Do we have a prayer?

I really don't think Nebraska's as over-rated as people think, or you haven't been watching the 5-25 ranked teams much. Everyone aside from LSU, Oklahoma, and Boise has looked pretty sloppy this year so far. Hell South Carolina, the team that's been trading spots with us early in the season barely escaped navy last weekend.

Agree! I think people tend to look at our games alone and gauge our "strength" on how they perceive that we look. I think many people don't watch many games, or only watch ESPN highlights, and think they know what's up with most other teams. I watch a TON of college football, and while our defense is no thing of beauty, it's not so bad that we should be ranked any lower. So far our offense, herky-jerky though it is, looks decent.

Compared to the teams around us, we're fine at #10, or #9, since that's where we bumped up so far. If we lose we'll be adjusted accordingly. No reason for people to get concerned about a ranking at this point in the season.

Wisconsin is overrated

Perhaps.

But NU is wildly over rated.

I see Wisconsin scoring between 34-48 points and the Huskers somewhere between 14-24 points. The closest we can expect would be a 10 point differential --- and a worst-case scenario is we lose by 35 points or so. I see it somewhere in between, maybe 34-17 or 37-20 or so.

Of course I will root for a win and hope for the best... but I expect this to be somewhere between a solid Wisconsin win and a Wisconsin blowout.

Why exactly do you think this? And Nebraska is overrated by who, exactly?

Well.... we are ranked at #11 nationally, and this team has not performed like a fringe top 10 team by any stretch of the imagination --- a top 10 team that plays focused, intense ball on both sides of the ball beats UTC by 50+ points and allows no more than 7 pts (we were not too far off of that) --- it beats Fresno by 35 allowing no more than 10-14 pts --- and beats Washington at home by 30 pts allowing no more than 14 pts.

Before the season, many media types predicted that NU (who I love and have cheered for for 30 years) would be favorites to win the Big 10 --- this from a team that lost 3 of its last four games the season before this prediction and a team that has one 1 conference championship in the last 10 years. Why all the predictions of greatness? On what basis? This is how we are over-rated.

Consider.... we lost 3 of the last 4 games last season --- in the first 3 games this season 2 of the three teams have amassed 400+ yards on our defense, scoring nearly at will. Yes, we beat two cream-puffs and beat Washington... a low-tier Pac 12 team . But we limped along in beating even them.

Is this really top 10 performance we are seeing?

You ask why I think Wisconsin wins big --- and, of course I hope I am wrong as I am as big of a Husker fan as there is --- but I see Wisconsin as a legit top 10 team --- at least... maybe top 5. They have a vastly superior QB to any we have faced. They have an OL that is 3 levels or more up from those at Washington or Fresno. They have better WR's by far than Fresno and Washington. And they have better backs. The Wisconsin offense is light years ahead of teams that scored nearly at will against our offense. And... the Wisconsin defense is twice as good as any we have faced so far. So... the level of competition is a great deal higher than what we have played so far --- and the last two teams we somewhat struggled against.

Now... NU might come out and play much better than anything we have seen in the last say 7 games --- if they do, great... it might be close. If they play like they have played the last 7 games... we get stomped. Pretty simple.

^ I'd say you have to lump Wisconsin, Alabama, & Stanford in there w/ LSU, Oklahoma and Boise. All of those have looked pretty dominant thus far. Alabama has one of the best defenses I've watched in a while (since 09'). Stanford is playing well.

I'm dumbfounded how little respect people have for Wisconsin at this point (well, maybe more so on this board than in general). Sure we can beat them, but Wilson is a Heisman candidate any way you look at it. 50/66 8TD. The guy doesn't miss. I've watched all of their games. Nebraska isn't doing anything to pressure the QB right now. We have to flush Wilson and pray he doesn't beat us with his feet - which you know he can. They also haven't had extended stretches of ineptitude like we have. They haven't dug holes, and the misques are few and far between. Their special teams seam solid and it's just an all around dicsiplined team.

After that it's more open, but I'd say Oklahoma St and A&M have been better without a doubt. We're fine where we are.

EDIT: Wasn't meant as a response to you knapp - u snuck that one in there while I was typing. But since I named 8, I'll give you 2 more. Oregon, who barely lost in week 1. Then I would say we would come out .500 if we played Florida, Arkansas, Virgina Tech & Baylor the next 4 games. So take your pick of 2 in there.

Robsker, name ten other schools that are performing better than Nebraska.

Off the top of my head... Oklahoma, Boise, Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, LSU, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Virgina Tech, Arkansas, Clemson, USC, Oregon, Florida State... and then there are another 5-6 that are, for all intents and purposes, performing about like NU --- so.... we should be ca. # 18-22 or so.

Now... this can all change --- none of these teams (well... few of them) have yet played against top competition yet --- and some will be exposed and others will rise up. Some --- and maybe NU is one of them --- may be wildly under-performing to date and will get it together and perform much better than what has been the case so far --- and they will rise.

But... so far, based upon what NU has done on the field these last three games of this season --- we are more like a #20 than a #10.

I can see where you're coming from. We could just as easily be #18 as we are #9 I agree. We haven't proven anything yet. But I don't see any reason to suggest we are "overrated". Just like if we were #18 I wouldsn't see any reason to consider us "underrated". At this point there isn't enough to go on with those teams in the #10-#20 range, so #9-10 is where we fell. #9 in the AP is a stretch though - but still it's too early to be screaming overrated...and we're only talking about a couple spots.

Oregon, who barely lost in week 1.

Where does this keep coming from? It's absurd.

it was similar to the ISU game for us in 09'. turnovers. Oregon held Lee to less than 100 yards, the team to less than 200 or so on the ground. meanwhile Oregon racked up a pretty good chunk of yards, just didn't capitalize like usual. If that game was played mid-season instead of the 1st game I could easily see it going the other way. Oregon is a "timing" team. LSU is more of a "pounder" That sets up much better at the beginning of the season and I think that's why you saw the turnovers and the outcome. I kind of think the Huskers are similar, and why i'm hopeful you'll see some dramatic improvement as the year progresses.

just my opinion

I can see where you're coming from. We could just as easily be #18 as we are #9 I agree. We haven't proven anything yet. But I don't see any reason to suggest we are "overrated". Just like if we were #18 I wouldsn't see any reason to consider us "underrated". At this point there isn't enough to go on with those teams in the #10-#20 range, so #9-10 is where we fell. #9 in the AP is a stretch though - but still it's too early to be screaming overrated...and we're only talking about a couple spots.

I see where you are coming from --- I think --- I think you are saying that this early in the season one can hardly say that there is enough data out there to distinguish between #10 and #20 and so whether NU is closer to #10 or closer to #20 is not overly meaningful. If that is what you mean then OK... for the most part I agree.

Where I am coming from is merely this --- there is a general absolute level of play associated with a #10 team --- in that one expects an end of season #10 team to play at a certain level. And, an end of the season #20 caliber team, in the absolute sense is at a different and lower level. When I assess the Huskers these last 7 or so games --- the level of play against that standard is closer to a #20 level (and maybe a tad below a #20 level) than it is to a number 10 level.

But you are right --- it is too early to tell where they will be down the road --- that is why I said up front things can change. It is just that right now, NU is not playing near classic legit #10 caliber ball --- and are yet ranked there. Over-rated at the moment.

Wisconsin is overrated

Perhaps.

I see Wisconsin scoring between 34-48 points and the Huskers somewhere between 14-24 points. The closest we can expect would be a 10 point differential --- and a worst-case scenario is we lose by 35 points or so. I see it somewhere in between, maybe 34-17 or 37-20 or so.

Of course I will root for a win and hope for the best... but I expect this to be somewhere between a solid Wisconsin win and a Wisconsin blowout.

unfortunately i agree, Wilson will torch or DB's.... Dennard will likely not be up to speed yet, but really our D overall will just get hammered. the only way we could pull off a win is with 3-4 turnovers....Wisconsin by 24 points.

Robsker, name ten other schools that are performing better than Nebraska.

Off the top of my head... Oklahoma, Boise, Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, LSU, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Virgina Tech, Arkansas, Clemson, USC, Oregon, Florida State... and then there are another 5-6 that are, for all intents and purposes, performing about like NU --- so.... we should be ca. # 18-22 or so.

Now... this can all change --- none of these teams (well... few of them) have yet played against top competition yet --- and some will be exposed and others will rise up. Some --- and maybe NU is one of them --- may be wildly under-performing to date and will get it together and perform much better than what has been the case so far --- and they will rise.

But... so far, based upon what NU has done on the field these last three games of this season --- we are more like a #20 than a #10.

I'll give you a few teams that you have as being or performing better than us like OU, Alabama, LSU, and Florida State. However, there are several teams you mentioned that just haven't done anything to get overly excited about. USC beat a horrible Minnesota team by 2 points. Michigan should have lost to Notre Dumb. Shoelace is a good QB, but he should have had several INT's against Notre Dumb if the DB would have just looked back because the ball was under thrown on nearly every pass. Clemson?

Wisconsin is a quality team. However, the only way they finish the season ranked in the top 10 is if they run the table in a weak Big 10 conference. There's no way Wisconsin can play with the likes of SEC powerhouses LSU and Alabama. Wisconsin reminds me a lot of Nebraska teams in the late 80's and early 90's as they will beat up on the lesser teams but will more than likely fold when they play the teams with more speed.

Wisconsin is overrated

Perhaps.

Yawn...Another pessimistic, unfounded opinion. Keep them to yourself.

I suppose you're one of those that said were going to lose to washington too.