Alleged Miami Violations "Biggest NCAA Investigators Have Ever Seen"

nowhereman

This is big, but is not bigger than the SMU mess in the '80s. No death penalty will be given. Not for this, and probably not ever again.

Actually it is bigger. Far more players involved with far more money involved for longer. It just wasn't directly run by the school's administration but they were still aware of it.

SMU was just more persistent with it even after getting caught.

This is big, but is not bigger than the SMU mess in the '80s. No death penalty will be given. Not for this, and probably not ever again.

This is way, way bigger.

No. Its not. There's a difference (not huge, but a difference) between mainly one rogue booster providing the benefits outlined in the article to players, and a coalition of boosters and the athletic department systematically paying recruits to attend the university (SMU). Seriously, this is bad. SMU was worse.

This is way, way bigger.

No. Its not. There's a difference (not huge, but a difference) between mainly one rogue booster providing the benefits outlined in the article to players, and a coalition of boosters and the athletic department systematically paying recruits to attend the university (SMU). Seriously, this is bad. SMU was worse.

It's not a 'rogue' booster when it is known by and in some cases solicited by the coaching staffs and school administrators. This is exactly the same rules wise. It doesn't matter that a few less people were bankrolling it. The boosters are not the violations.

After browsing around a bit, this little gem was found on another few forums.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/2003/Division+I/infractions+case_+university+of+miami+%28florida%29+-+3-17-03.html

The case concerned violations of NCAA bylaws governing recruiting, financial aid, playing and practice season restrictions, honesty standards and institutional monitoring of the baseball program. This is the institution's fifth major infractions case; the university appeared before the committee in 1995 (baseball, football, women's golf and men's tennis), 1981 (football), 1964 (men's basketball) and 1955 (football)...

Because this case was determined to be major in nature, the university is considered a repeat violator, as specified in NCAA Bylaw 19.6.2.3.1. It appeared to the committee that the university either did not follow through with corrective measures outlined in its annual compliance reports from the previous case, or that the measures failed to prevent similar violations from occurring...

The university shall be placed on two years of probation beginning February 27, 2003, and ending February 26, 2005...

As required by NCAA legislation for any institution involved in a major infractions case, Miami shall be subject to the provisions of NCAA Bylaw 19.6.2.3, concerning repeat violators, for a five-year period beginning on the effective date of the penalties in this case (February 27, 2003).

So any violations between 2003 and 2008 are repeat violations. Anything between 2003 and 2005 are violations while still on probation. Assuming the statute of limitations is moved back. (and if ever there was a case where that would be easily warranted)

This takes it up to a whole new level of SKEEEERUUUUDAH.

I'd say if the requirement on repeat violators punishment that happened to SMU doesn't kick in here it obviously won't ever again.

The Sporting News disagrees : Sporting News Linky

The Miami Hurricanes, in what could be the biggest scandal in college football history, just made the SMU Mustangs of the 1980s look like jaywalkers.

Sex, money, bling, TVs, food, an abortion, parties (and there one assumes drugs), contracts to injure opposing playersa snapshot of the most degenerate program in the history of the sport. How the NCAA would not simply close the doors on Miami athletics is going to be the next big story. You can't survive something like this. Every rule that exists to promote the integrity of college football was discarded by players, coaches, boosters, and officials at the U. And the evidence is overwhelming, a deluge of first hand verification.

Nothing in that article wasn't going on during the 80s. They got a moderate penalty for cheating then and they'll get another one now. It also took 6 years after it became obvious and only after they had stopped winning a ton.

If the ncaa doesn't say the following I'd say every team in the ncaa should pay its players and recruits....."Miami I sentence you to death. For 20 years you are not allowed any football scholarships. You will exist as a walk-on program only. You forego all wins for 20 years and will participate in no television revenue for ten years. No bowl games and no conference payouts will be given. All trophies for last ten years are to be returned and you will never be allowed to be called tha U publicly again or you will pay $1,000,000 for each time that stupid thugs talk is mentioned. Good luck and godspeed."

If the ncaa doesn't say the following I'd say every team in the ncaa should pay its players and recruits....."Miami I sentence you to death. For 20 years you are not allowed any football scholarships. You will exist as a walk-on program only. You forego all wins for 20 years and will participate in no television revenue for ten years. No bowl games and no conference payouts will be given. All trophies for last ten years are to be returned and you will never be allowed to be called tha U publicly again or you will pay $1,000,000 for each time that stupid thugs talk is mentioned. Good luck and godspeed."

That last part made me :LOLtartar

The Miami Hurricanes, in what could be the biggest scandal in college football history, just made the SMU Mustangs of the 1980s look like jaywalkers.

Sports media and reality are hardly matching.

The media made Ohio State's issues to be worse than USC's.

SMU's AD and Administration were directly involved. Miami just accepted donations from the guy. They didn't set it all up. The NCAA wasn't warning Miami about this while it was going on like they did to SMU.

The change in times and economy make this look a lot worse than the SMU case. It's still very bad, but still not on SMU level.

I prefer:

Miami, what you've just done is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your rambling, incoherent seasons as a football program were you even close to anything that could be considered a success. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having witnessed this. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Fire 2

Sports media and reality are hardly matching.

The media made Ohio State's issues to be worse than USC's.

SMU's AD and Administration were directly involved. Miami just accepted donations from the guy. They didn't set it all up. The NCAA wasn't warning Miami about this while it was going on like they did to SMU.

The change in times and economy make this look a lot worse than the SMU case. It's still very bad, but still not on SMU level.

The totality of the tOSU allegations, if they had (or are) proven to be true, were definitely worse then USC's. There were more players supposedly involved, more cars, and basically TP signing things for cash, stealing team equipment to sell, etc.

In tOSU's case I think its fairly safe to say more was going on then just what the NCAA originally alleged and probably less then what the Media alleged. While plenty of what the media had reported hasn't turned into NCAA violations at this point, I have yet to see SI printing retractions or the threatened libel lawsuits filed (I'd be thankful yahoo wasn't the one reporting in that case, as the paper trail they uncovered in Mayo and Bush's case got USC). Forgive me if I am wrong, but that investigation is still open as well. I'm sure if there was absolutely no substance that wouldn't be the case. Sure maybe nothing else ever comes from it, but it's not like it was some squeaky clean ending. It's sure been put into perspective big time yesterday evening though.

In Miami's case if everything (or even half of what is alleged) is proven in the NCAA's mind (especially the complicit coaches) this is way bigger then the SMU case not just by sheer volume of infractions, but by the amount of money, the amount of players involved, and nearly equal in time span to the entire 11 years SMU kept getting probation before the death penalty. The penalties may not end up being the same but I think anyone that says its not as big a scandal as SMU simply hasn't had it sink in yet or has let ESPN's stupid hype machine and Pony Exce$$ glorify the SMU deal into the end all be all of CFB scandals (which it was, until yesterday).

SMU's last straw:

Eventually, the NCAA investigation revealed that from 1985 to 1986, 13 players had been paid a total of $61,000 from a slush fund provided by a booster. Payments ranged from $50 to $725 a month, and had started only a month after SMU had been slapped with its latest probation.

This Miami booster provided 1.5x that amount in one strip club alone and that's just on his credit card after his wad of cash for the night ran out. He did this for way more players and coaches knew (even tagged along) and that's just one of the three (I think) strip clubs they mentioned and only one small fraction of the whole laundry list of impermissible benefits and recruiting violations.

This would also put Miami in a string of repeat violations for anything that happened from 2003-2008 dating all the way back as far as the 1995 scandal that included (per wikipedia):

In 1994, Tony Russell, a former UM academic advisor, pleaded guilty to helping more than 80 student athletes, 57 of whom were football players, falsify Pell Grant applications in exchange for kickbacks from the players themselves. The scandal dated all the way back to 1989 and secured more than $220,000 in federal grant money. Federal officials later said that Russell had engineered "perhaps the largest centralized fraud ... ever committed" in the history of the Pell Grant program.

In late 1995, the NCAA concluded that, in addition to the fraudulent Pell Grants facilitated by Russell, the university had also provided or allowed over $400,000 worth of other, improper payments to Miami football players. The NCAA also found that the university had failed to wholly implement its drug testing program, and permitted three football student-athletes to compete without being subject to the required disciplinary measures specified in the policy. Finally, the NCAA concluded, the university had lost institutional control over the football program

You guys saying it's not as bad as SMU are incorrect and haven't compared (or simply don't know) the SMU case very well.

As a whole this is much larger. These are just the 72 players and hundreds of benefits they could corroborate sources on and detail before going to print. Supposedly there were well over 100 players mentioned and given to Yahoo. Do you think the NCAA won't be looking into those as well? This could get worse then what has been reported.