Corey Raymond changing too much?

I am I

Change can be a challenge. We all know that.

Nebraska defensive backs are adjusting to a new approach under a new position coach, Corey Raymond.

"There's a lot of things he wanted us to change as far as technique-wise," sophomore cornerback Ciante Evans said. "I mean, the defense is still going to be the defense. But technique-wise, he wanted us in different positions and there are different reads. We have to go off what he wants."

Nebraska led the nation in pass-efficiency defense in 2009 and was third in 2010.

Evans, projected to start opposite of Alfonzo Dennard, discusses Raymond.

"In the spring, (Raymond) just came in and was playing the role of the laid-back (coach)," Evans said. "But now fall kicked in, and he's ready to get on us hard. He's pushing us to excellence right now. We're taking it and we're running with it."

per: LJS.com

So this is about the 3rd or 4th time i've read about our new DB coach changing technique, changing mindsets, putting his stamp on it, whatever...which is all fine and each coach has their different approach; my evolving thought process is 2 fold:

1. (probly the most accurate) Are the reporters asking the same questions over and over, such as: "what is the difference between coach Sanders and coach Raymond?" "How has the DB philosophy changed along with the coaching change?" etc..etc.. so that it is being reported that there are 'DRASTIC CHANGES!' in said approach to the actual players. Which leads to the half dozen articles quoting players that, despite the defense remaining the same, it has been challenging learning new techniques; even tho the techniques previously used were obviously pretty damn good?

OR

2.(probly my reading into it too much) the players are being asked what the difference is, and being honest, they are saying Raymond is taking away their "physical" approach and relying on a new philosophy of footwork and technique...which really won't make it more difficult to cover, but there has been a hindering learning curve that may take a few weeks to iron out once the season starts?

my thoughts are, Sanders was very effective. He was liked by Bo and the players. We were freakin awesome in the secondary the last 2-3 yrs.

Now a new coach comes in, and while equally likeable, see's things that need "fixing" and actually takes away from what has worked pretty well.

On the other hand, we were flagged a bit last year, and while it may take a little time fundamentals, footwork, and technique will win over just shoving guys around back there in the long run.

what say ye? worried about the change for Dennard and Co.? or do you think as long as the Bo-losophy is in place, actual technique takes a back seat?

One of the articles on the secondary stressed the point that the Big 10 style of officiating when it comes to receiver/corner contact is much less lenient than in the Big XII. I have no idea if that's true or not. Supposedly some of the changes are happening so we don't get PI flags every other play. Anyone have any more information?

• Fire 1

Yeah, that was one of the articles that I read too.

Which was 1 of a few in the last few days.

Which makes me think the media are just asking questions over and over much like they ask the same of the offensive players since their is a new OC.

If Raymond see's that as something that needs to be cleared up, then i'm all for it. Bo also said that he has "great chemistry" with Raymond, and he wouldn't have hired him if he didn't. In Bo i trust.

I think we are stacked in the DB chart. I'm just wondering if there is a smidgeon of 'discomfort', not forever just initially, that the players are feeling. Not due to not liking Raymond or anything like that, but just that, much like the entire offense, they have to learn new formulas of covering people and whatnot?

I'm not sure we are that stacked at DB. But I think any changes, are being made under Bo Pelini's direction. Raymond's more of a technician is all that's being said. I guess it's fair to wonder if that means, players aren't really getting it. But being a technician is a good thing.

I think Raymond is trying to get our DBs to another level with their play. It is all good being physical, but when you are physical without good technique, you can get burned more often then not. It's alot like wrestling, you can have a guy that is stronger then anyone and put him up against a great technician and the technician will win 9 out of 10 times, if not all 10.

One of the articles on the secondary stressed the point that the Big 10 style of officiating when it comes to receiver/corner contact is much less lenient than in the Big XII. I have no idea if that's true or not. Supposedly some of the changes are happening so we don't get PI flags every other play. Anyone have any more information?

I see this and others as advantage Huskers. Big XII was a stronger conference.

It's funny. I've read a few articles from Sipple of the LJS talking about these so called technique changes at the defensive back position. Yet, I watched the post practice video on Huskers.com the other day and Sipple clearly asked Pelini about these changes. Pelini had no clue what the hell Sipple was talking about. In short Pelini said, changes? what changes? why would I want Dennard to change anything, he's great at what he does and should keep doing it. Sounds to me like the new coach is making some waves with his own technique and Pelini is not aware of it. I don't know how it will be handled from there but I found it interesting that Pelini had no idea his new coach was changing things up at what has been the strongest part of our defense the past couple years.

Or it could be the changes aren't as big as they're made out to be. From what I've read it's mostly about using their athleticism in guarding receivers and not relying so much on jamming (which you saw a whole lot last year, even 5-10 yards down the field) and away from putting their hands on the receiver. It's probably not going away, but Raymond wants them to focus on excelling and if they're going to penalized for putting their hands on receivers (more often than in the Big XII), then they need to know how to play without that contact.

I for one do not think Raymond is undermining Pelini's authority in the way that you're suggesting. Or it could be that Pelini has gotten better as an administrator and is just letting his coaches coach.

As long as there's a Pelini in charge, we'll be fine. Man we are SERIOUSLY getting desperate for talking points.

agreed bo is like the bofather... he gives the orders and the guys fit their style based on what he wants... he would let CR or have hired CR f#*k up his D.....