of Osborne and Cassidy, and that made a big difference. Prince had a bad day against Blackmon, but Dennard shut Blackmon down in the second half, and that's the corner Cousins will have to deal with.

Either way, I don't know what Weeden could have told Cousins other than, "throw a bunch of underthrown jump balls to your best receiver and hope that the cornerback falls over." If Michigan State takes anything from the OSU game, it should be how OSU hurt us by balancing out their passing attack with Kendall Hunter. Still, we would have had better run support in that game had Osborne and Cassidy been playing.

OSUs spread rushing attack was what really hurt us in my opinion. We couldnt stop Hunter...I know i know that PJ and Rickey were struggling with there tackling but i dont see how it would have been much different.

OSUs spread rushing attack was what really hurt us in my opinion. We couldnt stop Hunter...I know i know that PJ and Rickey were struggling with there tackling but i dont see how it would have been much different.

There was a night and day difference between how our defense played with Thenarse and Smith, and how they played with Osborne and Cassidy. Not only were Osborne and Cassidy better tacklers, but they were way more aggressive in getting up to the line and stopping running backs at the line of scrimmage.

edit:

Just watch all of the OSU highlights from this game - on almost every big run by Kendall Hunter, there was a missed tackle by Smith or Thenarse. On some of the pass plays, there were guys running completely uncovered (also on Thenarse or Smith), and on the flea-flicker, Amukumara should have had help from one of his safeties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9rTPow3XN8

Looking at Michigan St schedule he might want to worry about the first 7 games before setting his sights on the Blackshirts!! It isn't gonna be easy except maybe the first few!! I could see this team limping into Lincoln on Oct. 29th!! That looks like a pretty rough stretch from ND to NU

9-2 Youngstown

9-10 Florida Atlantic

9-17 @Notre Dame

9-24 Central Michigan

10-1 @Ohio St

10-15 Michigan

10-22 Wisconsin

10-29 @Nebraska

11-5 Minnesota

11-12 @Iowa

11-19 Indiana

11-26 @Northwestern