My take on our first two games

EZ-E

In the first two games, you saw a bunch of sets that you will never see again. I truely do believe that. Bo LOVES to keep his cards close to his chest only revealing what he absolutely has to. You saw a very vanilla offense and defense the first two games because Bo banked on us being able to win the game on us being just flat out better ball players than them. While I am not claiming Fresno is going to win any championships anytime soon, they surely are no stranger to playing in atmospheres like last night.

What you saw in the first four or so drives in the 2nd half is what we have been hiding from the nation. I do believe the coaches learned a very valuable lesson and that is: NO MATTER WHO YOU PLAY YOU RUN YOUR OFFENSE AND DEFENSE. It was very encouraging the type of offense that Tim Beck has mapped out. I really hope we see that through four quarters of football against Washington.

Cheers boys.

In the first two games, you saw a bunch of sets that you will never see again. I truely do believe that. Bo LOVES to keep his cards close to his chest only revealing what he absolutely has to. You saw a very vanilla offense and defense the first two games because Bo banked on us being able to win the game on us being just flat out better ball players than them. While I am not claiming Fresno is going to win any championships anytime soon, they surely are no stranger to playing in atmospheres like last night.

What you saw in the first four or so drives in the 2nd half is what we have been hiding from the nation. I do believe the coaches learned a very valuable lesson and that is: NO MATTER WHO YOU PLAY YOU RUN YOUR OFFENSE AND DEFENSE. It was very encouraging the type of offense that Tim Beck has mapped out. I really hope we see that through four quarters of football against Washington.

Cheers boys.

That doesn't explain why our O-Lines and D-Lines are getting pushed around by FCS and WAC teams.

• Fire 3

Cheers boys.

i have never been a believer in us holding back, especially the last game. what Beck is doing is stretching the field with Turner and running some dive plays....WU defense will be prepared to stop TM and the run option...we should have a compliment of other plays to offset that, assuming we can execute them....and Kinnie needs to ride the pine for a game or two.

Cheers boys.

That doesn't explain why our O-Lines and D-Lines are getting pushed around by FCS and WAC teams.

true, the kids need to play with some 'tude.

Cheers boys.

I doubt we blitzed more than a handful of times. Matt Davidson was spot on when he said that Fresno was in max protect the whole game and always rolled the pocket with Carr. Our DTs were doubled the whole game. Suh isn't walking through those doors. Not many college DTs can take on double teams. If you look to the second half, there weren't many plays that I can recall that our OL got pushed around. Into the fourth quarter and when Rex was carrying the load for us, I would say that we were running at them with our OL pretty good. My issue with it is we have been running plays for a game and a half that we will never run during the regular season. Our offense needs to start getting reps in the plays we will actually run. This could be one of the reasons that it does not seem we can ever get comfortable up front on the OL.

Notice the flow in the 2nd half when we started running the offense that we had practiced all through the winter, spring, and summer?

Cheers boys.

Ka-chow.

Cheers boys.

i have never been a believer in us holding back, especially the last game. what Beck is doing is stretching the field with Turner and running some dive plays....WU defense will be prepared to stop TM and the run option...we should have a compliment of other plays to offset that, assuming we can execute them....and Kinnie needs to ride the pine for a game or two.

I completely agree with this statement above. When we started going from the pistol and running Rex up the gut it really opened up that option play. Turner and Bell need to touch the ball more and Kinnie needs to figure it out or get out of the way. Some of the throws in the first drive of the second half from TMart looked very encouraging. He threw mostly catchable balls from that point forward. Kinnie NEEDS to catch that ball to convert that 3rd down play.

I doubt we blitzed more than a handful of times. Matt Davidson was spot on when he said that Fresno was in max protect the whole game and always rolled the pocket with Carr. Our DTs were doubled the whole game. Suh isn't walking through those doors. Not many college DTs can take on double teams. If you look to the second half, there weren't many plays that I can recall that our OL got pushed around. Into the fourth quarter and when Rex was carrying the load for us, I would say that we were running at them with our OL pretty good. My issue with it is we have been running plays for a game and a half that we will never run during the regular season. Our offense needs to start getting reps in the plays we will actually run. This could be one of the reasons that it does not seem we can ever get comfortable up front on the OL.

Notice the flow in the 2nd half when we started running the offense that we had practiced all through the winter, spring, and summer?

I'm with you on this one EZ. It certainly does make sense that once we had to run the offense we wanted to see we ran it pretty well. I don't think Bo wanted to let the offense roll like that until we had to. More or less we were just trying to execute the smaller plays better (which I can honestly say we didn't). But I loved the improvement I saw from 1st to 2nd half on offense.

Also notice how even though Fresno State moved the ball on us, the only TD they got in the second half was from a nice catch off a nice pass, something I wouldn't be too ashamed of giving up.

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch the game or listen to much more than 3 or 4 mintues every half as I was committed to an event. I came home to watch and the wife had killed the DVR so....it sounds like I will be saved the stress. That being said...to me it sounds like the D-line greatly underperformed. I know several people I respect that have a good pulse on the program are very concerned. Its just as I had stated this summer...we're not as good there as we think. I personally think moving to a 3 lb system will hurt us this year. We were very efficient as a defense when we put in the peso a year ago and when we run it in practice we are very good still as the personnel groupings seem to be better. I hope we run it more in the future.

I know the offense was frustrating at times. I did hear a snip it from one coach that this week was similar to last week in that they decided to work on some things they've had continual issues with at times during the game rather than always call it based on what the defense was giving us. That makes me uncomfortable that we make decisions like that.

Thing is: we're trying to run the peso with Blatchford and he is terrible at doing it.

We can't get Fonzie back soon enough. I really think that will help us out a ton. I also have faith that Bo will get that side of the ball playing well come Whisky.

No doubt in my mind he will. I've been saying it before: I would rather have our defense be the unit giving us problems in these non con games because I know it will be fixed come next week.

The BTN announcers had it totally right when they said we had no idea what was coming. My buddy made a comment that Fresno is like a scout team offense. They can look at one playbook and put in those plays in a week and run a different offense every single week. All you saw was them rolling the pocket to take the pressure off Carr and max protecting with all that they had.

Let's not forget to give credit to Fresno, they will win games in the WAC.