The O and sandbagging

benjibean1

So after re-watching the last two games on DVR. (Love the B1G, saved me 80 dollars so far). I completely believe that the O has been sandbagging it. For the first 3 halves of the game we were super vanilla and working on formations that we are weak with. Then we went to Halftime and what did we see when we came back out. The check with me O. Then things started to click with the passing game and what not. I believe that Beck was working on things we were bad at or needed work at because we were playing so called weaker opponents. He adjusted at half time and went to what they have been doing in practice and took the call away from Martinez. I believe we will bust out our true offense today and we will all like what we see a lot more. Now with that I do believe there will be some growing pains still...but we will look better.

However, one thing i will be watching for all year is TMart's growth in offense. I swear that dude keeps the ball more than he should. It is like Eric Crouch on Steroids when it comes to keeping it on the option. You have running backs with you out there....and look to more than one receiver dude. The check down is ok...instead of you running when the first guy is not open.

This is very encouraging. That's not to say our O-Line doesn't still need a lot of improvement if we're going to win a National Championship. It's kind of smart for Beck to work on their weakest spots with these easy teams, it's kind of smart for both offense and defense to substitute a lot of guys in and out of the game so that several guys get game experience and the coaches have a better idea of who is going to execute in live action. I have seen the offense get better from game 1 to game 2... the defense got worse, but I think it was a good thing they got worse... they were humbled, they have film to watch to learn how to get better (Fresno St showed a lot of different looks) so we will be better prepared going forward because of that last game. I really think today's game is going to tell us a lot more. We will see the good offensive plays today, we will see a defense that has put in a week of hard work and is in a state of humility right now, we will see a lot more of our best football. Hopefully that will translate into a big win, but if we make a lot of mistakes and it doesn't then I fully anticipate a long long season.

I swear that dude keeps the ball more than he should. It is like Eric Crouch on Steroids when it comes to keeping it on the option. You have running backs with you out there....and look to more than one receiver dude. The check down is ok...instead of you running when the first guy is not open.

His runs have been after the defender bites on the RB, He reads it and takes the lane which is the right decision, The defender has to make a choice, Either A: Pickup Tmart (He then pitches to the back). B: Pickup the back (Then Tmart just uses his speed to beat everybody else). There have been some good calls by beck and they have been played well.

As for the rest of the time (Other then designed QB runs) there's a problems. The o-line needs to give him time to find the open man or at least let the one hes locked onto get open, He has no time in the pocket, I don't blame him for taking off because I would too, if nothing is there then nothing is there simple as that, If the line isn't holding up there isn't any other choices.

He has made some good decisions (Some bad but thats bound to happen with a young offense). He's been going out of bounds instead of taking big hits, A couple times when he's rolled the pocket you can see him checking downfield trying to find an open man, He's limited his stupid choices to some extent (Not talking about the fumbles, he needs to work on ball control still). Yeah he has forced a couple of passes which is also bound to happen oh well, one was the interception but Enunwa is a beast and didnt let it slide. x) You can tell hes trying, He can only work with what the o-line gives him.

That being said there is so much negativity over the offense and since last week the defense which is unbelievable, Our defense has saved our ass in more games then I can remember. With all the young guys on this football team right now, They need to learn and develop. I think the offense has shown (For now) under beck they can adjust and make some plays, its the offense that bailed us out against Frenso state not the defense.

This week the defense will bounce back & the offense will continue to learn. A win is a win even if it is ugly. Remember the 94 season? lol

I think we might be plenty glad down the road that we didn't look great early. I read fans that are saying "oh, it always starts like this. The offense sucks, etc, blah, blah." But it doesn't start like this, we usually look good early and appear to regress late. Some sort of reverse learning curve. I hope we just take a step forward every game, and of course ,I woulnd't mind betting the crap out of Washington.

I swear that dude keeps the ball more than he should. It is like Eric Crouch on Steroids when it comes to keeping it on the option. You have running backs with you out there....and look to more than one receiver dude. The check down is ok...instead of you running when the first guy is not open.

His runs have been after the defender bites on the RB, He reads it and takes the lane which is the right decision, The defender has to make a choice, Either A: Pickup Tmart (He then pitches to the back). B: Pickup the back (Then Tmart just uses his speed to beat everybody else). There have been some good calls by beck and they have been played well.

As for the rest of the time (Other then designed QB runs) there's a problems. The o-line needs to give him time to find the open man or at least let the one hes locked onto get open, He has no time in the pocket, I don't blame him for taking off because I would too, if nothing is there then nothing is there simple as that, If the line isn't holding up there isn't any other choices.

He has made some good decisions (Some bad but thats bound to happen with a young offense). He's been going out of bounds instead of taking big hits, A couple times when he's rolled the pocket you can see him checking downfield trying to find an open man, He's limited his stupid choices to some extent (Not talking about the fumbles, he needs to work on ball control still). Yeah he has forced a couple of passes which is also bound to happen oh well, one was the interception but Enunwa is a beast and didnt let it slide. x) You can tell hes trying, He can only work with what the o-line gives him.

That being said there is so much negativity over the offense and since last week the defense which is unbelievable, Our defense has saved our ass in more games then I can remember. With all the young guys on this football team right now, They need to learn and develop. I think the offense has shown (For now) under beck they can adjust and make some plays, its the offense that bailed us out against Frenso state not the defense.

This week the defense will bounce back & the offense will continue to learn. A win is a win even if it is ugly. Remember the 94 season? lol

Very good post, FAR2BLAZED! Sure can't find anything to disagree with. I also think the offense will come around & give grief to the Big10.

Welcome to HuskerBoard, the best NU forum on the internet. Have fun!

GBR!!

Sandbagging or not, our offensive line should have been dominating the past two defensive lines. Physically imposing your will and establishing the line of scrimmage has little to do with what play is called.

This is where most of the negativity centered around our offense is coming from. Our line just doesn't look dominate. They're getting pushed around. Against Chatanooga (and less so FSU) they should have been opening massive holes for the backs. They didn't. People are noticing this and it's not a good sign for things to come.

Shouldn't we sandbag after we have a comfortable lead?

My thoughts exactly. It seems... odd.. to comes out like that assuming you're going to win. Fresno State came close to making us pay for it big time if that really is their strategy.

edit: and now my avatar is f'd up, what the hell