Brion Carnes needs more reps in mop up duty

Apathy

In all fairness Carnes should have been given more time long before this game came along.

Where would you have given him more time? He played in the fourth against UTC, played in the fourth against Wyoming and had a whole quarter against Minnesota. We haven't exactly put ourselves in a position this year to get our back ups into games...and you still need to get your starters enough playing time. Generally speaking, teams keep their starters in throughout most of the third quarter even in blowouts.

If Martinez and Co. had been able to score touchdowns on our third quarter drives, our backs up could have gotten into the game earlier. Instead, we obviously took our foot off the gas pedal and our players slacked off a little bit, which is frustrating to watch as a fan. I don't care how bad a team is - you want to put up as many points as you can. If you're winning by 30...try and win by 40. Call the dogs off later if that's the case. But when it's the third quarter and you still have your starters in you have to be playing with the intent to score. When you get your back ups in, then call conservatively. Until then it should be high-octane the entire time.

You've posted whole quarter three times. He had one series. He then came in and handed off three times as time expired.

As Herc noted up a few posts. He didn't get more time because of the third quarter. Had they punched it in early the third he would have had some PT. It didn't happen that way.

If you are trying to develop a qb, you give him playing time no matter what. Think Gary Pinkel. He had Brad Smith as a Senior and gave Chase Daniel a series in the first half of almost every game to get him some experience. I think it was the same with Gabbert. You need to have a backup you can rely on, especially if you have a starting running qb because the chance of injury is pretty high.

If you are trying to develop a qb, you give him playing time no matter what. Think Gary Pinkel. He had Brad Smith as a Senior and gave Chase Daniel a series in the first half of almost every game to get him some experience. I think it was the same with Gabbert. You need to have a backup you can rely on, especially if you have a starting running qb because the chance of injury is pretty high.

If only we had a HC as good as Pinkel. Oh well.....

• Fire 2

If only we had a HC as good as Pinkel. Oh well.....

I agree with TJ Alum that they probably should have bit the bullet and got the kid in, but the Pinkel quote is just funny. Nice.

They don't even let him run the offense when he comes in. Pitch left, pitch right, hand off. It's a sham if they think they're developing him.

It's not running up the score when it's your second string. Turn the offense over to him and see what he's got before it's too late and the season is on the line.

Uhhhhh.....pitch left, pitch right, hand off is a big part of what Tmart does too. What would make you happy? 15 down-field passes in a row?

Maybe, just maybe, reading the defense for the run plays is a big part of being a qb for us too? I know, I know it SUCKS, but it looks more & more that Beck was shooting straight with us regarding being a "run-first" offense. Oh well, that's the breaks.

GBR!!

I thought he got a decent amount of time. Our offense made some mistakes in the second half which was inexcusable. We can't drop easy passes like that. It's obvious to me that T-mart still needs to get his reps as well. Some of those passes were just barely overthrown. I will kinda agree that they should let him run some different plays next time, but I trust the coaches also.

I thought he got a decent amount of time. Our offense made some mistakes in the second half which was inexcusable. We can't drop easy passes like that. It's obvious to me that T-mart still needs to get his reps as well. Some of those passes were just barely overthrown. I will kinda agree that they should let him run some different plays next time, but I trust the coaches also.

Your point that TMart needs his reps too is a very, very good point. He has much to work on and needs the reps.

Sure, it would be a great luxury if we could get more reps for carnes --- but I, like you it would seem, contend that TMart needs all the work he can get. Now those who think that Carnes needs more reps are also quite correct in that --- if TMart goes down --- NU is dead... because we have a back-up QB with zero meaningful experience. True enough. But NU is not in a position of luxury (in any sense of the word) --- TMart needs to get better --- much, much, much better in order for NU to compete against good competition (something NU has not done in a decade) --- and for TMart to get better , he needs reps. It is as simple as that. NU is simply gambling that TMart can, ultimately, be a QB that makes us competitive... NU is simply playing the cards that they have --- TMart is the one that the team is banking upon... and he is a major project that needs work. Before NU develops a back-up QB they must develop a starting QB. So... do not expect to see Carnes much at all.

Here is the issue, people that bag on Tmart want Carnes to come in and go 15-15 for 300 yards and 4 TD's along with 100 yards rushing and 2 TD's.

Bingo.

Thanks!

They want that to happen for basically one reason, to say they were "right"

No, they want "that" to happen so if their starting QB, who happens to run, A LOT, goes down with an injury, his backup doesn't come in and look like a "deer in the headlights".

It really is a no-win situation, obviously your starter is still young and needs his time also, and backups need their time. It really did boil down to the defense not getting Minnesota stopped in the fourth quarter. Although I would have liked to seen Carnes a little earlier, he would have had the entire fourth if the defense could have gotten the O back out there.

The thing that bothers me more though is that, in my opinion, there are three main guys we absolutely cannot afford to lose, TM, Lavonte, and Rex. We know how much David has held up this defense this year (how bad would it be without him?), and though I think our young backs are going to be outstanding,but how many times does Rex make a spectaular two or three yard run for a first down when he should be stopped for a loss. I hate seeing them out there when the game is decided. I know you can't play away from injury, but I really believe keeping them healthy is paramount for us.

In all fairness Carnes should have been given more time long before this game came along.

Where would you have given him more time? He played in the fourth against UTC, played in the fourth against Wyoming and had a whole quarter against Minnesota. We haven't exactly put ourselves in a position this year to get our back ups into games...and you still need to get your starters enough playing time. Generally speaking, teams keep their starters in throughout most of the third quarter even in blowouts.

If Martinez and Co. had been able to score touchdowns on our third quarter drives, our backs up could have gotten into the game earlier. Instead, we obviously took our foot off the gas pedal and our players slacked off a little bit, which is frustrating to watch as a fan. I don't care how bad a team is - you want to put up as many points as you can. If you're winning by 30...try and win by 40. Call the dogs off later if that's the case. But when it's the third quarter and you still have your starters in you have to be playing with the intent to score. When you get your back ups in, then call conservatively. Until then it should be high-octane the entire time.

You've posted whole quarter three times. He had one series. He then came in and handed off three times as time expired.

As Herc noted up a few posts. He didn't get more time because of the third quarter. Had they punched it in early the third he would have had some PT. It didn't happen that way.

I only said whole quarter once. I don't know where you got that I said it three times.

Regardless, how else do you characterize his playing time? Martinez had three quarters to play. He obviously wasn't in there for ALL of the three quarters, because you have to give the ball up after a score. The point is Carnes was the starter for one entire quarter. The fact that he had only a little playing time is because the offense couldn't sustain their drives and the defense couldn't get Minnesota off the field.