Late game coaching FAIL

Foppa

So basically...this topic is too soon...celebrate now, and who cares about what could possibly happen later. Not that any of the posters on here care...but ask Tom Osborne if he would keep all the starters in a game that was out of hand. Maybe some of you remember what he did for the NU program.

This game was never really out of MSU's reach until late in the 4th. During Osborne's tenure, many times the game was out of reach by the middle of the 3rd.

Topic FAIL.

What's your plan if Martinez gets hurt? 50 plays a game under wildcat with Burkhead? How scary was that when he went out? I love the outcome, I hate the coaching decision to not get game experience to backups. NU needs all the game time they can get to these guys when the opportunity comes up. How else do you get these kids ready when their number is called?

He had about as much of a chance getting hurt standing on the sideline as he did handing the ball off. That argument is horse poopy. The only late game coaching fail was leaving Rex in after he got hurt and not using the several freshmen whose redshirts they've burned.

center steps on his foot(happened last year) a fumbled snap... a broken play.

On a passing play. Invalid argument.

so a center has never stepped on the QB footon a running play? theres never been a fumbled snap on a running play? or a broken play(rb goes the wrong direction for instance) ?? ok... if you say so

Thanks for the comments. Just wanted to see what people thought. Now I know. Live for the moment. Hey...at least the moment is good! Hope all the guys can stay healthy and keep a nice run for the rest of the season, and what a performance by the Blackshirts. GBR, have a great Saturday Husker fans, I'm out.

• Fire 1

Topic FAIL.

What's your plan if Martinez gets hurt? 50 plays a game under wildcat with Burkhead? How scary was that when he went out? I love the outcome, I hate the coaching decision to not get game experience to backups. NU needs all the game time they can get to these guys when the opportunity comes up. How else do you get these kids ready when their number is called?

He had about as much of a chance getting hurt standing on the sideline as he did handing the ball off. That argument is horse poopy. The only late game coaching fail was leaving Rex in after he got hurt and not using the several freshmen whose redshirts they've burned.

so a center has never stepped on the QB footon a running play? theres never been a fumbled snap on a running play? or a broken play(rb goes the wrong direction for instance) ?? ok... if you say so

Examples, please.

Also I never said it's impossible for a QB to get hurt when he's in there just handing it off. But I am saying there's a minute chance of it. Seriously, there's virtually no chance. It's just as likely he'll get hurt tripping over something on the sideline.

If they had him out there throwing the ball or running around, I could see the concern. But this? Huge reach.

Topic FAIL.

Examples, please.

Also I never said it's impossible for a QB to get hurt when he's in there just handing it off. But I am saying there's a minute chance of it. Seriously, there's virtually no chance. It's just as likely he'll get hurt tripping over something on the sideline.

If they had him out there throwing the ball or running around, I could see the concern. But this? Huge reach.

He has a better chance of getting run over by a bus than getting hurt handing off for a handful of plays. But of course after a BIG win we have to bitch & sob about something.....

GBR!!

Thanks Bo, for leaving your starting QB in the ENTIRE game when the game was set by the 4th quarter. What were you trying to prove? Way to tarnish a great game by not giving backups a chance to get game experience. Love the win, but this wasn't the way to punctuate it.

You honestly think this game was tarnished because Carnes didn't play in the fourth quarter to run out the clock? Really?

You and I obviously have extremely different understandings of what tarnishes a football game. Would I have put Carnes in? Yes. Does it tarnish or ruin the game that he didn't? Absolutely not.

Ridiculous.

• Fire 1

Thanks Bo, for leaving your starting QB in the ENTIRE game when the game was set by the 4th quarter. What were you trying to prove? Way to tarnish a great game by not giving backups a chance to get game experience. Love the win, but this wasn't the way to punctuate it.

Go away. Huge win and you find a way to b1tch about Taylor/Bo complex. Go away, Iowa is always looking for fans we don't need you.

• Fire 1

Thanks for the comments. Just wanted to see what people thought. Now I know. Live for the moment. Hey...at least the moment is good! Hope all the guys can stay healthy and keep a nice run for the rest of the season, and what a performance by the Blackshirts. GBR, have a great Saturday Husker fans, I'm out.

Yep, but I just don't think there was much of a concern there at the end. We didn't blow them out enough to put in backups until the last drive, which ended up lasting 6 plays and 1 yard. So at that point I think we rotated in other players but kept Taylor in. No point in making a switch by that point anyway.

JMO!

I don't think the win was tarnished by any means because of not putting someone in, but why was is it we want to take Rex (I know he was already dinged) out and not TM. I realize the odds of something happening to him are astronomical, but is it worth taking the chance? I know it's just mop-up duty but getting on the field for those last few minutes, even to just hand off, mean a lot to guys sitting on the bench. And any game time reps are important, more so than practice time.

I realize in the overall scope of things it's not that important, I'm just surprised that they don't make the change.

You honestly think this game was tarnished because Carnes didn't play in the fourth quarter to run out the clock? Really?

You and I obviously have extremely different understandings of what tarnishes a football game. Would I have put Carnes in? Yes. Does it tarnish or ruin the game that he didn't? Absolutely not.

Ridiculous.

Ok...'tarnish' was a bad word. NU played great, deserved the win, and it should not be downplayed at all. Just upset at leaving players in in the last 5 minutes that absolutely didn't need to be in and risk injury, and at the same time not allowing reps to the backups, even if it is just 'handing the ball off'. Football is a game of repetition....the more you do it, the better you become. From the call from the sideline, to the huddle, to the snap, to the hand-off or pass. I don't know of any team or young player that can't benefit by getting that down.