Which way will it go?

If anything, I'm more worried about Wisconsin's ability to go airborne and Nebraska's secondary more than anything else.

I'm not too terribly worried about Martinez or our O-Line--they can get it done on the ground, and the Okie Lite shootout showed that Martinez has an arm if necessary--plus, I would say we've got better receivers now than we did in that Okie Lite game.

Also, Nebraska is better on special teams. Our kicker/punter has routinely pinned teams deep and sent kickoffs out of the end zone--the Wisconsin kicker has trouble staying inside the lines on kickoffs, and they've had problems w/punting and their return game to boot.

If anything, our special teams may be worth a hidden 3-7 points in this game--enough to negate homefield advantage.

they have one thing we don't have, an exceptional offensive line and they play with consistency. we will have to rotate our D front to have anything left for the 4th quarter.

Our offensive line has improved at a very impressive rate over the first 4 weeks. Are they as good as Wisconsin's? Probably not, but they are well on there way in my opinion. The play of Choi especially, has helped a lot, and we are doing things that our line blocks well for. The toss sweep, for example. Our line loves blocking downhill, and Enunwa/Legate have been very impressive in blocking. Kinnie has had a knack for good blocking in the past, and Kenny Bell tries his ass off to get good blocks.

I think we WILL run the ball very effectively against Wisconsin. There defense is not that good, and has reached their ceiling it seems. While our underachieving defense has yet to hit stride, but they will. Even if we don't win Saturday, I suspect that Wisconsin could be in trouble come the Big Ten Championship game, if we both get there.

For those of you who see the Huskers as having no chance at beating the Badgers, I suggest that you go out to someplace like Wiki and look at their past two seasons. They will look far less fearsome after you do this. In addition, keep in mind that if they happen to lose Wilson during the game or at any point during their season, they're completely finished. To put it in perspective: We have more talent behind Martinez than they have behind Wilson. Badger fans should be holding their collective breath anytime they see him turn upfield, because their team is one good hit away from total mediocrity.

So you're saying that you will take out Wilson?

If anything, I'm more worried about Wisconsin's ability to go airborne and Nebraska's secondary more than anything else.

I'm not too terribly worried about Martinez or our O-Line--they can get it done on the ground, and the Okie Lite shootout showed that Martinez has an arm if necessary--plus, I would say we've got better receivers now than we did in that Okie Lite game.

Also, Nebraska is better on special teams. Our kicker/punter has routinely pinned teams deep and sent kickoffs out of the end zone--the Wisconsin kicker has trouble staying inside the lines on kickoffs, and they've had problems w/punting and their return game to boot.

If anything, our special teams may be worth a hidden 3-7 points in this game--enough to negate homefield advantage.

I hate when people point to the Okie St game and how this apparently proves Martinez can pass. Okie St that year was consistently lit up through the air and their 108th (or something like that) ranked pass defense at the end of the year proves it.

And I definitely agree that we have some possible all star receivers in Enunwa, Bell, and Turner. Unfortunately, we don't have a QB who can consistently get them the ball in a way that takes advantage of their speed. It's not what Martinez does and that's why the offense relies so heavily on its running game.

they have one thing we don't have, an exceptional offensive line and they play with consistency. we will have to rotate our D front to have anything left for the 4th quarter.

Our offensive line has improved at a very impressive rate over the first 4 weeks. Are they as good as Wisconsin's? Probably not, but they are well on there way in my opinion. The play of Choi especially, has helped a lot, and we are doing things that our line blocks well for. The toss sweep, for example. Our line loves blocking downhill, and Enunwa/Legate have been very impressive in blocking. Kinnie has had a knack for good blocking in the past, and Kenny Bell tries his ass off to get good blocks.

I think we WILL run the ball very effectively against Wisconsin. There defense is not that good, and has reached their ceiling it seems. While our underachieving defense has yet to hit stride, but they will. Even if we don't win Saturday, I suspect that Wisconsin could be in trouble come the Big Ten Championship game, if we both get there.

Yes!!

I "love" those toss sweeps and they've been very, VERY effective. Legate as you say has shown dramatic improvement in the last two games as has the Oline. Keep using it! Throw in a few zone reads with 40+ yd blurs with Tmart.

I too think the cheeseheads are going to have big problems stopping us. C'mon Saturday!

GBR!!

I hate when people point to the Okie St game and how this apparently proves Martinez can pass. Okie St that year was consistently lit up through the air and their 108th (or something like that) ranked pass defense at the end of the year proves it.

And I definitely agree that we have some possible all star receivers in Enunwa, Bell, and Turner. Unfortunately, we don't have a QB who can consistently get them the ball in a way that takes advantage of their speed. It's not what Martinez does and that's why the offense relies so heavily on its running game.

Total BS.

A healthy Tmart has so far been 12 - 1 at NU. The "one" loss being Texas last year where our wrs dropped his passes all game long. So his good passing days don't count and his big running days don't count......gee, I wonder what your agenda is?

lol!

You can keep crying a river but luckily for us Bo/Beck prefer to win!

GBR!!

• Fire 1

Finally found my password here @ work--

here is my 2 cents--none of it is rocket science but here we go--

I agree w/ TMagic - Huskers do play better on the road.. Against VTech, Oklahoma , Ok State, Texas ( Big 12 Ch ) Game, Mizzou... games expected to be losses or blowouts... N comes through. The games we expect to look great in.. Iowa St, Washington ( 2nd game ), SD, Wyoming etc.. struggle.. N always rises to level of competition.

If Whisky spanks us... I will be surprised and Whisky in that case is for real.. I expect N to come out on fire and punch Whisky in the mouth. I live in Corvallis Oregon now, got to watch the Oregon State game on TV.. Oregon State did not score any points... but..they did move the ball quite well at times ( especially perimeter ) Beavers were playing with a Frosh QB... Oregon St, lost to Sacramento State at home.. if that tells you what O power that they have...

Easy said than done... but... put a spy on Russell... force him to pass to win.. much like what D's have done to Oregon... and we have a great chance :)

I have not seen wisconsin play. My wisconsin friend has plenty of concerns on their end. I just don't like the matchup on paper. A powerful run offense against our soft run defense coupled with a turnover prone offense isn't the best matchup. A poster pointed to the Missouri game last year. Our defense was designed to stop that offense.

I don't like the matchup at this point in the season. Is Wisconsin a top team? We don't know. So far they've done what they were supposed to do. But when I see things like a 60% 3rd down conversion rate for their offense it makes me nervous. I'm certainly looking forward to the game but wouldn't be shocked if we fell on our faces early. (I would be shocked if we stayed down all game though)

Well theres your problem.... you dont like the matchup on paper? Really? Your basing your prediction of this game on some stats.....oooooook.

uh no....paper doesn't just mean stats. It means style and players at the positions too. On paper wisconsin runs the ball....really well....on paper wisconsin scores lots of points....on paper wisconsin is 4-0 and #7 and 10 point favorites. That's really all I have to go on for wisconsin. nebraska I've watched. We had been gashed for big runs. our secondary has given up big plays. Our team doesn't look like a top 10 team defensively. We are 4-0 with decent wins.

Why am I even explaining myself again?

For those of you who see the Huskers as having no chance at beating the Badgers, I suggest that you go out to someplace like Wiki and look at their past two seasons. They will look far less fearsome after you do this. In addition, keep in mind that if they happen to lose Wilson during the game or at any point during their season, they're completely finished. To put it in perspective: We have more talent behind Martinez than they have behind Wilson. Badger fans should be holding their collective breath anytime they see him turn upfield, because their team is one good hit away from total mediocrity.

Sigh. Where are all these posters saying we have "no chance" at beating the Badgers? You accuse us of overreacting because we are giving the #7 team in the nation some respect by overreacting to our statements and putting words in our posts that aren't there.

have you guys that are so down about the game next Saturday actually watched Wisconsin's games or are you just looking at the scores and envisioning the 90s huskers? They are more like k-state, play absolutely the weakest non-conference schedules allowable (while still counted for bowl eligibility) and look great doing it...

They haven't yet played anyone with any athletes on defense.

They don't have much of a defense themselves either. Seriously.

Yeah the game could go either way, but its not like Nebraska will walk in there playing like NIU and going for onside kicks in the first quarter after tying the game because they know they can't physically play with them for 4 quarters.... which NIU recovered btw and had ripped out in the pile. They won't have 50 yard fields for half the game.

You're correct about Wisconsin deliberately playing a weak non-conference schedule, but totally wrong about us "looking great doing it."

In fact, the Badgers' effortless march through the NC portion of the schedule in 2011 is unprecedented.

2010 - beat a 6-6 Arizona State team by one point. But for a missed XP and a game saving tackle on a KR the Badgers lose at home.

2010 - beat a 1-12 San Jose State team 27 - 14. Yeah, the game was never really in doubt but anybody watching certainly doubted the Badger's top-15 pre-season ranking.

2009 - beat a 7-6 Northern Illinois team 28 - 20 and looked pretty weak doing it.

2009 - beat an 8-5 Fresno State squad 38 - 35. And in all three of the games cited so far the Badgers got a decent lead and let the opponent climb back in. This is a contributing factor to Bielema's subsequent tendency to RUTS.

2008 - again barely snuck past Fresno State 13 - 10

2008 - needed a miracle and missed XP to beat CAL POLY. Nope, you did not read that wrong. On 11/22 the Badgers came within a hair of losing to FCS team Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo.

in 2007 we struggled to beat UNLV and (egads) Citadel.

in 2006 a 4-8 Bowling Green team led at the half.

And lots of similar near disasters in prior years including losses to UNLV and Fresno State.

You're correct about Wisconsin deliberately playing a weak non-conference schedule, but totally wrong about us "looking great doing it."

In fact, the Badgers' effortless march through the NC portion of the schedule in 2011 is unprecedented.

2010 - beat a 6-6 Arizona State team by one point. But for a missed XP and a game saving tackle on a KR the Badgers lose at home.

2010 - beat a 1-12 San Jose State team 27 - 14. Yeah, the game was never really in doubt but anybody watching certainly doubted the Badger's top-15 pre-season ranking.

2009 - beat a 7-6 Northern Illinois team 28 - 20 and looked pretty weak doing it.

2009 - beat an 8-5 Fresno State squad 38 - 35. And in all three of the games cited so far the Badgers got a decent lead and let the opponent climb back in. This is a contributing factor to Bielema's subsequent tendency to RUTS.

2008 - needed a miracle and missed XP to beat CAL POLY. Nope, you did not read that wrong. On 11/22 the Badgers came within a hair of losing to FCS team Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo.

And lots of similar near disasters in prior years including losses to UNLV and Fresno State.

Good point, but Arizona State last year was far far better than anyone Wisconsin has played this year. They had to be the best 6-6 team in the country. They were a hair's breath away from being 9-3, iirc. In one of their games they had a kick returner get tackled at the 1yd line with 0:00 at half-time and lost that game by 1 point.

Good point, but Arizona State last year was far far better than anyone Wisconsin has played this year. They had to be the best 6-6 team in the country. They were a hair's breath away from being 9-3, iirc. In one of their games they had a kick returner get tackled at the 1yd line with 0:00 at half-time and lost that game by 1 point.

Wisconsin redshirts a lot of guys and relies heavily on player development. They don't recruit a lot of 5 star kids who are ready to see the field immediately. So, presumably, the strategy is to play a weaker NC schedule so that the youngsters can make their rookie mistakes without costing the team an opportunity to play in a decent bowl.

The difference this year is 1) weaker NC opponents than ever, and 2) a lot of depth and returning players on offense plus, obviously, Russel Wilson. Normally if you've got a respectable DL you can put ten guys in the box against the Badgers and keep it close. Cal Poly, though, nearly beat us in November, but that was just a bad team by recent standards. They laid an egg against a crappy Florida State team a few weeks later.