Could any program compete with your "All Time" Husker team?

dvdcrr

I'm pretty confident an all time Husker greats team would stack up well against any other single teams all time greats. Heck, I think an all star Husker team would do fine against the best combined team from all other college teams. It is scary to think of what we could put on the field; the good old days of the pipeline, the backs and QB's we've had, and the D woulld be 2nd to none. Besides Suh, who from 2000 on makes this team?

I'm pretty confident an all time Husker greats team would stack up well against any other single teams all time greats. Heck, I think an all star Husker team would do fine against the best combined team from all other college teams. It is scary to think of what we could put on the field; the good old days of the pipeline, the backs and QB's we've had, and the D woulld be 2nd to none. Besides Suh, who from 2000 on makes this team?

Prince, maybe.

The important thing is "college football" without considering their pro careers. Tommie Frazier is one of the all-time great "college" QBs, but so many people would want to throw in a guy like Tom Brady. A guy like Aaron Taylor won multiple college awards, but never made it in the pros.

Could we have the "not in trouble" Phillips as a backup RB?

If we can have a "not in trouble" Phillips, I'm starting him. Sure we've had Rozier and many other great IB's but, when Phillips had his head screwed on straight (if he ever did) he was virtually unstoppable. Biggest waste of potential I've ever seen.

Maybe Demmorio Williams?

Prince, maybe.

Good point. How soon I forget. Probably good for 2nd team if not a starter. We've had numerous dominate safeties but he prob makes it at CB.

I thought about this earlier this season, and I would put an all-time Nebraska team up against anyone's. It all starts up front, and we would have OUTLAND and HEISMAN trophy winners that wouldn't even be first string. While the Miami's, USC's, Oklahoma's, Alabama's, Ohio St's, and maybe Notre Dame's would be formidable, I like our chances.

+1

Nice topic for discussion, but don't be fooled into thinking that an all-time Nebraska team would roll an all-time Oklahoma, USC, or any other storied programs. Those teams have had just as much success and just as many elite players go through their doors as we have; those teams would ALL be juggernauts.

Besides Suh, who from 2000 on makes this team?

Alex Henery or the list is not valid.

Good catch. I hadn't even thought about kickers.

I guess I'll have to actually make up a 2 deep before I go spouting off again.

However, I will be surprised if Ruud or David make the cut for an "all time" NU team. Heck I'll have to double check before I put Prince on my roster.

I guess the point of my original whiny comment was that it's been quite awhile since we've been real dominate. There have been a handful of exceptional individuals since 2000 but if I simply cherry picked 1970-1999, I wouldn't be afraid to field that team at all.

The thing about a guy like Amukamara is that his stats probably suffer a little because for the latter half of his career, nobody threw at him. And that one horrid game last year against Blackmon where Prince just ganked it up will skew it against him, too. But if there's a two-deep, he's definitely got to be in the conversation. Not sure he'd make it, but top four cornerback, all-time? He's in that conversation.

Just thinking of USC...

QBs - Palmer and Leinart Heisman winners

RB - Simpson, Bush, Allen, Garrett, Davis, Bell, White (Charles and Lindell)

FB - Cunningham

WR - Keyshawn Johnson, Swann, Mike Williams

Oline - Yary, Munoz, Mathews, Boselli, Budde

Dline - can't think of any offhand, most likely this is their weak spot

LB - Seau, more of the Matthews Clan

DB - Lott, Polamalu, Browner, Battle

quite a bit of talent there.