Brion Carnes needs more reps in mop up duty

Apathy

I'm going to start this thread saying that I'm a huge T-Mart fan but during the 3rd quarter I thought that Brion should've seen the field a lot early than what he did.

I'm also a huge supporter of Pelini and will back his actions up in everything he does but we need development in the QB position because Martinez could go down at any given moment. We need development in this position badly since Green transferred. I think Pelini needs to look into the depth of this position and development experience instead of relying on Martinez to stay healthy all year.

One reason and an example I can think of on why we need to develope depth and experience at the QB position is and I hate to bring up this team is Texas when Colt McCoy got injured in the BCS National Championship game.

The reason I bring up Colt McCoy and Garrett Gilbert is because of what happened during the BCS National Championship and what happened to Texas the previous year.

Gilbert came in and struggled for a few series but brought Texas back in the BCS game mainly because he had an All-American (Shipley) to throw too. In my opinion he didn't look good in the BCS title game but others will disagree with me.

The following year Gilbert struggled and Texas has a losing season and misses out in the bowl games and now he's transferring because he has struggled during the 2011 games and probably because he had less gameday experience than what he should've had.

The reason why Gilbert struggled IMO is because he didn't see enough game time during mop duty because Mack Brown decided to leave Colt in to rack up his stats for the Heisman. I'm not saying that Taylor will be up for the Heisman but when we are in the clear for a win like the Minnesota game we need to put our back ups in not only to keep our starters healthy for the MSU game but to gain experience and depth. IMO Carnes didn't get enough snaps and to show us what he is capable of doing. We never know when Martinez could get injuried and it would be comforting to know that our backup QB could bring us back for a victory or keep us ahead for a victory known that he's had enough experience. Carnes hasn't seen that much game experience this year especially during Chattanooga and Wyoming when we were clearing winning big.

All in all I would like to see Carnes get more reps in an actual game than in practice to build up his confidence and his experience and I hope other Husker fans would agree with me. Good win by my favorite team and GO BIG RED!!!

P.S. I'm posting this one my iPhone and I'm buzzing from my captain and come while watching the Wissy/Mich St game.

Don't forget also - our backups couldn't get Minnesota off the field in the fourth. It's tough to get reps for your backup when your defense isn't playing well. Although, I still question that sideline catch that was reviewed and overturned. One angle showed a lot of fumbling with the ball (you have to maintain possession out of bounds, I thought) and it looked like his toe landed out of bounds when did get control. Didn't seem like "irrefutable" video evidence, to me.

• Fire 1

Don't forget also - our backups couldn't get Minnesota off the field in the fourth. It's tough to get reps for your backup when your defense isn't playing well. Although, I still question that sideline catch that was reviewed and overturned. One angle showed a lot of fumbling with the ball (you have to maintain possession out of bounds, I thought) and it looked like his toe landed out of bounds when did get control. Didn't seem like "irrefutable" video evidence, to me.

I agree I don't think that receiver maintained full position of the football while being pushed out of bounds.

Carnes had an entire quarter. I think our personnel management was fine today, personally.

Carnes did not get a whole quarter because Minnesota ate up most of the 4th quarter due to our 2nd string in the game.

So that's Bo's fault? Beck's fault? Tmart's fault?

Maybe our defensive subs need reps too? It's not "all" about Brion, is it?

Carnes had an entire quarter. I think our personnel management was fine today, personally.

Carnes did not get a whole quarter because Minnesota ate up most of the 4th quarter due to our 2nd string in the game.

By that same logic, Taylor needs more reps because he only gets 2 quarters per game, since the other team has the ball sometimes too.

So that's Bo's fault? Beck's fault? Tmart's fault?

Maybe our defensive subs need reps too? It's not "all" about Brion, is it?

I'm gonna say it's Bo's fault because the game was already out of reach by midway through the 3rd quarter. Not only this game but other games (Chattanooga, Wyoming, and Wisconsin) we shouldve seen Carnes in the game a lot sooner. Sure the defense needs subs for the 2nd string and to give them experience but that was the 4th quarter and I'm talking about midway through the 3rd quarter.

I'm a huge Huge Pelini and Martinez supporter but this game was already out of reach so IMO and I'm sure I'm not alone one here but Carnes should've been in the game a lot sooner.

Answer a serious question for a minute. Does any Husker fan think that we can still win games if Martinez got hurt and Carnes was our starter with his very minimum gametime experience?

In the Postgame Presser, Pelini was asked why Carnes didn't go in earlier, and he basically said that the third quarter didn't go the way they wanted. I think they wanted one more good TD drive from the starters after halftime, and then it was going to be all reserves.

Had Jamal Turner brought in that easy TD catch, Carnes would have been playing in the 3rd quarter. Had the defense gotten off the field in the 4th quarter, he would have had way more reps (Carnes entered the game with 13:50, I think). Heck, if Carnes had gotten another first down, he would have gotten more reps.

There's only so much you can do. When you put your reserves in, your quality of play is going to decrease, which is going to usually mean more reps for your defensive backups and fewer for your offensive backups. The only other two games where we were in control enough to sub were Wyoming and UTC, and Carnes got reps in both of those games.

Carnes got the playing time based on how the team played. I agree with the decision to punch another one into the endzone before putting the backups in. We were obviously up by a bit, but the 3rd quarter didn't go very well. Better to really cement the score before throwin the scrubs in.

In all fairness Carnes should have been given more time long before this game came along.

Where would you have given him more time? He played in the fourth against UTC, played in the fourth against Wyoming and had a whole quarter against Minnesota. We haven't exactly put ourselves in a position this year to get our back ups into games...and you still need to get your starters enough playing time. Generally speaking, teams keep their starters in throughout most of the third quarter even in blowouts.

If Martinez and Co. had been able to score touchdowns on our third quarter drives, our backs up could have gotten into the game earlier. Instead, we obviously took our foot off the gas pedal and our players slacked off a little bit, which is frustrating to watch as a fan. I don't care how bad a team is - you want to put up as many points as you can. If you're winning by 30...try and win by 40. Call the dogs off later if that's the case. But when it's the third quarter and you still have your starters in you have to be playing with the intent to score. When you get your back ups in, then call conservatively. Until then it should be high-octane the entire time.

• Fire 1