Freshman Speed

hskerprid

Can someone explain why we don't have hardly any 2 back sets? You would think with all of the speed with Abdullah, Green & Martinez we would use some pro sets with all three in the backfield or at least some wing back formations. Then you have Turner on the outside to stretch the defense.

Rex is good but he has little outside speed. I would think that running some of the aforementioned formations would put alot of stress on the defense. :dunno

I'm gonna assume that the lack of running with Rex and our promising RB's is the lack of confidence in the coaching staff that the OL can block and open up any holes. Fresno St. seemed to be the one with the power running game, opening up holes and shoving it down our throat. They softened up the middle with some dart throwing to receivers who caught the ball. Our rush from the outside opened up some massive holes leaving only LaVonte to tackle the runner after 8 yards.

I loved how Fresno St. played their game. Obviously, we saw our superior athlete take the cake with some big plays today ... but the pure "bread and butter" of power football was that of Fresno St. ... we didn't even sniff it. We only went to Rex in the last drive to control the ball ... and did just fine. But outside of his two TD runs he didn't sniff leather at all. Actually kinda left me bewildered a bit. The Husker football I love ... I didn't really get to see last night.

I'm gonna assume that the lack of running with Rex and our promising RB's is the lack of confidence in the coaching staff that the OL can block and open up any holes. Fresno St. seemed to be the one with the power running game, opening up holes and shoving it down our throat. They softened up the middle with some dart throwing to receivers who caught the ball. Our rush from the outside opened up some massive holes leaving only LaVonte to tackle the runner after 8 yards.

I loved how Fresno St. played their game. Obviously, we saw our superior athlete take the cake with some big plays today ... but the pure "bread and butter" of power football was that of Fresno St. ... we didn't even sniff it. We only went to Rex in the last drive to control the ball ... and did just fine. But outside of his two TD runs he didn't sniff leather at all. Actually kinda left me bewildered a bit. The Husker football I love ... I didn't really get to see last night.

It seeems to me that we did this last year..we focused so much on big plays and when we finally just needed to grind out drives 3-4 yards at a time..we would do it..leaving us all thinking WTF? why not do that more.maybe the big play thing softens up the d, mayber it works late in the game when the other team is tired, but it seems we have the old offense in there somewhere and we just dont use it until late in the game.

Can someone explain why we don't have hardly any 2 back sets? You would think with all of the speed with Abdullah, Green & Martinez we would use some pro sets with all three in the backfield or at least some wing back formations. Then you have Turner on the outside to stretch the defense.

Rex is good but he has little outside speed. I would think that running some of the aforementioned formations would put alot of stress on the defense. :dunno

We don't run two back sets often because we are not stacked on the offensive line. Right now they are quite average. We can't line up and bully people. At least not yet.

I'm also going to assume we'll open it up more in conference. This is not a NT team so the B1G crown is our goal. I was happy to see the screen to turner. Hopefully Beck has a plethora of plays to run out of that stacked set. Then he could fake the screen to turner or toss it over to him and let him throw it (that HAS TO be in the playbook).

Beck's a smart guy. We've got a homerun threat QB. 3 solid big play tailbacks and a veteran between the tackles guy in Rex, a tight end that can stretch the field in Reed, a burner/qb in turner and enunwa is looking like a dependable reciever. We have a lot of weapons. I fully expect to see Beck open it up very soon. We have mismatch advantages all over the field with our skill positions.