Alleged Miami Violations "Biggest NCAA Investigators Have Ever Seen"

nowhereman

The problem with the whole SMU argument is that I don't believe that's the most relevant precedent. The most relevant precedent is USC. USC, who we'll all remember was slammed to the tune of 30 schollies and two years without a bowl, the harshest penalty in recent memory. What USC did looks like playing Candy Land past bedtime compared to the U's antics.

Forget which was worse, SMU or Miami. Just look at the infractions, the length, the breadth, and the depth of them. Consider that they are now repeat violators. To me the Death Penalty is the only punishment fitting this kind of corruption. When you have a handful of coaches and dozens of players involved for the better part of a decade, what else is just? You couldn't strip enough schollies to make it fair after what they did to USC.

USC was on probation at the time of the two violations that were discovered. It was so consistent with Trojan history that no one else really believes it was confined to Bush and Jarret.

This is big, but is not bigger than the SMU mess in the '80s. No death penalty will be given. Not for this, and probably not ever again.

This is way, way bigger.

I agree, with the NCAA proving that it can come down hard on teams that violate rules like this. Its going to be the Death Penalty, but it will be a long process before it gets handed down.

Just read the entire original article......... man I need a smoke.

I think this bigger than what happened at USC or tOSU.... its pretty much on the same level as SMU because its repeat violations (while on probation) and the length of time that it went on.

Coming Soon to ESPN 30 for 30.... Lil' Luke: Thanks 4 the love.

Again I need to point out what happened at OSU is not even in the same ball park as SMU or this, in fact USC isn't even in the sane ball park

So I have done some soul searching and came up with best defense for the U. It goes a little something like this. Delta House style!!

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests -- we did. [winks at Mark Emmert] But you can't hold a whole athletic program responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole college football system? And if the whole college football system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Mark -- isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

++1

Do you think they will vacate the 2001 BCS national championship to Nebraska?

As badly as we got beat in that game, combined with the fact that we were only there due to a freakish calculation of the numbers and added to the fact that we got absolutely depantsed by Colorado the game before, I don't want that title. It would be a bigger embarrassment if they gave it to us. They should just vacate it and leave it alone.

• Fire 1

How much does political correctness come into play here? SMU was considered a rich "white" man's school and the paid player that broke the story was white. Miami is seen as as school that gives opportunities to a lot of african-americans from the poor areas of south Florida. Would the NCAA want to be see as taking away those opportunities?

How much does political correctness come into play here? SMU was considered a rich "white" man's school and the paid player that broke the story was white. Miami is seen as as school that gives opportunities to a lot of african-americans from the poor areas of south Florida. Would the NCAA want to be see as taking away those opportunities?

Really? You think race/color has anything to do with this?

:o They're not even discussing TV bans or the Death Penalty? I think they had damned well better start discussing those things, or nobody anywhere will ever again have any respect for the NCAA, and violations like this will continue.

Storm Over Miami

Julie Roe Lach, the N.C.A.A.’s vice president for enforcement, said in an interview Wednesday that there had been little discussion about reviving harsh penalties like television bans or the so-called death penalty, two punishments once used by the N.C.A.A. that have long been shelved.

The N.C.A.A., which has been investigating Miami since March, continues to try to bolster enforcement, but it does so against a backdrop of television contracts in the billions and some coaching salaries that eclipse $5 million.

“There isn’t a public outcry to do something about a system that is so terribly broken,” said J. Brent Clark, a former N.C.A.A. investigator who is now a lawyer in Oklahoma City. “The game is too popular and the money is too big.”

One veteran compliance official, who requested anonymity because he was not permitted to speak publicly about Miami’s case, said that if the N.C.A.A. upheld the findings in the Yahoo report, it would be the most significant case he had seen. He said the most critical element of the report was that it appeared that coaches and administrators were aware of what Shapiro was doing and did nothing about it.

He said that would put it on the same level as the N.C.A.A.’s recent case against Southern California, but at a far greater extent. The N.C.A.A. docked U.S.C. 30 football scholarships and issued a two-year postseason ban. U.S.C. Coach Lane Kiffin recently said the program would not recover for about seven years.

“It would seem that this could set the program back light-years,” the compliance official said of Miami.

:o They're not even discussing TV bans or the Death Penalty? I think they had damned well better start discussing those things, or nobody anywhere will ever again have any respect for the NCAA, and violations like this will continue.

Storm Over Miami

Julie Roe Lach, the N.C.A.A.’s vice president for enforcement, said in an interview Wednesday that there had been little discussion about reviving harsh penalties like television bans or the so-called death penalty, two punishments once used by the N.C.A.A. that have long been shelved.

The N.C.A.A., which has been investigating Miami since March, continues to try to bolster enforcement, but it does so against a backdrop of television contracts in the billions and some coaching salaries that eclipse $5 million.

“There isn’t a public outcry to do something about a system that is so terribly broken,” said J. Brent Clark, a former N.C.A.A. investigator who is now a lawyer in Oklahoma City. “The game is too popular and the money is too big.”

One veteran compliance official, who requested anonymity because he was not permitted to speak publicly about Miami’s case, said that if the N.C.A.A. upheld the findings in the Yahoo report, it would be the most significant case he had seen. He said the most critical element of the report was that it appeared that coaches and administrators were aware of what Shapiro was doing and did nothing about it.

He said that would put it on the same level as the N.C.A.A.’s recent case against Southern California, but at a far greater extent. The N.C.A.A. docked U.S.C. 30 football scholarships and issued a two-year postseason ban. U.S.C. Coach Lane Kiffin recently said the program would not recover for about seven years.

“It would seem that this could set the program back light-years,” the compliance official said of Miami.

This is blatant cowardice on the part of the NCAA. Miami is not a linchpin program that would break the ACC or local Florida FBS football. They aren't a good TV draw, and whatever cache they built with the public is years old.

If anything, Miami is *THE* perfect program to make an example of and give the death penalty to, especially considering the extent of the violations. If anything short of the death penalty takes place, fans should revolt and (proverbially, not literally, of course) burn down the NCAA offices.