Kansas and K-State aren't chained together

VectorVictor

Per AP Twitter Post...

And a SB Nation article...

As the Big 12 disintegrates, it's time to at least consider what could happen to the conference's remaining schools besides Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri, each of whom holds cards ranging from ALL OF THE CARDS to possible SEC interest maybe. What about Kansas and Kansas State?

It's been assumed for a while that the two schools are required to remain in the same conference by state law or some such, but that's actually not the case, as they've been saying for a while now. Kansas chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little emphasized that arrangement again Thursday.

If the two did split up, it would likely be better for Kansas. Neither can offer much of a historic football program, but KU at least fields a top basketball program, which could serve as a fine marketing program for some conference's football season! Plus it's closer to major TV market Kansas City.

The Big East and maybe ACC are probably the only major conferences who'd consider Kansas, and that right there is just total speculation on my part. Still, it's worth noting that the two rivals could theoretically split.

Very interesting...wasn't sure if the two were tied together, guess the KU chancellor is going to do their own thing.

While the article says Big East and ACC only, a lone, unshackled Kansas would be a prime Big 10 expansion target if they go to fourteen schools, and would be perfect to combine with, say, a Rutgers or Maryland (for TV market expansion).

Plus, it will give us our annual migration game back. :)

Watching the Big 12 self-destruct is so much fun!

The more I read, the better it gets. Nebraska was the first domino to fall...which leads us to this year. It seems that the departure of A&M truly is setting off a true sh**storm in the conference. None of this would have happened if UNL and CU don't leave last year.

Per AP Twitter Post...

And a SB Nation article...

As the Big 12 disintegrates, it's time to at least consider what could happen to the conference's remaining schools besides Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri, each of whom holds cards ranging from ALL OF THE CARDS to possible SEC interest maybe. What about Kansas and Kansas State?

It's been assumed for a while that the two schools are required to remain in the same conference by state law or some such, but that's actually not the case, as they've been saying for a while now. Kansas chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little emphasized that arrangement again Thursday.

If the two did split up, it would likely be better for Kansas. Neither can offer much of a historic football program, but KU at least fields a top basketball program, which could serve as a fine marketing program for some conference's football season! Plus it's closer to major TV market Kansas City.

The Big East and maybe ACC are probably the only major conferences who'd consider Kansas, and that right there is just total speculation on my part. Still, it's worth noting that the two rivals could theoretically split.

Very interesting...wasn't sure if the two were tied together, guess the KU chancellor is going to do their own thing.

While the article says Big East and ACC only, a lone, unshackled Kansas would be a prime Big 10 expansion target if they go to fourteen schools, and would be perfect to combine with, say, a Rutgers or Maryland (for TV market expansion).

Plus, it will give us our annual migration game back. :)

Kansas will be going to the Big East

Just what I'm hearing

I personally take a lot of pleasure from seeing K-State wither on the vine. I have never had much respect for their fans, for the most part. (Which seemed to be more than reciprocated from the vast majority of Power Towel fans towards us.)

Likewise. I WOULD feel sorry for them, but my GOD, they have been so delusional through this whole process. They really think Texas will look out for their best interests and "what's all this fuss, we'll be fine". The denial is strong with that one. I'm guessing they feel that since Dodds is a KSU grad, there'd be no way he'd leave them out of anything, coupled with thinking they are handcuffed to KU.

DOOOOODS, wake up and read the writing on the wall.

Don't see why the B1G would take Kansas unless the SEC took Missouri and they were looking to take some of the KC market.

Because Big 10 footprint already covers Missouri (via St. Louis), so adding Missouri doesn't really bring anything but the KC market into play.

Kansas can do the same thing *and* bring in a top-flight basketball program to boot. Academics are on-par with Missouri, and Kansas technically has had better results than Missouri--Kansas has at least been to a BCS bowl, whereas Missouri has not. While Kansas sucks at football, their bread and butter (and moneymaking ability) lies with Basketball.

---

And kc_husker, yes, it's common knowledge the Big East and Kansas have been talking since the summer of 2010. But I would be sure that this news (if Delaney already didn't know) puts Kansas on the B1G's radar, at the very least.

And if the Big 10 stops to say 'hi' to Kansas, do you honestly think they won't open the door?

It would have been worse if NU didn't leave. No way we would be as silent as everyone else about Texas and the LHN.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but didn't Dr. Tom have a beef with it up front, and wanted a Big 12 network instead (like the B1G has)? Or have I been reading too many msg boards?

We originally were looking at doing our own network, but the costs were too prohibitive and (per recent LJS articles) it likely wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

Texas would have found similar issues, but thanks to their fairy godmother in Bristol, they don't have to worry about one cent of start-up costs.

I personally take a lot of pleasure from seeing K-State wither on the vine. I have never had much respect for their fans, for the most part. (Which seemed to be more than reciprocated from the vast majority of Power Towel fans towards us.)

I have heard and read on message boards many crazy K-St fans actually say they would be picked up by the SEC. And I quote, "They would be crazy not to pick up a powerhouse athletic program like ours."

I have heard and read on message boards many crazy K-St fans actually say they would be picked up by the SEC. And I quote, "They would be crazy not to pick up a powerhouse athletic program like ours."

Why not...the Power Towel is a mighty thing.