NC run, If not this year than in 2013

The softball thing...has been backed up by a couple other sources, AFAIK.

Doesn't seem like the biggest secret in the world.

How big a deal it is is your opinion.

I must have missed it, link?

Not news sources obviously. Another poster or two mentioned they had heard it as well, in that same thread. One guy downplayed it and said a lot of parents were unhappy at the ump that game.

Obviously.

Look, point is, it's coming from several different, independent directions. Now you may have different interpretations of it, and it's fair to question the more specific details about what happened, as there are going to be varying retellings - if it was a big huge blowup or a typical angry parent or bunch of parents at a game, or whatever. But the point is, that this isn't some myth pulled out of one guy's ass. It is a little pointless to suggest that. I am of the opinion that it isn't the biggest deal in the world by any stretch. But I also think that if Bo weren't involved, a fair lot of us just point at any of the adults involved and say, "Geez, what a buncha douches." Because, come on. A U12 softball game.

Some things - given their hard-hitting implications - should just be clarified as one's interpretation of events based on what they know, and not necessarily the way things are.

I mostly agree, but I think these things shouldn't be posted at all. If he's Tom Osborne's pet cat and has access to everything Osborne has access to, he shouldn't betray that confidence by posting this crap on a public forum. It's actually more annoying in its' vagueness than the specifics would be, because people use their imaginations to come up with worse things than reality.

Moiraine, I hear ya, it is frustrating to get hints and claims, with the fact that there is stuff to back it up, without getting the explicit story. At least that is true when it's negative. Well, still true when it's positive, but then it's frustrating in a good way. I take it as a very different take on Pelini's current situation as coach here at Nebraska than most have, and it's certainly one that merits reading about, whether you choose to dismiss it or not. Different angles such as these will always exist - and who knows, situations may change, and the worst case scenarios outlined may never come close to coming to fruition.

I must have missed it, link?

Not news sources obviously. Another poster or two mentioned they had heard it as well, in that same thread. One guy downplayed it and said a lot of parents were unhappy at the ump that game.

Obviously.

Look, point is, it's coming from several different, independent directions. Now you may have different interpretations of it, and it's fair to question the more specific details about what happened, as there are going to be varying retellings - if it was a big huge blowup or a typical angry parent or bunch of parents at a game, or whatever. But the point is, that this isn't some myth pulled out of one guy's ass. It is a little pointless to suggest that. I am of the opinion that it isn't the biggest deal in the world by any stretch. But I also think that if Bo weren't involved, a fair lot of us just point at any of the adults involved and say, "Geez, what a buncha douches." Because, come on. A U12 softball game.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just saying no one has provided evidence yet. Random message board poster who heard a rumor doesn't count as proof.

In order for NC contention, you also need to have the media finally consider the Big10 as a cupcake conference as well.

<_< What?

That makes no sense at all.

If I had to guess, I'd say Coqui meant NOT consider the Big Ten a cupcake conference. That lack of respect has been a talking point on Big Ten forums for a long time.

That thought crossed my mind, but even then it makes no sense. The Big 10 teams always seem to be rated high in the polls. I still think the Pac 10 has more trouble with respect. I think if Ohio State or Wisconsin had gone undefeated last year, Oregon would have been ranked #3.

It's not just the rankings initially. A loss drops us lower than losses in some other conferences and wins don't raise us up unless there's other losses above the teams....whereas I've seen SEC losses actually raise the team's ranking.

The problem with this season is no one knows for sure how we'll stack up against the other Big 10 teams. So we could have a great season or a horrible season..............no one knows we can only speculate. In the Big 12 since we had played those teams for so long we kinda knew how things were going to go with a few surprises here and there. I'm willing to give Bo some leeway this season given he has to adjust to new teams and a new conference. As long as we are competing for the conference championship on a regular basis I'm happy with him as our coach.

To be honest, from someone that doesn't post often, and typically sits back and watches the conversations run their course, I have a few observations:

First, it appears something happened at the softball game, but exactly what is up to interpretation. Regardless, it sounds like it never should have been brought up in the context of Pelini at the University of Nebraska, because it has NO bearing on his efficacy in that position, or his ability to do his job. In that sense, it was a parent being a parent, and like it or not, even people in that position should be give the opportunity to do that without being under the microscope. My opinion. Heck, I know where Tom goes to church (I see him every so often in passing, and my father-in-law actually knows the man, though not really well), but that doesn't mean I'm going to come on here to let everyone know when and where he was at church, and what happened. Give Bo a tad bit of a break already.

Second, Endoquan seems to have some type of inside source, or knows the program a bit. That being said, it becomes VERY apparent in only a few posts on here there is a grudge being held against Bo for something. Whether it was a personal slight or whatever, Endo has made it very apparent he doesn't like Bo, and also holds Bo to a MUCH higher standard than most here. I don't know enough in the program at UN-L to know where Tom is situated in relation to Bo. However, I think to give impressions about where Tom is situated just smacks of 'I know more than you', and 'Bo will get his in the end'. I don't care who you are, and I don't care what your grudge is, but that type of commentary becomes petty, cynical, and quite frankly extremely annoying to many regarding a message board devoted to the team this man coaches.

Third, let me make my stance perfectly clear: I am a Bo supporter, but I am more than anything a Husker supporter. I supported this team, Pederson, and Callahan when that was the group in charge. Not because I liked them or everything they did, but because I support UN-L and the program. I was a strong believer Frank needed to go, but wasn't happy about the fashion it was done in. But that being said, this was the man a vast majority of Husker nation wanted as head coach, and the one a vast majority will go to the wall for in support. Endo, I think you're SERIOUSLY underestimating the good will Bo has built among Husker nation simply by leading the Huskers back to the 9-10 win seasons. I'll gladly give you your due regarding this if things play out like they do, but I think you underestimate Bo, his capabilities, and how many in Husker nation believe in what he's doing.

All right, now that I've written that book. Back to my lurking. Have a blessed Sunday and a wonderful week all!

• Fire 9

When Bo first got here, the staff... circled 2010 as the year to make a run.

absolute failure.

they need to find employment elsewhere.

Oh good, you're posting again.

When you set your own objective, and that objective is winning a national championship, anything less than that means it is a failure. To have not hit any of the secondary goals like the ones mentioned, is signifying a failure. This program isn't about 10-4 so so seasons, it is about winning championships, at least of the conference variety.

Bo put this staff together, because he believes he should have won two conference championships and a National Championship, but the offensive holdovers were the reason he didn't win one. So now that he has "his" guys in place, there is nothing holding him back. Go get'em tiger...It is time for the excuse train and placing blame on everyone to stop. From here on out, any failure unequivocally falls on the shoulders of the head coach, as there are no more scapegoats around to pin it on and fire.

Steve is that you? (You forgot your favorite word...mediocrity)

• Fire 1

It depends entirely on your point of view. People I know who were at the tourney saw it as such an insignificant thing that they never mentioned it until I point-blank asked them. From what I've been told, it was a bunch of parents upset at several calls at a softball game, and Bo was one of them. Bo was not kicked out, and Bo didn't act any differently than parents act at pretty much any softball tournament I've ever been to.

Spinning this into anything - anything at all - whether that be a "secret" (it isn't, it's just too insignificant to mention), or as a step in the direction of Bo being fired, is completely false, and says far more about the people making such assertions than it does about Bo.

• Fire 1

National Title year? Come now. If you are a true Husker fan, you have to believe that any year could be a national title year. Look at last year for instance... I could totally see how we could have beaten Texas, heck we probably should have. I could totally see how we could have beat Texas A&M, heck we probably should have. I could totally see how we could have beaten OU, heck we should have. And the Holiday Bowl is a non-starter since it was a repeat bowl against a repeat foe that we had already dominated...in addition to the fact that we had all kinds of distractions as Bo was working with staff concerns heading into bowl time instead of focusing strictly on the opponent.

Bo has us back in relevance. Back in contention and back in the national title conversation.

Our offense will improve.

Our defense will be great.

Our schedule is manageable.

Why not win the National Title this year?

I will go into this with my usual attitude that we are going to win EVERY game. When we lose, I will assume that we will run the table from there....ect. Will I be disappointed if we are headed into the Iowa game as a three-to-four loss team? Without a doubt. And I am not saying the foes are not respectable and could not beat us. What I am saying is that I am not willing to think about the Huskers losing games until they actually lose them.

As a fan, I just can't think that way.

P.S. Bo is in no danger of being fired and anyone who wants him fired should note that I was very leary of all the Solich bashing that went on back in 2003. I think it empowered the AD at the time to think he could get by with canning Frank. I am by no means saying that Tom wants to fire Bo. I am also saying that we should affirm to TO that, as fans, we appreciate his patience with Bo and we want that situation to continue.

For the record I am 110% behind Bo and his staff.

Didn't Bo just get a contract extension? So not only other teams would back off from him, but also to let him know that the University and administration is behind him?

Seriously, come on people. Why does Notre Dame suck? Because they keep firing coach, after coach, after coach, after coach and have no chemistry in terms of keeping a coach they believe in. It's one thing to not believe in a coach after one season and everything came out that came out [see Bill Callahan] but it's completely different when Bo's teams is doing everything asked of them off-the field and having great chemistry.

Was 2010 a failure? Yeah, it was and Bo would be the first one to agree with it. But seriously, we were within seconds and a few plays here and there of winning back to back Big XII championships against two teams that have dominated the conference and have been in BCS bowl games. Should Bo seriously be fired for a few seconds and a few plays here and there?

Delusional.

Osborne never won the conference every year and even had an awful bowl resume of a losing streak until the 1995 Orange Bowl. Osborne is smarter than that.

Now what shouldn't be acceptable is what happened in 2002, 2004, and 2007. Those are not acceptable years at Nebraska.

But getting 9 to 10 wins a year, having ONE OF THE BEST defenses in the country and making the right changes on offense and adjusting the offense to his vision, he will be given more time, and probably more time than we all think.

I know college sports is cut-throat win now, but we've always done things differently than everyone else. I think holding onto a coach that has a track-record like Bo will pay off BIG time. He's a defensive mastermind, and if the offense can hold up their end of the bargain, no one will be complaining about Bo ever again. The only fact I have to post this is to show how ridiculous this whole thread/idea is.

I don't think it's that wrong in today's college football world, to expect 9-10 wins [2008, 2009, 2010] competing for conference championships every year [2009, 2010] and making a run at a National Title when the stars line up or when the team finally gets it's swagger going [2010, but failed for a few reasons and hypothetically 2011, 2013?] There's nothing wrong with those expectations at all.

It's not like we are asking Bo to "compete for the Divisional title" and if we "Don't get the Divisional title, well that's okay."

I know we expect championships, but championships aren't always National Championships, that's unreasonable to ask for. Every coach would be fired for that reason. We have to keep things in perspective people.

But getting to the conference title game, competing with everyone in the nation, hopefully getting to a BCS bowl and having a shot to win the whole enchilada every few years or even a few years in a row to get into it, is not unreasonable at all.

Every post this guy has is just a Bo-bashing post/thread. It's fine to have an opinion on him, but it's a fairly negative one and in my opinion, an un-fair one. Let's just go get some other coach and go 4-6 every year.

I know Bo isn't the only guy for the job, but some of you guys make me wonder how they would react once we had back to back losing seasons if we were to ridiculously fire Bo.

And this is coming from a guy who started watching Husker football in 1993 and grew up during 60-3 with 3[could-have-should-have-been-5]National Titles.

I can't believe I stopped reading this thread before EndoQuan started posting. I missed out on all the fireworks!

It took Tom Osborne until 1978 to beat Oklahoma, and it took him until 1994 to win a national championship. If Nebraska continues to win 9 or 10 games, anybody who thinks that Osborne is going to fire Bo is insane.

We like to say that Nebraska is about winning championships. That sounds nice and makes us all proud, but Nebraska isn't just about that. Osborne's Nebraska was about winning 9 games every year. It was when that streak broke in 2002 that the house started to crumble apart. Osborne himself will always be remembered by three things by outsiders - 1. The guy who led the most prolific 5 year run in NCAA football history (60-3 from 1993-1997), 2. The guy that played Lawrence Phillips, 3. The guy who ensured that every single year, for 25 years, Nebraska was a physical, competitive, and relevant football program. But his career for 22 years was #3 - he was a great coach that had consistently good teams, but he could never win the big one. It took him 22 years.

Bo's teams compete, they are relevant, they've reached a point right now where they can win every game they play, they stay out of trouble off the field and they have the best GPA of any football squad since 1987. Anybody who thinks Bo is in trouble right now is out of his mind. Firing Bo in the near future would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to Nebraska football right now.

• Fire 2

Second, Endoquan seems to have some type of inside source, or knows the program a bit.

Or Endoquan is full of it. Which I think is more likely.

Seriously a guy just shows up and starts bashing Bo, citing one incredibly inconsequential incident and then spouting a bunch of crap that he can't back up one bit?