Brion Carnes needs more reps in mop up duty

Apathy

In all fairness Carnes should have been given more time long before this game came along.

Generally speaking, teams keep their starters in throughout most of the third quarter even in blowouts.

Heck, Wisconsin keeps their 1st strings in the entire game even if it's a blowout.

Here is the issue, people that bag on Tmart want Carnes to come in and go 15-15 for 300 yards and 4 TD's along with 100 yards rushing and 2 TD's.

It's often said that the back up QB is the most popular player on the team. I know I was wanting Ron Kellog III to come in after Carnes came in, because man, Carnes can't do a damn thing for this offense.

Should Carnes have gotten more playing time already this year? Probably, no way should the game against Fresno State be that close--but other than that Carnes has came in when there was the opportunity for him to come in and play.

Sure, if Taylor goes down we'll find it tough to win football games from here on out. But what team can put their back up QBs in the game and be able to operate at the same efficiency level as they did with their starting QB?

In all fairness Carnes should have been given more time long before this game came along.

Where would you have given him more time? He played in the fourth against UTC, played in the fourth against Wyoming and had a whole quarter against Minnesota. We haven't exactly put ourselves in a position this year to get our back ups into games...and you still need to get your starters enough playing time. Generally speaking, teams keep their starters in throughout most of the third quarter even in blowouts.

If Martinez and Co. had been able to score touchdowns on our third quarter drives, our backs up could have gotten into the game earlier. Instead, we obviously took our foot off the gas pedal and our players slacked off a little bit, which is frustrating to watch as a fan. I don't care how bad a team is - you want to put up as many points as you can. If you're winning by 30...try and win by 40. Call the dogs off later if that's the case. But when it's the third quarter and you still have your starters in you have to be playing with the intent to score. When you get your back ups in, then call conservatively. Until then it should be high-octane the entire time.

You've posted whole quarter three times. He had one series. He then came in and handed off three times as time expired.

As Herc noted up a few posts. He didn't get more time because of the third quarter. Had they punched it in early the third he would have had some PT. It didn't happen that way.

:facepalm:

If you're making a point about his post and you quote it for all to see, make sure your statement is accurate.

I'm sure you really just meant the whole thread had alluded to whole quarter at least 3 times, right GBGR? I'm just giving you a hard time, man.

Generally speaking, teams keep their starters in throughout most of the third quarter even in blowouts.

Heck, Wisconsin keeps their 1st strings in the entire game even if it's a blowout.

Here is the issue, people that bag on Tmart want Carnes to come in and go 15-15 for 300 yards and 4 TD's along with 100 yards rushing and 2 TD's.

It's often said that the back up QB is the most popular player on the team. I know I was wanting Ron Kellog III to come in after Carnes came in, because man, Carnes can't do a damn thing for this offense.

Should Carnes have gotten more playing time already this year? Probably, no way should the game against Fresno State be that close--but other than that Carnes has came in when there was the opportunity for him to come in and play.

Sure, if Taylor goes down we'll find it tough to win football games from here on out. But what team can put their back up QBs in the game and be able to operate at the same efficiency level as they did with their starting QB?

I think for a lot of teams it's easier than others. Teams like us, or Michigan, or Stanford, or Boise State are going to suffer if their Star QB's get injured. I think it's a lot easier for teams with less marvelous QB's to have the backup come in, as the backup may be just as good as the starter, and the dropoff in talent is very marginal.

I can't believe what I'm seeing on here, weren't most people on here high on Carnes?

Look I get the second half didn't go as planned, and our depth on defense right now isn't very good and can't stop Minnesota, but guys Carnes comes in and it's the same old thing, pitch right, pitch left, handoff right, ect.

They let the kid pass one time on third and long and it's a 6 yard route? They won't let him run the offense and that's just a shame that a kid that has talent doesn't get the opportunity to show it, we might as well start waving goodbye to him now because I smell a transfer.

I can't believe what I'm seeing on here, weren't most people on here high on Carnes?

Look I get the second half didn't go as planned, and our depth on defense right now isn't very good and can't stop Minnesota, but guys Carnes comes in and it's the same old thing, pitch right, pitch left, handoff right, ect.

They let the kid pass one time on third and long and it's a 6 yard route? They won't let him run the offense and that's just a shame that a kid that has talent doesn't get the opportunity to show it, we might as well start waving goodbye to him now because I smell a transfer.

That's extremely drastic. He should know his role in the offense - backup. When you're a backup, you prepare as if you're the starter but often don't see significant PT until garbage time. He should know that the offense he's going to use in garbage time is going to be nothing spectacular. The fact that you think Carnes will want to transfer is probably the most unbelievable thing in this thread.

That said, I agree with your frustrations about the offense. I understand we were up big, don't want to rub salt in the wound, everybody respects Jerry Kill, etc. But...come on. I'd like to see us still play creatively in the fourth quarter instead of just pitch right, pitch left, run between the tackles, etc. I'm not saying throw the ball everywhere, but at least let Carnes try and make some plays. But there were a lot of extenuating factors that prevent us from utilizing Carnes this way. We haven't blown out teams effectively enough and our back up defenders couldn't get MInnesota off the field in the fourth to get our guys more PT. Minnesota put together almost an 8 minute drive.

The fact that you think Carnes will want to transfer is probably the most unbelievable thing in this thread.

If he does not win the starting position next year, he will most likely transfer. Its just how things are nowadays.

To where, though? I'm pretty sure his only other area of interest was a bad Western Kentucky team, that's still bad.

I'd rather be a back up at Nebraska than a starter at WKU, but that's just me. I know how a lot of players are now these days, though.

• Fire 1

The fact that you think Carnes will want to transfer is probably the most unbelievable thing in this thread.

If he does not win the starting position next year, he will most likely transfer. Its just how things are nowadays.

To where, though? I'm pretty sure his only other area of interest was a bad Western Kentucky team, that's still bad.

I'd rather be a back up at Nebraska than a starter at WKU, but that's just me. I know how a lot of players are now these days, though.

Was Cody Green interested in the school he transferred to in the initial recruiting process? He doesn't necessarily have to transfer to WKU just because that was the only other school he had interest in two years ago.

Where would you have given him more time? He played in the fourth against UTC, played in the fourth against Wyoming and had a whole quarter against Minnesota. We haven't exactly put ourselves in a position this year to get our back ups into games...and you still need to get your starters enough playing time. Generally speaking, teams keep their starters in throughout most of the third quarter even in blowouts.

If Martinez and Co. had been able to score touchdowns on our third quarter drives, our backs up could have gotten into the game earlier. Instead, we obviously took our foot off the gas pedal and our players slacked off a little bit, which is frustrating to watch as a fan. I don't care how bad a team is - you want to put up as many points as you can. If you're winning by 30...try and win by 40. Call the dogs off later if that's the case. But when it's the third quarter and you still have your starters in you have to be playing with the intent to score. When you get your back ups in, then call conservatively. Until then it should be high-octane the entire time.

You've posted whole quarter three times. He had one series. He then came in and handed off three times as time expired.

As Herc noted up a few posts. He didn't get more time because of the third quarter. Had they punched it in early the third he would have had some PT. It didn't happen that way.

:facepalm:

If you're making a point about his post and you quote it for all to see, make sure your statement is accurate.

I'm sure you really just meant the whole thread had alluded to whole quarter at least 3 times, right GBGR? I'm just giving you a hard time, man.

I think for a lot of teams it's easier than others. Teams like us, or Michigan, or Stanford, or Boise State are going to suffer if their Star QB's get injured. I think it's a lot easier for teams with less marvelous QB's to have the backup come in, as the backup may be just as good as the starter, and the dropoff in talent is very marginal.

Oregon did it in two games this year and they kept on trucking. The offense changed a little because the backup was more of a runner than Thomas but he still put up a large amount of yards and points.

Oregon is several years into Chip Kelly's system, we're still in the learning stages with Tim Beck.

That said, I really hope that we can get to that point. If people on here didn't see the Oregon - Arizona State game, it's too bad, because that's what we should want to see out of our backups. LaMichael James was out, and Darron Thomas went down in the second half of a game where Oregon was trailing a top 25 team, and the backup came in and was lights out (after having virtually no meaningful playing experience in his career).

Our offense is getting better, but I really do hope to see it achieve that kind of culture over the next few years, where the backups are expected to meet the same standard of play as the starters, where we have good enough depth at each position for the next guy to just step up and not have a letdown in the quality of play. When you watched Oregon against Arizona State, if you didn't know Oregon, you never would have known that their best two offensive players weren't on the field. That offense, in terms of their firepower, their explosiveness, their swagger, their dominance, just in terms of how much other teams fear them, is really starting to remind me of the offenses Osborne put together at Nebraska.

Well Carnes is so inexperienced right now that it's dangerous to put him in a position like that. It's different when you have a Frazier/Berringer situation, because both of those guys had ample experience. It's tough to gauge what he can do but that's the life of a back up quarterback. Play if the starter goes down or if it's mop up duty.

Our offense will get better and have more depth with time. This team hasn't run the same offense at all the last four years. Watson's offense worked ok in '08 and part of '09 before it was taken down several notches. He revamped a new offense for 2010, and now we have a new OC in '11. It's near impossible to build depth like the kind Oregon has when you don't have a solidified system in place. Starters are learning at the same rate as the back ups practically.

The season depends on Taylor's development. Taylor goes down then just forget competing for the Big 10 title. That's our goal. I liked seeing us try to get Taylor more passing reps. He needs the work. Guy needs to square up his body and step into his throws instead of this side spin stuff...but that's another thread. Was disappointed D couldn't get minnesota off the field for Carnes but don't have a problem with trying to spend as much time as possible getting the #1 offense to gel under a new OC and system.