BTN's Howard Griffith Still Believes NU Will Win Big 10

Our running game is making strides in improvement, and has continued to get better every game. The offensive line is becoming a strength on this team, and Burkhead is on of the best in the country. We have young talent on the line, young talent in the backfield, and a young talented (running) quarterback. We should end the season as one of the best running teams in the whole country.

By the way, Florida is NOT a better running team then us: http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

*If anyone can help me with a video link, I'd appreciate it--tried to find it on the BTN site, no luck.*

Was watching BTN Live last night, and the topic came up about who they would pick to win the Big 10 championship based on what has been shown at the midseason point, and while Illinois and Wisconsin (obviously) came up, Howard Griffith said Nebraska, and then gave a grin like the cat who ate the canary.

With all of the mid-season distractions and problems (e.g. reporters, Crick's injuries) in spite of the new Renaissance our offense is experiencing, is it possible people are starting to believe we'll win the Big 10 on the backs of Rex, Abdullah, and Martinez, instead of Meredith, David, and Fonz?

Regardless, it's nice to see that we're still thought of as being in the hunt for the Big 10 title. Something tells me that Bo and Co will use the next two bye weeks to retool our D and employ a KISS philosophy to help the new players out. That, and we'll see our second-string get lots of time @ Minnesota, which will help a great deal.

The only thing I can come up with is he was trying to make a funny at our expense.

Nope--legitimate pick, and he didn't back down from it. Wouldn't say why when pressed by the others on the panel, though. Perhaps Suh is hooking him up with some Omaha Steaks?

And I'm still trying to find the damn video, which I think would help explain the context and why this was a legitimate pick.

I've thought since preseason that we would split with Ohio St & Wisconsin & go to the B1G Championship Game. The road looks tougher then it did before the season started, but I think we still have a good shot at it. I would love the chance to send Wisconsin to the Capital One Bowl, but at the end of the day, I would still be good with a 10 win season.

Spartan fan here coming in peace, and as much as it pains me to say it, I still think you guys will be playing in the B1G championship game. Here is why:

You have a nice team, and overall are probably slightly better than my MSU team. I think it is close enough between us, and that if our game were to be played in East Lansing we'd win. But since the game is in Lincoln this year, I'll tip my cap and say I think you have to be the favorites in that one. That being said, I am confident you will beat UM in Ann Arbor regardless. They are soft and history has shown that their offense breaks down when they play a hard hitting, good defensive team like us or like you. So I really see our game on the 29th being the decider for who will represent our division this year.

Regarding our game with Wisconsin, it really does not come into play in deciding the division unless you were to drop another game somewhere. That being said, Wisconsin is very different team on the road then at home. You will see this full well when you host them in Lincoln next year. If you go back and look at their road record, it is not the most stellar, so I do think MSU has a better chance than what most of the so called experts are giving us in that one. However big wins over schools like South Dakota do make Wisconsin look pretty good.

Anyway if you do beat us, I will definitely be pulling for you over Wisconsin in the championship. You are a classier bunch, and a classier program and I am excited that you are in the B1G. Looking forward to seeing the Big Red on the 29th, and good luck!

"They are soft and history has shown that their offense breaks down when they play a hard hitting, good defensive team like us or like you".... :lol:

OH how I wish our defense was on par with MSU this year. Or even 1/2 as good. I'm afraid UM offense will be like a knife through butter unless something miraculously changes by then. That said, our offense is evolving, too, so it could be a high scoring affair.

Thanks Carcross for the kind words. Stick around a while and pull up a chair. :)

I do agree that MSU vs. NU is the Legends title game...but (huge but) that is assuming that MSU and NU take care of business elsewhere, as Iowa and Michigan have pillow-soft conference schedules and can easily make up any ground MSU or NU cedes to them.

I do like that we have Iowa and MSU at home as well. Michigan on the road worries me because of their QB, but if history is any indication, he may be more than a little tenderized by the time the Blackshirts invade Ann Arbor.

But other than MSU and MU, I'm worried about a Northwestern team that has Persa at QB. This could easily be Fresno State redux--a solid pocket QB that can throw on the run (when not gimpy) and doesn't make mistakes, and an offense that plays as a cohesive unit and is greater than the sum of their parts.

Regardless, here's hoping we hang half a hundred on Minnesota, and we'll see who comes out of the NU/MSU match unscathed. :)