Alleged Miami Violations "Biggest NCAA Investigators Have Ever Seen"

nowhereman

I wonder what this means for players who transferred to other schools, such as the Brown brothers from Kansas, who were both mentioned somewhere along the lines. Both transferred out of their respective schools back to Kansas State. As much as I bag on KSU, I have to feel bad for them in this situation because it looks like if they played, it might bring them some violations. (taking a shower now since I feel so dirty after that).

I smell two years probation, 150k fine, and loss of two scholarships over the next three years knowing how the NCAA operates these days. Besides as been pointed out an innocent high school grad who is just wanting to be allowed to join his team and attend college isn't involved so the death penalty would be harsh now wouldn't it?

God I hope I don't really need to put up the emoticon for the slow people.

I believe this is the "Level 10" story Yahoo Sports has been teasing us with in the off-season. It appears there was a MASSIVE level of corruption at Tha U. Not shocking or surprising given their history, but this is ugly enough that it might just kill their program for a long, long time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

A former University of Miami booster, incarcerated for his role in a $930 million Ponzi scheme, has told Yahoo! Sports he provided thousands of impermissible benefits to at least 72 athletes from 2002 through 2010.

In 100 hours of jailhouse interviews during Yahoo! Sports’ 11-month investigation, former Hurricanes booster Nevin Shapiro described a sustained, eight-year run of rampant NCAA rule-breaking, some of it with the knowledge or direct participation of at least seven coaches from the Miami football and basketball programs. At a cost that Shapiro estimates in the millions of dollars, he said his benefits to athletes included but were not limited to: cash, prostitutes, entertainment in his multimillion-dollar homes and yacht, paid trips to high-end restaurants and nightclubs, jewelry, bounties for on-field play (including bounties for injuring opposing players), travel and on one occasion, an abortion.

Bo Pelini, consider yourself a lucky man for not accepting Miami's efforts to court you last year.

What are the odds that Pat Haden will be at the sanctions hearing for DEE?

“High-profile players demand high-profile compliance,” Dee said while announcing USC’s sanctions.

Now Shapiro says Miami’s athletic compliance – Dee’s own backyard while Shapiro was operating – suffered one catastrophic oversight after another.

How will Miami react to Paul Dee?

For Dee, Miami's athletic director since 1993, the scandal apparently was a career saver because when he retired from the position in 2008, he went to work for, of all places, the NCAA.

Think about that for a moment.

Dee oversees one of the worst scandals in college football history and his reward is to go to work for college football's governing body, the very entity that sanctioned Miami, whom Dee was responsible for administering.

Unbelievable.

But wait, it gets better.

If these new allegations are true, Dee was also the Miami AD from 2002 to 2008, which was when he retired to take the NCAA job.

Now some might call me cynical, but if I am a Miami Hurricane fan, I'm feeling pretty good about the direction this ugly situation might go.

After all, my team's former athletic director, the guy who didn't catch an all-time pattern of fraud at the school, is now a big-time player at the organization who will be charged with conducting an investigation over infractions committed when he was still administering my team's athletics.

What a great deal for the 'Canes!

link:http://www.sportsnewsreader.com/miami-hurricanes-football-how-will-ncaa-handle-paul-dee-after-new-allegations/

Miami is going to be a nuclear fallout zone if even half this stuff is verified by the NCAA.

Imagine how big of a joke the NCAA will be if they DON'T nuke Miami over this. If they don't give the Canes the death penalty, nobody will ever respect their rules again.

Are they even eligible for the death penalty? I know there's a clause that states they have to have been on probation within the last 5 years. Have they been on probation within that time frame?

I just finished reading the entire article. Usually something that long would have you thinking the writer had set his sites on the pulitzer or something, but the truth is the simple task of stating and substantiating the litany of corruption at Miami just took that many words. It's almost indescribable. I'm not a lifelong close follower of sports or football like I am now, but for as long as I've been somewhat aware of what's going on in the world of college football, I've never seen anything like this. There's really no other way to describe the corruption than to go through it point by point like the brilliant writer Charles Robinson has done.

Sex, money, bling, TVs, food, an abortion, parties (and there one assumes drugs), contracts to injure opposing players––a snapshot of the most degenerate program in the history of the sport. How the NCAA would not simply close the doors on Miami athletics is going to be the next big story. You can't survive something like this. Every rule that exists to promote the integrity of college football was discarded by players, coaches, boosters, and officials at the U. And the evidence is overwhelming, a deluge of first hand verification.

I hope if there are any Nebraska players involved in any kind of backward dealings, they take a good look at this article, and eventually the consequences. Miami is finished––or should be. Suddenly Bo's focus on recruiting 'character kids' makes a world of sense. One man is likely going to be the death of Miami football for the foreseeable future. It only takes one outsider and a guy or two who see a free lunch to bring the whole show down. In the case of Miami, we can only hope that the NCAA does what needs to be done here. Nothing this corrupt should be allowed to continue and stain the sport we love.

I believe this is the "Level 10" story Yahoo Sports has been teasing us with in the off-season. It appears there was a MASSIVE level of corruption at Tha U. Not shocking or surprising given their history, but this is ugly enough that it might just kill their program for a long, long time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=cr-renegade_miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

A former University of Miami booster, incarcerated for his role in a $930 million Ponzi scheme, has told Yahoo! Sports he provided thousands of impermissible benefits to at least 72 athletes from 2002 through 2010.

In 100 hours of jailhouse interviews during Yahoo! Sports’ 11-month investigation, former Hurricanes booster Nevin Shapiro described a sustained, eight-year run of rampant NCAA rule-breaking, some of it with the knowledge or direct participation of at least seven coaches from the Miami football and basketball programs. At a cost that Shapiro estimates in the millions of dollars, he said his benefits to athletes included but were not limited to: cash, prostitutes, entertainment in his multimillion-dollar homes and yacht, paid trips to high-end restaurants and nightclubs, jewelry, bounties for on-field play (including bounties for injuring opposing players), travel and on one occasion, an abortion.

Bo Pelini, consider yourself a lucky man for not accepting Miami's efforts to court you last year.

What are the odds that Pat Haden will be at the sanctions hearing for DEE?

“High-profile players demand high-profile compliance,” Dee said while announcing USC’s sanctions.

Now Shapiro says Miami’s athletic compliance – Dee’s own backyard while Shapiro was operating – suffered one catastrophic oversight after another.

How will Miami react to Paul Dee?

For Dee, Miami's athletic director since 1993, the scandal apparently was a career saver because when he retired from the position in 2008, he went to work for, of all places, the NCAA.

Think about that for a moment.

Dee oversees one of the worst scandals in college football history and his reward is to go to work for college football's governing body, the very entity that sanctioned Miami, whom Dee was responsible for administering.

Unbelievable.

But wait, it gets better.

If these new allegations are true, Dee was also the Miami AD from 2002 to 2008, which was when he retired to take the NCAA job.

Now some might call me cynical, but if I am a Miami Hurricane fan, I'm feeling pretty good about the direction this ugly situation might go.

After all, my team's former athletic director, the guy who didn't catch an all-time pattern of fraud at the school, is now a big-time player at the organization who will be charged with conducting an investigation over infractions committed when he was still administering my team's athletics.

What a great deal for the 'Canes!

link:http://www.sportsnewsreader.com/miami-hurricanes-football-how-will-ncaa-handle-paul-dee-after-new-allegations/

There is no way Dee didn't know about this and will likely be outed. I am betting Dee either resigns or is asked to leave his position with the ncaa. If not the ncaa will be bigger joke than it already is. This deal is so bad, that if not handled with an iron fist the ball could start rolling to do away with the ncaa.

Oh, btw, per wikipedia the Death Penalty could still be handed down to Miami even if they are not on probation:

The NCAA has always had the power to ban an institution from competing in a particular sport. However, in 1985, in response to rampant violations at several schools, the NCAA Council passed the "repeat violator" rule. The rule stipulates that if a second major violation occurs at any institution within five years of being on probation in the same sport or another sport, that institution can be barred from competing in the sport involved in the second violation for either one or two seasons. In cases of particularly egregious misconduct, a school can also be stripped of its right to vote at NCAA conventions for four years. The severity of the penalty led the media to dub it "the death penalty," and the nickname has stuck to this day.[1] The NCAA still has the power to ban schools from competing in a sport without any preliminary sanctions in cases of particularly serious violations. However, the "repeat violator" rule gave the Infractions Committees of the various NCAA divisions specific instances where it either must bar a school from competing or explain why it didn't.