Tmart said a dumb thing

WYHusk

What he meant is that winning the MNC is the ultimate goal, and if they do it, that will have meant all the other pieces (like the division championship and conference championship) will have fallen into place.

Martinez is still, without question, a work in progress with the media. Listening to his interview today, it sounded like someone who just kept repeating himself and didn't really know how to say everything, or finish what he was saying.

If what a kid says in an interview doesn't make sense to you, you should try sitting in front of dozens of reporters and video cameras and get hammered with questions, all the while concentrating on not saying something you shouldn't or giving away information you're not supposed to.

Back when we were experiencing "Life in the Big-8", Winning the conference usually meant we were going to play for the MNC..But imagine my dissapointment when the last coach would "laugh off" a loss by stating that the main goal of a division championship was still in reach.

I know we should be careful how we show respect for our new conference, but when has the winner of the Big-10 ever really been that respected? Or gone on to win the MNC? (I know someone will look it up).

Just win, baby!

Okay, I like Tmart and all but this is a stupid thing to say on many levels:

"I think as a team right now we're not really striving for a Big Ten championship, we're striving for a national championship," Martinez said. "If we accomplish the national championship, everything else will fall into place."

Besides the locker room fodder and the setting of ridiculously high expectations, I want to know - what else can possibly fall in place, AFTER you win the natl title? That doesn't even make sense. Like, he will find himself fulfilled as a human being, or what?

I guess how you come down on this depends on how big a Kool-Aid drinker you are. After last year, I am going to refrain from imbibing. The last couple seasons have cost me too many years of my life.

At first I thought you were crazy coming to the conclusion "I want to know - what else can possibly fall in place, AFTER you win the natl title?" Then I read what Tmart said again and particularly this: "If we accomplish the national championship, everything else will fall into place." then I can see why you did.

The reason why I thought you were crazy was because I translated the quote into "Going for the national championship, everything else will fall into place." Meaning we play every game with a National Championship caliber we need not worry about a B1G championship. It will fall into place for us. Or you can say: Instead of making it a goal to win a conference we will set our goal higher. Doing so will drive us to push harder than we ever have in each and every game. With each successful play, quarter, half, and win will stack upon each other to strengthen the belief, faith, and confidence necessary to get to that NC game.

I though to myself why my brain mixed up the "If we accomplish" with "Going for." Then I realized that the second quote, "Going for the national championship, everything else will fall into place", is actually the quote I first read in multiple publications. Actually, both quotes have been published in multiple publications. Here is an example from the BTN: http://bigtennetwork.stats.com/cfb/story.asp?i=20110829151418632863108

I am not sure which is correct.

I think rather most people are focusing on one half of the premise in the OP.

Besides the locker room fodder and the setting of ridiculously high expectations,

There is nothing wrong and everything right with what Taylor said in this regard. These should be the expectations every year. And there is no locker room fodder to be found here.

I want to know - what else can possibly fall in place, AFTER you win the natl title? That doesn't even make sense.

And here's the part where you would have to be really grasping for things over which to criticize Taylor.

Besides the locker room fodder and the setting of ridiculously high expectations,

There is nothing wrong and everything right with what Taylor said in this regard. These should be the expectations every year. And there is no locker room fodder to be found here.

I want to know - what else can possibly fall in place, AFTER you win the natl title? That doesn't even make sense.

And here's the part where you would have to be really grasping for things over which to criticize Taylor.

k

I should totally have left out the 2nd part. When we put up 76 on Chatanoogie this weekend, I'm sure I"ll be drinking the kool-aid right there with you.

Still, I think you can point out that your starting QB said a dumb thing, which is really all I was saying, and I meant it mostly tongue-in-cheek, without being declared an Enemy of the Husker State. Sheesh. Some of you people seriously need to lighten up.

The flip side of that coin is "some of you people seriously need to think what you're saying before you post it."

At least Martinez has the excuse that he's on the spot without a chance to think through the answers to the questions he's asked. A guy on a message board has all the time in the world to stop, think what he means, write it out correctly and make sure it's clear if something is meant tongue-in-cheek before they hit "Post New Topic."

If only you had exercised the same restraint you expect from Martinez, you wouldn't have gotten all this grief.

Do you understand now why what he said isn't so bad, or has the lesson of this thread not sunk in yet?

• Fire 1

k

I should totally have left out the 2nd part. When we put up 76 on Chatanoogie this weekend, I'm sure I"ll be drinking the kool-aid right there with you.

Still, I think you can point out that your starting QB said a dumb thing, which is really all I was saying, and I meant it mostly tongue-in-cheek, without being declared an Enemy of the Husker State. Sheesh. Some of you people seriously need to lighten up.

No worries man, not bagging on you. I am the biggest Taylor hater around. :cheers For months on end, every single day I come on here to tear down Taylor's character in every way I can think of, and in the most vicious manner conceivable. Just ask bshirt. ;) Ahen I've run out of ideas, I go to kchusker and we brainstorm new ways to bash on TMag.

I just don't really get that this a dumb thing to say. He doesn't put it perfectly, but I think we all know what he means. Even the most well spoken people don't always put things perfectly during interviews. Not to worry though, like I said earlier, Taylor has had his share of dumb things said, so I can see where you are coming from. But this one, I don't really see.