My take on our first two games

EZ-E

EZ thanks for posting some encouragement. Its nice for someone to see some positives. I was happy with Beck and the offense in the second half, i noticed he changed his play calling a bit as the game went on and adjusted well... and thats a good sign. It was good for our young guys to have a game like this...you could see the guys growing up as the game went on.

The offense seems to be taking on the demeanor of the head coach. They really stepped up and punched them in the mouth when they needed to ice the game, and i was happy to see this.

I think we are saving quite a bit for confrence games, most notably the three freshman backs. I think (and hope) we have some nice little screens and swing passes for our freshman out of the diamond and some reverses and bubble screens for JT. It seems Beck atleast has the ability to recongnize the plays that need to be called to exploit the defenses weaknesses. I truely beleive he is in practice the plays mode, to get a feel of what this team can do well. We hardly ran any option this game, and when we did Rex shoved it up the middle 5 or 6 times in a row which opened up the outside. What a beautiful play call to ice the game. When Beck needed to, he called plays that exploited the defense and what they were doing to stack the box, so that was encouraging, and im starting to believe in Beck.

As far as the D goes, it seems every year we are questioning the Defense the first few games. I think we should almost come to expect this from Bos defenses. We always give up big yards in non con. Mostly because of a vanilla base defense, and Bos philosophy on not showing your cards. It happens every year and every year everyone on HB freaks out, then about the 5th or 6th game the Defense comes out of no where and just plain dominates. I think its mostly game planning, no different then an offense game plan. When we played Mizzou last year we had a flawless game plan by one of the most brillant minds in college football. It will be no different when we play Wisky. The D will be ready to play and our offense will surprise everyone. I think its going to be alot like last years mizzou game in score and performance. We will drop a few games this year (OSU and NW)but we will build a solid foundation on offense that we can all look forward to in the future.

We will be fine...with that said im no longer looking for Wisky tickets and cancled my hotel rooms, just too much uncertaintly and the game is way over hyped. Even thou i think we show up and play well, tickets are just getting ridiculous, and im already going the OSU game. That is all.

• Fire 1

EZ thanks for posting some encouragement. Its nice for someone to see some positives. I was happy with Beck and the offense in the second half, i noticed he changed his play calling a bit as the game went on and adjusted well... and thats a good sign. It was good for our young guys to have a game like this...you could see the guys growing up as the game went on.

The offense seems to be taking on the demeanor of the head coach. They really stepped up and punched them in the mouth when they needed to ice the game, and i was happy to see this.

I think we are saving quite a bit for confrence games, most notably the three freshman backs. I think (and hope) we have some nice little screens and swing passes for our freshman out of the diamond and some reverses and bubble screens for JT. It seems Beck atleast has the ability to recongnize the plays that need to be called to exploit the defenses weaknesses. I truely beleive he is in practice the plays mode, to get a feel of what this team can do well. We hardly ran any option this game, and when we did Rex shoved it up the middle 5 or 6 times in a row which opened up the outside. What a beautiful play call to ice the game. When Beck needed to, he called plays that exploited the defense and what they were doing to stack the box, so that was encouraging, and im starting to believe in Beck.

As far as the D goes, it seems every year we are questioning the Defense the first few games. I think we should almost come to expect this from Bos defenses. We always give up big yards in non con. Mostly because of a vanilla base defense, and Bos philosophy on not showing your cards. It happens every year and every year everyone on HB freaks out, then about the 5th or 6th game the Defense comes out of no where and just plain dominates. I think its mostly game planning, no different then an offense game plan. When we played Mizzou last year we had a flawless game plan by one of the most brillant minds in college football. It will be no different when we play Wisky. The D will be ready to play and our offense will surprise everyone. I think its going to be alot like last years mizzou game in score and performance. We will drop a few games this year (OSU and NW)but we will build a solid foundation on offense that we can all look forward to in the future.

We will be fine...with that said im no longer looking for Wisky tickets and cancled my hotel rooms, just too much uncertaintly and the game is way over hyped. Even thou i think we show up and play well, tickets are just getting ridiculous, and im already going the OSU game. That is all.

Good post man. What I have been saying to my friends is that it seems that we have started playing our best football earlier and earlier each year of Bo's tenure. In '09 it was the OU game, last year it was the Okie State game, this year hopefully it is the start of conference play. Football teams do not peak at the first game.

These Freshman are very encouraging to watch. Bo has done an excellent job on the trail and has redshirted guys appropriately.

What I saw last night was a team that took a good half or so to adjust to game speed against a good opponent, as you normally see in a first game (this was the 1st game, dont kid yourself. Chatt was a glorified scout team) We saw both sides of the ball looking a bit more sharp as the 2nd half progressed. This process is esp going to take longer for the youth on the oline.

In the first two games, you saw a bunch of sets that you will never see again. I truely do believe that. Bo LOVES to keep his cards close to his chest only revealing what he absolutely has to. You saw a very vanilla offense and defense the first two games because Bo banked on us being able to win the game on us being just flat out better ball players than them. While I am not claiming Fresno is going to win any championships anytime soon, they surely are no stranger to playing in atmospheres like last night.

What you saw in the first four or so drives in the 2nd half is what we have been hiding from the nation. I do believe the coaches learned a very valuable lesson and that is: NO MATTER WHO YOU PLAY YOU RUN YOUR OFFENSE AND DEFENSE. It was very encouraging the type of offense that Tim Beck has mapped out. I really hope we see that through four quarters of football against Washington.

Cheers boys.

That doesn't explain why our O-Lines and D-Lines are getting pushed around by FCS and WAC teams.

Exactly right. Play calling does not matter when the offensive line can't block. Also, not sure I want to see more blitzing when our secondary can barely cover WAC/DivII teams with the linebackers helping out.

Thing is: we're trying to run the peso with Blatchford and he is terrible at doing it.

Since I didn't get to see the game what percentage were we running our dime defense with the two LB sets verses our new base with the 3 LB sets?

Whatever set we were in, I'll never understand why Blatchford continuously wound up matched up against their supposed fastest guy in school history, the Wiley fella. time and time again. I'm sorry but Blatchford has no where near the athletic skill to hang with that guy and it showed. Maybe it was some baptism under fire, but it was a bad matchup all night.

One thing I cannot comprehend is why––assuming it's true––we would be 'saving' our offense for conference foes. With a new coordinator and a youthful team, it seems to be the height of stupidity to wait for the big boys to start running what you plan to run. Run the offense game one. You need the practice. Work on some specific areas if you get up, yes, but like Bo said in the post-game presser, we were a play or two away from that game seriously going the other direction. We can pat each other on the back for the second half all we want, but holy god, the score did not reflect how fast that could have turned south.

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch the game or listen to much more than 3 or 4 mintues every half as I was committed to an event. I came home to watch and the wife had killed the DVR so....it sounds like I will be saved the stress. That being said...to me it sounds like the D-line greatly underperformed. I know several people I respect that have a good pulse on the program are very concerned. Its just as I had stated this summer...we're not as good there as we think. I personally think moving to a 3 lb system will hurt us this year. We were very efficient as a defense when we put in the peso a year ago and when we run it in practice we are very good still as the personnel groupings seem to be better. I hope we run it more in the future.

I know the offense was frustrating at times. I did hear a snip it from one coach that this week was similar to last week in that they decided to work on some things they've had continual issues with at times during the game rather than always call it based on what the defense was giving us. That makes me uncomfortable that we make decisions like that.

Woah, what? :o

On two levels. First, I completely agree that we shouldn't be doing that stuff in actual games. It is a mindset that does not seem to be typical of Bo, no matter who the opponent. Such as what you mentioned with the audibles and Taylor being told to just run the play so they could get it on tape. Screw that - these audibles are pretty new to Taylor, let him do it as much as he can, and let him get some confidence as they start working.

Second, I thought the hallmark of this new offense is that they weren't going to call it based on what the defense gave us.

Thing is: we're trying to run the peso with Blatchford and he is terrible at doing it.

Since I didn't get to see the game what percentage were we running our dime defense with the two LB sets verses our new base with the 3 LB sets?

Whatever set we were in, I'll never understand why Blatchford continuously wound up matched up against their supposed fastest guy in school history, the Wiley fella. time and time again. I'm sorry but Blatchford has no where near the athletic skill to hang with that guy and it showed. Maybe it was some baptism under fire, but it was a bad matchup all night.

I didn't get to see the entire game, but from what I saw Blatchford played way better than last week. I really only saw him give up one play to the Wiley kid and he tripped him up before he could do too much damage. Seemed like he played no worse than the DBs (which isn't saying much). But like I said, I didn't get to see the entire game and missed all his blown coverages.

Wow, what an excellent post! You're right, That is par for course with Bo's defense. I'm embarassed that I forgot that & feel better about things now. He'll right the ship soon.

Also agree Beck looked great in the 2nd half and as others have posted we would have lost this game the last two years.

as others have posted we would have lost this game the last two years.

:moreinteresting Standard :moreinteresting

The only non conference games that were lost in the last 3 years were to VA Tech. So yep you’re right the evidence is there to support your statement. <_<

As far as the Fresno Game goes, it would have been over a lot sooner if Martinez wouldn’t have brain-farted his way through the first half. Or if Compton, Fisher, Cassidy and Blatchford (sp) weren’t out of position and slow to react on pass plays. :facepalm:

Also I thought the dropped passes were a thing of the past once Gilmore was fired? Kinnie should have done less planking and talking to the media this off season and more pass catching drills. So far this season he has been thrown to 8 times and dropped 7 of those.

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch the game or listen to much more than 3 or 4 mintues every half as I was committed to an event. I came home to watch and the wife had killed the DVR so....it sounds like I will be saved the stress. That being said...to me it sounds like the D-line greatly underperformed. I know several people I respect that have a good pulse on the program are very concerned. Its just as I had stated this summer...we're not as good there as we think. I personally think moving to a 3 lb system will hurt us this year. We were very efficient as a defense when we put in the peso a year ago and when we run it in practice we are very good still as the personnel groupings seem to be better. I hope we run it more in the future.

I know the offense was frustrating at times. I did hear a snip it from one coach that this week was similar to last week in that they decided to work on some things they've had continual issues with at times during the game rather than always call it based on what the defense was giving us. That makes me uncomfortable that we make decisions like that.

Woah, what? :o

On two levels. First, I completely agree that we shouldn't be doing that stuff in actual games. It is a mindset that does not seem to be typical of Bo, no matter who the opponent. Such as what you mentioned with the audibles and Taylor being told to just run the play so they could get it on tape. Screw that - these audibles are pretty new to Taylor, let him do it as much as he can, and let him get some confidence as they start working.

Second, I thought the hallmark of this new offense is that they weren't going to call it based on what the defense gave us.

I don't know where that game from. This offense is specifically designed to create mismatched base on defensive schemes and personnel. We attack and then exploit once they try to adjust to those mismatches. If thats not taking what the defense gives us I don't know what is. If we were running a power I then we'd be trying to impose on the D but I don't think we can do that well enough. Talking with some people (I still haven't watched the game) I was told we ran 4 different types of option again with the most success out of the diamond sets and the veer sets. Our belly option apparently fell flat on its face again and is weak. Although he thought maybe as the season goes on we might get the full back involved in that set and it would help open it up, but right now...that's the one that gets shut down.

yada yada yada - it won't be long before we're blaming Kinnie's drops on some smoke-and-mirror game plan by Bo & Co.

"kinnie has dropped all of those passes on purpose because we want to utilize him extensively against Wisconsin, and want them to underestimate him going into the game - he'll have 190+ yrds on Oct 1st."

FACT: they sucked for the better part of that game. the were outplayed for the better part of the game. they were outcoached for the better part of that game. no excuses. no grand "scheme". do you think Taylor is overthrowing his receivers on purpose? the D letting the RB into the secondary on purpose? our special teams are sucking on purpose? Come on. There's issues here that can't be explained away by claiming some "vanilla" gameplan.

(and i'm saying this after 2 nanoseconds of the season - so take it w/ a grain of salt) :sarcasm