Taylor Throwing Motion

That has more to do with footwork than throwing motion. Which is something that is a big issue with Taylor. Even if he sets his feet properly he's still going to have the same awkward looking throwing motion, i.e. cocking his head back which gives him the appearance of a shot putter.

Footwork affects your throwing motion. Players tend to compensate in other parts of their motion when things are not going right.

For example - if you have a player who hits hard on his back foot during his drop, it will end up slowing down the rest of their throwing motion. Slowed throwing motion lends to a player tending to use his upper body more due to a decreased velocity on their throw because of them now using their trunk and hips.

In Taylor's case, because of his poor footwork, it lends to him almost trying to push a ball to get power on it, rather than actually throwing it. That also is part of the problem of him not being accurate enough to throw to where a receiver will be, instead throwing to where the receiver currently is.

It's all related.

That has more to do with footwork than throwing motion. Which is something that is a big issue with Taylor. Even if he sets his feet properly he's still going to have the same awkward looking throwing motion, i.e. cocking his head back which gives him the appearance of a shot putter.

Footwork affects your throwing motion. Players tend to compensate in other parts of their motion when things are not going right.

For example - if you have a player who hits hard on his back foot during his drop, it will end up slowing down the rest of their throwing motion. Slowed throwing motion lends to a player tending to use his upper body more due to a decreased velocity on their throw because of them now using their trunk and hips.

In Taylor's case, because of his poor footwork, it lends to him almost trying to push a ball to get power on it, rather than actually throwing it. That also is part of the problem of him not being accurate enough to throw to where a receiver will be, instead throwing to where the receiver currently is.

It's all related.

Exactly. I wish I could have said it as well myself. Sure T-Mart's throwing motion changed. He got hurt. But look back to his throws early in the season. His passing was quite impressive--what little he did. In this video look at the pass he makes against Idaho at the 4:20. That's a 30 yd pass. With zip, and right on the money. The pass against K. St. at 3:50--that ball goes 45 yds in the air. And the pass vs Wash at 4:05 in the video--a thing of beauty. Taylor Martinez has a strong arm. He just needs a bit more experience to develop some touch on the ball, and to know where to place the ball so his receivers don't get creamed.

It's all related.

Well said, BW. It's one of those things most folks don't look at (me included) because we're more worried about the end result rather than the underlying mechanics.

The good thing is, if we're run-heavy, we can suffer through a QB with a poor throwing motion, since it's not a part of the game we rely on. He just needs to be competent, not excellent. A good example of this is Scott "shot put" Frost, who probably had the worst-looking throwing motion of the last thirty years at Nebraska.

Martinez set a Nebraska freshman record with 323 yards passing, threw a career-high five touchdown passes and the 14th-ranked Cornhuskers knocked No. 17 Oklahoma State from the ranks of the unbeaten with a 51-41 win on Saturday.

If the results are like that with any consistency, he can under hand toss for all I care.

Statistical outlier.

You sure? The next week against Missouri Taylor was 6/8 for 115 yards and a touchdown before he got hurt. Seemed to be on fire in that game too.

And you can't say Missouri's defense was horrible, they held Landry Jones in check the week before the Nebraska game.

• Fire 1

That's 6/9, but to be completely fair, Taylor was hot and cold that game. We got some long completions to a TE or two, and then Taylor fell off a bit. Took some real unnecessary sacks in the 2nd quarter. I'd have to watch that game again.

He threw an incomplete pass out of bounds after the injury. Before the injury he was 6/8.

His shoulders are squared, his head is leveled more than last year and his back arm as is more zeroed. So there is improvement. Now if he bends his front elbow in and straightens his spine (assuming he also raises his back throwing elbow with the spine) his throwing motion would be far better but I have a much bigger issue with the way he carries the ball than the way he throws it.

ncf_u_taylormartinez_cmg_300.jpg

That crap has to stop.

You know all this talk about T-marts passing is a bit misplaced.

Passing is a two part thing, you need someone to pass the ball and someone to catch the ball. No matter what Taylor's throwing motion is or his high school stats, it means nothing if we don't have receivers that can catch the ball. Just remember that when Taylor throws the ball.

No QB expert and I don't pretend to be, but just from that picture it looks like he is throwing like a little kid does when they try to throw the ball as far as they can (which maybe he is doing) with the way he is leaning his body back when he pulls his arm back and putting his left arm out to help "pull" him forward into his throw.

Well when you throw the ball, transferring your weight from your back foot to your front foot is what gives you power. Just like when a pitcher lifts up his front leg, all his weight is on his back, then when he throws, he transfers all his weight to his front foot, that's where his power comes from. He's just in his wind-up. I'm sure if they took a picture after he threw the ball, his weight would probably be on his front foot.