Taylor Throwing Motion

Martinez set a Nebraska freshman record with 323 yards passing, threw a career-high five touchdown passes and the 14th-ranked Cornhuskers knocked No. 17 Oklahoma State from the ranks of the unbeaten with a 51-41 win on Saturday.

If the results are like that with any consistency, he can under hand toss for all I care.

Oklahoma State would be the worst defensive team in the big 10

Regardless of anything, Taylor was on fire that game. Made a lot of good throws. Look at the highlights, it's not the type of throw Taylor is supposed to hit with consistency. He even led a receiver properly on a slant or drag or something, which is something he almost never did last year.

Throwing motion is overrated.

Am I missing the sarcasm here, or was this serious?

I think he's trying to make the point that someone else stated. Martinez isn't a traditional passer. He needs to get it to his targets. He can throw it between his legs if it gets the ball there. So if his passing got worse with a "better" throwing motion, then it's overrated. *shrug*

Throwing motion is overrated.

Am I missing the sarcasm here, or was this serious?

I think he was serious. I don't agree.

I am dead serious. Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton all had horrible throwing motions. They also won national titles 3 of the last 6 years. Scott Frost, Tommie Frazier, and Eric Crouch also had bad to awkward throwing motions. They seemed to do OK.

As long as it doesn't take forever to develop (like Tebow's), there's really nothing wrong with an awkward throwing motion in college football. Even Tebow had success as a passer with a horribly slow throwing motion. Taylor's throwing motion is considerably more efficient than Tebow's. I'm much more concerned about where the ball ends up than how it looks when he throws it.

Martinez set a Nebraska freshman record with 323 yards passing, threw a career-high five touchdown passes and the 14th-ranked Cornhuskers knocked No. 17 Oklahoma State from the ranks of the unbeaten with a 51-41 win on Saturday.

If the results are like that with any consistency, he can under hand toss for all I care.

No offense, but not a very good example to cite. Only 5 teams had a worse pass D that Okie Lite.

Don't know why this always gets brought up. Every other QB at Nebraska has played crappy pass defenses too, and very few of them had a game that impressive. That was a great game by Martinez - he basically won the game single-handedly, and redshirt freshmen aren't supposed to do that against any kind of BCS competition. Everybody knows he needs to improve along with everybody else on the team, but if you can't at least see his potential through his performance in that game, you must just be a depressingly pessimistic fan.

No, I am realistic. OP cited the OSU game (I'm guessing) as an example why his throwing motion doesn't matter. You said, "If the results are like that with any consistency, he can under hand toss for all I care.", but we will consistently play defenses that are far better than OSU. He had HALF of his TD passes on the season in that one game. You don't think that's a bad example?

Statistical outlier.

Ok so I was watching highlights of the first few games from last year and Taylors throwing motion was quite a bit different. His delivery was more of a Tebow type. However, he was a hell of a lot more accurate and seemed to have more velocity on his passes. Then starting about the Washington game he appeared to migrate toward what his delivery looks like now which is incredibly awkward. Why the change? I know he was a good passer in high school and even the first 4 games or so last year he was pretty decent. Did Watson change his motion to what it is now? If so, why the hell did he change it to how it is now? He's never going to be a NFL QB so why not just let him throw it the way he's comfortable?

Back to the original topic...the "traditional" throwing motion is the standard because it's accurate, compact, and efficient. If they had him change the motion, it's because they thought it would improve him as a passer in the long run, something that Martinez needs.

I am dead serious. Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton all had horrible throwing motions. They also won national titles 3 of the last 6 years. Scott Frost, Tommie Frazier, and Eric Crouch also had bad to awkward throwing motions. They seemed to do OK.

Cam Newton didn't need to completely overhaul his motion. Yes, he does/did have mechanical issues such as keeping his elbow high on the beginning of his throw and dropping his arm straight down after release. But the difference in those mechanical flaws is those are small things that can be fixed through repetition and something that doesn't need a completely overhaul to his throwing motion.

In Taylor's case, his biggest issue is repeating those same mechanics over and over. Because of his mechanical faults, Taylor has a bad habit of throwing to the spot where his WR is, rather than where his WR is going to be.

A bad (or good) example that I can remember was in the Texas game. Niles was coming on a crossing route, wide open, absolutely no rush and Taylor throws the ball way behind a wide open Niles. If Taylor even lollipops this throw in, Niles has a great chance to pick up some serious yardage.

*28:30 mark in the vid ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISxz9gedhNI

There are so many instances on the year where even when Taylor DID complete a throw, because of a throw being behind a receiver, or forcing a receiver to stop on a route, it ended up costing our offense so many extra yards.

Dissecting Taylor's motion would be like trying to give a description of a man with a suitcase of disguises. In so many throws, he rarely ever repeats his mechanics.

In the above throw, separation of his feet, no proper weight distribution in those feet, throwing across his body, no torque from the hips, throwing only with his upper body .. need I go on?

Don't get me wrong - people can get by with horrid throwing mechanics. But for every one of those guys you tell me that can succeed with bad mechanics by just being a great athlete, you can name off 50 who did not succeed.

Exception. Rule.

But here's the thing . . . all other things being equal a proper throwing motion increases accuracy and efficiency. Saying that you don't care about it is kind of like saying that you want a really fast car but don't care about the engine. The parts contribute to the whole.

What's a "proper" throwing motion? It's generally understood that you want to have a quick release in the NFL because a slow developing throwing motion can get you in trouble with NFL secondaries. Which is why Tebow's throwing motion was scrutinized by scouts. Not because it decreased his accuracy. Tebow has always thrown that way, that's what he's most comfortable with, so that's obviously how he's going to be most accurate. A more accurate analogy would be wanting a really fast car and not really caring about the color.

In the above throw, separation of his feet, no proper weight distribution in those feet, throwing across his body, no torque from the hips, throwing only with his upper body .. need I go on?

That has more to do with footwork than throwing motion. Which is something that is a big issue with Taylor. Even if he sets his feet properly he's still going to have the same awkward looking throwing motion, i.e. cocking his head back which gives him the appearance of a shot putter.