Sporting News names 1971 Nebraska greatest CFB team of all time

Nexus

1995 Nebraska team vs 1991 Washington team would be an amazing matchup

I just did a spit take, and I wasn't even drinking anything!

? the 1991 Washington team came into Lincoln and destroyed Nebraska that year. Don't act like it wouldn't be a good game.

It would've been a great game. I always enjoy going to the bar at halftime when the Huskers are up by 4 TD's.

? the 1991 Washington team came into Lincoln and destroyed Nebraska that year. Don't act like it wouldn't be a good game.

It wouldnt be a good game. You only beat #8 cal by a td, meanwhile 95 nebraska beat #8 kansas state by 24. 95 Nebrask NEVER had a close game. You only put up 14 points against an unranked USC team, meanwhile our lowest scoring game was when we scored 35. Oh Miami beat us 22-0 in 91, which is worse beatdown than what washington gave us.

Um, you won by 15 and we were up going into the 4th. I don't think that constitutes as destroying a team. And our 1995 team was lightyears ahead of our 1991 team.

15 point win isn't exactly destroying another team. Besides, the "U" shut us out that year in our bowl game. And we tied Colorado. We finished ranked 15th. It's not like we were the best team that year... You guys only had to play 3 ranked teams that year and beat them by an average of 14 points. We played 4 top ten teams and beat them by an average of 30. You had a great team that year, but not compared to our 95 team. Nice try though.

15 point win isn't exactly destroying another team. Besides, the "U" shut us out that year in our bowl game. And we tied Colorado. We finished ranked 15th. It's not like we were the best team that year... You guys only had to play 3 ranked teams that year and beat them by an average of 14 points. We played 4 top ten teams and beat them by an average of 30. You had a great team that year, but not compared to our 95 team. Nice try though.

Well I agree with you that your 95 team was no doubt a juggernaut on offense, definitely better than the 91 Huskies offense... no denying that. I would just love to see how they would play against that 91 UDub defense... Emtman was a monster.

Well I agree with you that your 95 team was no doubt a juggernaut on offense, definitely better than the 91 Huskies offense... no denying that. I would just love to see how they would play against that 91 UDub defense... Emtman was a monster.

The thing is, I would take our 1995 defense over any others we've had since 1990, and that includes 1999 and 2009. We were great up front and a solid linebacking cores and our secondary was probably the best in the nation that year. All 4 of our starters were drafted. I just don't think anyone played as hard as they did. They wouldn't let anyone beat them.

The 1994 offense, which wasn't as good as the 1995 offense, beat Miami in Miami, and that Miami defense had Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis. 95 Nebraska would have destroyed 91 Washington.

The 95 team would have obliterated the 91 Husky team, and I mean in every sense of the word.

It would have been close through the first two quarters, and then, the same thing that happened to Florida (who had a waaayyyy better offense than the 91 Huskies ever could've dreamed of) would have happened to the Huskies. It would have been us, 50 or 60 something, to your 20 or so points. Now if we simulated that game 40 of 50 times, you'd win a couple because the majority of our team contracted malaria or something.

Yeah. They destroyed the '91 Huskers. Not the '95 Huskers.

As far as the '71 vs. '95 debate: I'm just glad that the debate's between two Husker squads. I never got to see the '71 team play, so my bias would naturally be toward the '95 team, but obviously both of them were great in their own right.

I trhink 95 Huskers would have destroyed the 71 squad. Put those teams on the field as they were at the peak of there season's and it's no contest. That 95 D would break Johnny Rodgers legs like they were toothpicks with the hits they put on folks.

With much better health/training facilities available to the '95 Huskers, that's what I'd expect.

That's part of why comparing the '71 Huskers and '95 Huskers directly to each other is apples/oranges. To me, it only makes sense to compare the teams to other teams of that era. When you do that, it's a bit of a crapshoot. Both of them beat some very impressive teams.

• 2 weeks later...