The BIG is perceived to be down this year, any thoughts?

The computers hate us, as a conference, the sports writers hate us, so does the average person. So, what do you think of he BIG as a conference. Does ESPN wield that much power? Are we, as a conference, playing quality ball? This is not a "SEC sucks" thread. Think of it as a "Rose colored glasses" thread. Are we that good or are we PAC 12 fodder.

I guess I would need some context for this. Sagarin has the Big Ten ranked third-ish, right next to the Pac-12, so I wouldn't call that particularly "down."

Because Wiscy couldn't pull their heads out enough to beat Sparty we won't have a team in the BCS National Championship game, but that's nothing new. This conference tends to eat itself along the course of the season.

Overall I'd say the B1G has some pretty good teams, some pretty bad teams, and a lot of mediocre teams. Unfortunately, right now Nebraska is one of those mediocre teams. That's what I care about most.

Down year or up year, the B1G still has the top prize, "The Rose Bowl". The grand daddy of them all. I want to see the Huskers back there, to get their first win in that bowl. Unless its for the bcs n/c, once every four years, i think. We have a good shot at getting there quite often.

Maybe there are haters at some of these sports talk shows, that don't like the B1G because of that, but it does seem that the power is in the sec/big-12 this year. I remember a lot of us thought the big-10 was over rated for years, till we got in. lol.........

GBR!!!

Big XII

North W/L PCT South W/L PCT

Iowa State 3-4 .429 Baylor Bears 4-2 .667

Kansas Jayhawks 2-5 .286 Oklahoma Sooners 6-1 .857

Kansas State Wildcats 7-0 1.00 Oklahoma State Cowboys 7-0 1.00

Missouri Tigers 3-4 .429 Texas Longhorns 4-2 .667

Texas A&M Aggies 5-2 .714

Texas Tech Red Raiders 5-2 .714

3 teams below .500, 7 teams above .500, 3 above .750, and 2 at 1.000.

SEC

Eastern W/L PCT Western W/L PCT

South Carolina 6-1 .857 Alabama 8-0 1.00

Georgia 5-2 .714 LSU 8-0 1.00

Florida 4-3 .571 Arkansas 6-1 .857

Vanderbilt 4-3 .571 Auburn 5-3 .625

Kentucky 3-4 .429 Ole Miss 2-5 .286

Tennessee 3-4 .429 Mississippi State 3-4 .429

4 teams below .500, 8 teams above .500, 4 teams above .750, and 2 teams at 1.000.

ACC

Atlantic W/L PCT Coastal W/L PCT

Clemson 8-0 1.00 Virginia Tech 7-1 .875

Wake Forest 5-2 .714 Georgia Tech 6-2 .750

Florida State 4-3 .571 Miami 4-3 .571

NC State 4-3 .571 Virginia 4-3 .571

Maryland 2-5 .286 Duke 3-4 .429

Boston College 1-6 .143 North Carolina 5-3 .625

3 teams below .500, 9 teams above .500, 3 teams at or above .750, 1 team at 1.000

Pac 12

North W/L PCT South W/L PCT

Stanford 7-0 1.00 USC 6-1 .857

Oregon 6-1 .857 Arizona State 5-2 .714

Washington 5-2 .714 UCLA 3-4 .429

Oregon State 2-5 .286 Arizona 2-5 .286

California 4-3 .571 Utah 3-4 .429

Washington State 3-4 .429 Colorado 1-7 .125

6 teams below .500, 6 teams above .500, 3 teams above .750, 1 team at 1.000

BIG

Legends W/L PCT Leaders W/L PCT

Michigan State 6-1 .857 Penn State 7-1 .875

Nebraska 6-1 .857 Wisconsin 6-1 .857

Michigan 6-1 .857 Purdue 4-3 .571

Iowa 5-2 .714 Illinois 6-2 .750

Northwestern 2-5 .286 Ohio State 4-3 .571

Minnesota 1-6 .143 Indiana 1-7 .125

3 teams below .500, 9 teams above .500, 6 teams at or above .750, 0 teams at 1.000

As a whole it looks like the BIG is very competitive with lots of good teams...just no stand-out team.

AP #11, 14, 15, 18, 19. That’s a decent showing. The B12 looks a bit better right now. But it’s almost a certainty that Okie Lite and K.State go down in the coming weeks. Then the B12 will be scattered through the AP about the same as us. The SEC is a notch above everyone else. And surprisingly the PAC-12 looks pretty good this year. Even though their conf probably isn't any deeper than the B1G or B12.

Bowl eligible teams after 8 weeks:

B1G = 6 teams (Iowa is 1 win away)

SEC = 4 teams (Auburn, Georgia are 1 win away)

Big 12 = 3 teams (Texas A&M, Texas Tech are 1 win away)

ACC = 3 teams (Wake Forest is 1 win away)

Pac-12 = 2 teams (Washington, Arizona State are 1 win away)

Big East = 1 team (Rutgers, Syracuse, West Virginia are 1 win away)

At this point I think a lot of it is the non-conference schedule. Only big matchups that come to mind are tOSU losing to Miami, Penn losing to Bama, and Illinois barely beating ASU.

The way things are shaping up it seems to me like B10 could be poised to have a good bowl season. Rose Bowl who knows, but the SEC bowls we could win 2 if not all 3.

Nebraska isn't actually bowl eligible, yet, since we played an FCS team.

Playing one FCS team still counts as a win, but playing two or more FCS teams in the same season count as only one win, even if you win them all. This is the scenerio K-State was in a couple years or so ago. They played 2 FCS teams, and went 6-6, but weren't bowl eligible because only 5 of those wins counted.

Playing one FCS team still counts as a win, but playing two or more FCS teams in the same season count as only one win, even if you win them all. This is the scenerio K-State was in a couple years or so ago. They played 2 FCS teams, and went 6-6, but weren't bowl eligible because only 5 of those wins counted.

Really? My bad. I thought FCS wins didn't count towards bowl eligibility. :leghump:

The reason the Big 10 is perceived as being down comes from looking at the BCS top 10. The Big 10 has zero teams in the top 10, Big 12 has three teams in the top 10, SEC has three, Pac 12 has two, and ACC has one. With the Big 12, they could possibly have two finish in the top 10 if OU beats Okie State. KState will not be there at the end. SEC will have at least two stay in the top 10. I'd guess if Wisconsin wins out they will be top 10.

People are always hating on the Big Ten, it's a different brand of football. Just because its teams are predominantly power football teams and not spreading 5 wide every play these idiot analysts don't give the conference its due. As a conferenece right now I feel we are very strong, although there are no standout teams right now we have several teams that could compete with the best in the nation in my opinion. As a member of the BIG just get used to the criticism, we'll let our conference do the talking in bowl season!

I think it has a lot to do with journalists wanting to stir the pot. The Big Ten has the largest population footprint of NCAA conferences. 26% of the country lives in Big Ten land, I think the SEC is second but not as big...anything controversial about the conference is going to get some reads and thats how they make their money.

Is the Big Ten down this year? Maybe...but compared to what? Last year? then no not really