Brion Carnes needs more reps in mop up duty

Apathy

The fact that you think Carnes will want to transfer is probably the most unbelievable thing in this thread.

If he does not win the starting position next year, he will most likely transfer. Its just how things are nowadays.

To where, though? I'm pretty sure his only other area of interest was a bad Western Kentucky team, that's still bad.

I'd rather be a back up at Nebraska than a starter at WKU, but that's just me. I know how a lot of players are now these days, though.

Was Cody Green interested in the school he transferred to in the initial recruiting process? He doesn't necessarily have to transfer to WKU just because that was the only other school he had interest in two years ago.

I didn't say he had to. My point is that he showed no interest in schools other than Nebraska and Western Kentucky. In fact, he only made two official visits despite scholarship offers from several other schools. That, to me, doesn't sound like the type of guy who is willing to just go anywhere.

I just don't like transfer nonsense being thrown around as conjecture and predication, regardless of how a lot of players are these days. Carnes could be one of the most devoted players on the team for all we know. Saying he's going to transfer just because he isn't getting PT is setting up a whole lot of unnecessary nonsense.

If he wants to transfer - power to him. But Nebraska is the best school he had a scholarship offer from and it's unlikely he will play anywhere of the same caliber. But if PT is all that matters to him...again - power to him.

He needs a lot more reps! Good god I'm glad Martinez is starting. Not saying Carnes cannot be good but for sure Martinez is the way to go. I don't read every thread but I noticed Martinez had gloves on both hands vs. Minnesota. I've heard different opinions on that from the people on TV and not sure if it's good or bad.

He needs a lot more reps! Good god I'm glad Martinez is starting. Not saying Carnes cannot be good but for sure Martinez is the way to go. I don't read every thread but I noticed Martinez had gloves on both hands vs. Minnesota. I've heard different opinions on that from the people on TV and not sure if it's good or bad.

I think Martinez said in the presser that it's going to get colder (obviously) and he's trying out gloves.

Kurt Warner and Ben Roethlisberger are two quarterbacks that come to mind who have used gloves a lot in the past.

They don't even let him run the offense when he comes in. Pitch left, pitch right, hand off. It's a sham if they think they're developing him.

It's not running up the score when it's your second string. Turn the offense over to him and see what he's got before it's too late and the season is on the line.

Perhaps. . .and I only say this because I've talked to people who actually know. . . .those were the safest plays to let Carnes run and not risk a horrible outcome on the play that might shake a kids confidence.

I wish the fact was we had a TF, BB type of deal here where the backup give you just as good a shot at winning the game. Carnes has talent. . there is no mistaking that but after several personal conversations this past week its apparent that Carnes has to learn to play within the offense. I don't remember which paper but one of them even quoted Brion as saying as much about his progression.

So is brion not getting reps in practice or he is just having that much trouble? He's been here almost 2 years, you would think by now he should have a good handle on things.

He's getting lots of practice reps and at times is all world but he will then turn around a make two or three boneheaded plays. Realize this is year one for everybody. He's just having troubles. He's probably a case where being a gifted athlete has done as much to hurt his progress and develop it over his life. He can't make every play all by himself like he could in High School and he needs to learn to read the defense better. Top it off by it occasionally working when he does go all impromptu so its hard to actually believe you should do XYZ when Q sometimes works. He remembers the one time it worked and not the 5 times it ruined everything. He still puts himself into trouble when he shouldn't. Like any QB making the reads and checks is the key to being the #1 guy. He'll get more time when he shows he'll do that.

Don't forget also - our backups couldn't get Minnesota off the field in the fourth. It's tough to get reps for your backup when your defense isn't playing well. Although, I still question that sideline catch that was reviewed and overturned. One angle showed a lot of fumbling with the ball (you have to maintain possession out of bounds, I thought) and it looked like his toe landed out of bounds when did get control. Didn't seem like "irrefutable" video evidence, to me.

That is in the Pro's, but i do agree that it was a questionable change of calls. I wouldn't have had a problem with it, if the call would have been a catch to start.

All that being said. . .if it does click...and I hope it does at some point he has the chance to be a very good QB for us. I don't know if that means he'll be an eventual starter, a back up, or what. If I had a crystal ball based on what I know about everyone and at least what is expected to transpire in winter and spring I could see Taylor being the #1 guy next year and have our back up QB taking most of his snaps at WR for the next two years but getting some QB reps and Brion ending up #3.

I say that a little prematurely because Turner was told he would get a crack at QB after the season again and in all honestly with talking to people who know a lot more about football and the team make up, they have said he has what it takes to be a better leader and QB more so than anyone else at that position currently on the roster. They compare him to Rex in leadership and popularity on the team. Thats unfortunate for TM because he could be Joe Montana and guys are going to naturally play harder for someone who's personality is more outgoing. Guys are beginning to understand Taylors personality and how he differs as a leader but you'll always have that group that will assume that quite confidence/arrogance is him being standoffish. He's just naturally the type of kid that will help you as a teammate in any way you ask...but you're going to have to ask for that help and his shyness makes him less approachable.

I'm personally less concerned about QB than I am about RB. We've got 3 freshman that in another year all want to be the #1 guy. Green has been frustrated by his touches if you believe the rumors and I do a little because of his actions after Wyoming (not joining the team in prayer) and a few other comments he's either made or tweeted. Its understandable when he's competitive and feels like he could help the team. It could be a real distraction next year and the following year with more than one guy feeling like they could help the team win games. Plus its going to hurt recruiting at that spot a little when you know you have three all class RB's that could start at most programs. I feel a little better knowing that there is the chance one of the three will switch positions this spring but that's not a given either. But it would sure solve 95% of the issues.

So is brion not getting reps in practice or he is just having that much trouble? He's been here almost 2 years, you would think by now he should have a good handle on things.

Most second year players don't have what I would consider a good handle on things. Very rarely does a young player have the ability to come in and make an impact early on in their college career. He's been here two years, but he's also had two different offensive coaches and he's only what...19 years old? That's awfully young if you really think about it. Quarterback is the most important position on the field, and preferably you don't want your starter to always be 19 years old every single year.

Whether or not Carnes is having trouble is conjecture at this point. I'm positive he gets reps in practice, and Pelini has said he would have no problem putting Carnes into a game.

He's getting lots of practice reps and at times is all world but he will then turn around a make two or three boneheaded plays. Realize this is year one for everybody. He's just having troubles. He's probably a case where being a gifted athlete has done as much to hurt his progress and develop it over his life. He can't make every play all by himself like he could in High School and he needs to learn to read the defense better. Top it off by it occasionally working when he does go all impromptu so its hard to actually believe you should do XYZ when Q sometimes works. He remembers the one time it worked and not the 5 times it ruined everything. He still puts himself into trouble when he shouldn't. Like any QB making the reads and checks is the key to being the #1 guy. He'll get more time when he shows he'll do that.

It's kind of funny (ok maybe not) but that description could also fit TM to a T. Guess when you have young QB's, that kind of comes with the territory.

It does fit Martinez to a "T" with the main difference being experience. Martinez has all of last year to draw on, and there were a TON of teaching moments for him last year.

When you have a Martinez and a Carnes, you don't simply bench Martinez to give Carnes reps hoping that he'll eventually get to where Martinez is. It's unfortunate for any player to come in and be a year behind a good player at his position. He has to be patient, and willing to be that team guy who bides his time and helps the team while he's doing it.

A great example of that is Rex, biding his time behind Helu. You can't take Helu off the field and just give Rex all the snaps, but Rex needs to get his touches, too. It just requires patience being that #2 guy.

I have faith in the coaches and the decisions they have to make regarding playtime, reps, etc.. I see both sides of the debate too...and I hope that we don't have to rely on Brion to come in for any extended period of time due to injury.

Oh..and wtf?

P.S. I'm posting this one my iPhone and I'm buzzing from my captain and come while watching the Wissy/Mich St game.

It's kind of funny (ok maybe not) but that description could also fit TM to a T. Guess when you have young QB's, that kind of comes with the territory.

Yes. . .but there is also a talent gap between back up and starter too.

It does fit Martinez to a "T" with the main difference being experience. Martinez has all of last year to draw on, and there were a TON of teaching moments for him last year.

When you have a Martinez and a Carnes, you don't simply bench Martinez to give Carnes reps hoping that he'll eventually get to where Martinez is. It's unfortunate for any player to come in and be a year behind a good player at his position. He has to be patient, and willing to be that team guy who bides his time and helps the team while he's doing it.

A great example of that is Rex, biding his time behind Helu. You can't take Helu off the field and just give Rex all the snaps, but Rex needs to get his touches, too. It just requires patience being that #2 guy.

Yes and no. Martinez is learning and yes, still makes some mistakes that hurt us from time to time but they are limited. He's much much better at his reads this year and he's improved almost every game. Taylor also tries very hard to play within the offense. He isn't trying to play street ball or 7 on 7 league indoor crap. I won't ever expect Taylor to be a fantastic passer. My issue with him has been ball security and he's improved there but there is still a ton of room to go. The nice thing is when he does something like leave the ball unprotected in traffic and we a loose ball, Ganz says something to him about it and the next time he hits traffic he's got that thing tucked away. We just need to get to the point he does it naturally. Taylor also has a lot more natural talent and is more athletic than Carnes. Thats probably the biggest difference.