Was Coach Sanders just that good?

Pretty much agree with almost all of the above after having been at the game this weekend and being able to see things with my own eyes.

1- Sanders was a very good coach but he would have struggled this year after losing our best group of DB's in the past 20 years (Brown's were close)

2 - Green's was pretty much WU's bi*ch all night and all of our guys are smaller in the upper body and were pushed around by receivers. For that reason alone Raymond"s technique is the right one at this point. Nearly every time we tried to make contact we were thrown off of balance.

3-our D-line is hurting our DB's as much as anything. There were several times our backs had coverage for what seemed like forever. If you don't have pressure up the middle a receiver will eventually get open.

4-All of the defense looked to be playing with less effort and seemed to be looking for other guys to make the plays. I don't know how many times I saw a guy who appeared to be "watching" someone else make a tackle from a few feet away when they should have been in there helping. More than once the offensive player either got free or gain extra yards.

The biggest issue I noticed from Green is that he seems to bite on fakes by the WRs too easily. I don't think speed is an issue for him, but he let several receivers get past him on long routes. I remember seeing one play where the receiver was running a hitch and go and Green got torched, and I doubt the one I'm thinking of was the only instance.

I agree with GBGR regarding pass rush. When we were getting pressure on Keith Price, he was getting frustrated and making poor throws. When we weren't, Price was playing pitch-and-catch. We can't afford to play strictly containment with an inexperienced secondary.

I think like Da Skers said, you have to understand that NU just lost sooooo much NFL talent. Didn't 4 of the 5 guys get drafted or make a roster? That is sick, you don't just replace that kind of talent with ease.

Some of the Tmart haters will not like this but it will be the same way when he is done in a few years and then people will be like "How come (insert name of QB here) is not busting that for a 60 yard run"

I think like Da Skers said, you have to understand that NU just lost sooooo much NFL talent. Didn't 4 of the 5 guys get drafted or make a roster? That is sick, you don't just replace that kind of talent with ease.

Some of the Tmart haters will not like this but it will be the same way when he is done in a few years and then people will be like "How come (insert name of QB here) is not busting that for a 60 yard run"

Who says Fuller won't bust 60 yard runs? :koolaid2:

After watching three weeks of Husker football and our secondary, I can only come to one conclusion. We are NOT getting better as the season progresses! Yes I know our secondary is young but boy did they look lost, AGAIN. This is after week 3!! Which brings me to ask my fellow Husker fans, was Coach Sanders really that good of a secondary coach? From the way our secondary is not progressing, it sure makes me wonder that.

Thoughts?

We have Evans, Green, Cassidy, and Stafford back there instead of Amukamara, Dennard, Gomes, and Hagg.

You figure it out.

I look at the names you mentioned, and I see a ton of talent departed but also a ton of experience. You can't discount the familiarity those guys had within the system that allowed them to think less and act more on instinctual perception that stemmed from a more deeply ingrained understanding of our defense. Those guys in the NFL are all incredibly talented, that's why they're in the NFL. But they also had a number of years under their belt, especially Prince and Hagg. And really, Eric is a pretty good example. The biggest impression he made on me in his entire first year came at the very end of the last game of the season against Clemson.

It takes time, and those three guys spoiled us.

I still think a decent amount of the criticism regarding our pass coverage should be taken off the young kids in the back and levied at what was supposed to be our deepest, most talented unit on our roster coming into the year, the d-line. (As a number of you guys have already stated.)

I have a hard time understanding why there's even a conversation on why our secondary has dropped off. Besides sending three guys to the NFL and losing our other sure-fire first rounder to injury, what more needs to be said? Dennard returning, time, and experience are the three things that are going to improve the unit. Switching coaches at this point would make no difference.

• Fire 2

After watching three weeks of Husker football and our secondary, I can only come to one conclusion. We are NOT getting better as the season progresses! Yes I know our secondary is young but boy did they look lost, AGAIN. This is after week 3!! Which brings me to ask my fellow Husker fans, was Coach Sanders really that good of a secondary coach? From the way our secondary is not progressing, it sure makes me wonder that.

Thoughts?

We have Evans, Green, Cassidy, and Stafford back there instead of Amukamara, Dennard, Gomes, and Hagg.

You figure it out.

I understand that....but they were coached up which in turn made them play better. From what I am seeing, the coaching is a bit lacking in our secondary department to say the least!

If you truly understood that than you would see that your issue is far too premature to be seriously discussed right now. We don't have Amukamara, Dennard, Gomes or Hagg playing right now, and I don't think you truly understand the gravity of this. Three of those guys are on NFL rosters and one was a first round draft pick. Furthermore, those three on NFL rosters had been starters for more than a year going into their season seasons, and Amukamara played 13 games in 2008 and started many of them.

The experience Hagg, Gomes and Amukamara had going into their senior seasons puts the experience of the current guys we have (without Dennard) to shame. Pelini hired Raymond, which means he thinks he's a good coach. There's no reason, no reason at all, so think that he can't do a good job at this time.

I have a hard time understanding why there's even a conversation on why our secondary has dropped off. Besides sending three guys to the NFL and losing our other sure-fire first rounder to injury, what more needs to be said? Dennard returning, time, and experience are the three things that are going to improve the unit. Switching coaches at this point would make no difference.

I heard that Bo's cable guy just hooked Elmo's cable back up.